What's new

A PEEK AT JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH REDUX (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
First off, I enjoyed the previous presentation of Journey to the Center of the Earth on Blu-ray and never found it to be the travesty that a few others did. I began by skimming that disc again - and for something that was an older transfer I still found it nice, and I wasn't one of those people who saw excessive edge enhancement on it and still don't. Oh, I know screen caps were blown up and "halos" were pointed out, but only on certain portions of the frame, none of which were visible to me watching it (and that may just be me), but again no one has ever explained to me why or how anyone would apply edge enhancement so specifically in a shot and have it not affect everything else in the scene. Having been in a room at Foto-Kem where I saw edge enhancement being applied, I can tell you it affected EVERYTHING in the frame, not just specific things and they had to push it really far to notice it. In any case, I stood up for the previous release and for what it was, an older transfer, it was fine for me.

Now we have a new 4K scan off the original camera negative and already people are playing the Blu-ray on their computers and comparing it to screen shots at some other site. Really?

In any case, I gave it a look-see late last night and it's a stunner. I had not much problem with the previous release's color, but here the color is absolute perfection - wonderfully saturated as it was on its original release, with really accurate skin tones, great contrast and gorgeous detail. Of course, one person has already said the ubiquitous teal and orange and they are as wrong as wrong can be. They think it looks like the color in The Terminator. Clearly that is not the case. It looks like the color looked in 1959 for Fox films. There is nothing in the color timing that is that different from the previous transfer, it's just more accurate in the skin tones and in the saturation and it is beautiful to see. To my ears, the sound also seems better on this release. It's really just a beautiful and perfect transfer from Fox and major applause to those who did it. And there you have one person's opinion on the new transfer of Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the preview, looking forward to getting mine next week (bundled with First Men in the Moon).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
But I need to see those comparison shots to convince me that I need to re-buy this title! :)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I was happy with the previous transfer too. I will probably pick this up before it sells out though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am so happy to see that this is being released as a remastered version. One of my favorite classics.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Waiting for Twilight Time's current delays with Cinram's replication facilities to sort themselves out...I ordered the entire March crop of releases and they're probably holding this back to ship with the other titles... :(

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Mine has yet to ship but since it is bundled with First Men In The Moon, and there's a week-long delay on that title, that's whats holding it up.

Anybody here plan on writing up a comparison with the 2012 Brendan Frasier version? (which I've never seen)?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark Booth said:
For those that missed the other discussions (in other threads), here's three screenshots comparing the 2012 Twilight Time Blu-ray to the 2015 Twilight Time Blu-ray.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/116122/picture:0

The latest release is stunning!

Mark

Wow, Mark....

That is not just some minor tweaking. That is a night and day improvement.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I'm a moron when it comes to Twilight Time's site. Is the version showing on that site the remastered one? It seems to have the exact same cover as the previous edition. Thanks.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The covers are very different.

The original had a hand holding a lamp at the bottom (of a rock face) illuminating the title at the top.

The new version has the cast at the top (of a chasm) looking down at the title at the bottom.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
David Weicker said:
The covers are very different.

The original had a hand holding a lamp at the bottom (of a rock face) illuminating the title at the top.

The new version has the cast at the top (of a chasm) looking down at the title at the bottom.
That's the one I'm seeing on their page, which is what prompted my post. It also matches one on Amazon going for 99 bucks.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Wow, Mark....

That is not just some minor tweaking. That is a night and day improvement.

The amazing thing is how cropped (and slightly stretched) the 2012 release was. We aren't talking just a few pixels.

Mark

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Mark Booth said:
For those that missed the other discussions (in other threads), here's three screenshots comparing the 2012 Twilight Time Blu-ray to the 2015 Twilight Time Blu-ray.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/116122/picture:0
The latest release is stunning!
Mark
Probably should be pointed out that still #2, Mason with news vendor in front of book shop window, is a process - rear projection - shot. Can't wait to see my copy, on Monday, with any luck.

Rory*M

Grip
I agree with everything you wrote, Bruce, except as to the merits of the 2012 Blu-ray transfer. It was terrible, and at the time Nick Redman said that it was the best we could expect from Fox for at least a decade. Well, it looks as if Fox was as unhappy with that transfer as its critics were, and it couldn't have been cheap for them to do this digital restoration off what are obviously badly faded original camera negatives. However, warning to lovers of this movie and collectors in general -- DON'T THROW AWAY OR OTHERWISE GET RID OF THE 2012 DISC! If you value viewing the full 1959 CinemaScope trailer, which includes some shots that didn't make the final cut, you'll need the 2012 disc to view it in 1080p. For some reason, only a muddy cropped version of the trailer is on the 2015 disc.

And a 4K restoration of the 1968 PLANET OF THE APES is very much desired. I suspect Fox won't put one out until the 2018 50th Anniversary of the franchise -- and most likely as an actual 4K Blu-ray UHD disc.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
haineshisway said:
First off, I enjoyed the previous presentation of Journey to the Center of the Earth on Blu-ray and never found it to be the travesty that a few others did. I began by skimming that disc again - and for something that was an older transfer I still found it nice, and I wasn't one of those people who saw excessive edge enhancement on it and still don't. Oh, I know screen caps were blown up and "halos" were pointed out, but only on certain portions of the frame, none of which were visible to me watching it (and that may just be me), but again no one has ever explained to me why or how anyone would apply edge enhancement so specifically in a shot and have it not affect everything else in the scene.

Haloing is indicative of digital compression, and so the transfer either has a low bit rate or else it was an upconversion from some lower resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks