What's new

The Returned Season 1 A&E (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Anyone watching this? Interesting premise. Sort of a reverse of The Leftovers. The first episode was good. Not sure how far they can take the concept.

http://www.aetv.com/the-returned

I think the concept would work as a one season show but I think they're planning for multiple seasons.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw the first two episodes (the second is already up On Demand) and while it hasn't really grabbed me, I think it's an interesting enough idea that I'll stick with it a little longer. The cast is a really excellent assortment of character actors.

I can't believe there hasn't been a "The original is better" post yet.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Ah I didn't know there was an "original". The idea is certainly not new, was it a TV show?

I remember when I first started watching Dexter, it seemed really familiar to me. I thought I had the same idea for a similar show. It was only after watching the first ep that I realized that I didn't think of it, I read Darkly Dreaming Dexter years earlier.

It feels like I watched or read something similar to The Returned already.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MarkMel said:
Ah I didn't know there was an "original". The idea is certainly not new, was it a TV show?

The original was a French TV series, "Les Revenants". ABC used a very similar premise for its series "Resurrection". A&E's show is an English language remake of the French series.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
TravisR said:
I saw the first two episodes (the second is already up On Demand) and while it hasn't really grabbed me, I think it's an interesting enough idea that I'll stick with it a little longer. The cast is a really excellent assortment of character actors.

I can't believe there hasn't been a "The original is better" post yet.

Well it is :)

That said, the remake (certainly the first two) is virtually a shot for shot remake with English-speaking actors - ok maybe a slight exaggeration but it is pretty close. The do a pretty good job of capturing the atmosphere of the original though - the only thing missing is the amazing score from the original.

So all told, if you haven't seen the original, it seems this is a pretty good representation of the story, but yes I do think the original has a slightly stronger atmosphere (probably due to location and a slightly colder tone to the show) and a better score. Performances vary, though its too early to tell and I have heard rumours that the story will change as it progresses - the French series hasn't shown Season 2 yet but the resolution to Season 1 didn't please everyone.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

The superb opening sequence from the original - shame its not in HD as there's a lot of detail in there that is easily missed.

Joe S

Second Unit
I haven't seen the original series yet. Sundance channel ran all 8 episodes over the course of four days and I recorded them on my DVD recorder hard drive.

I think I'll watch the A&E series before I take a look at them.

It looks pretty good, but seems familiar since I watched Resurrection on ABC.

I thought the girl's parents reaction to her return was strange. They were almost unemotional. Her sister seemed appropriately shocked to tears.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:
Well it is :)

That said, the remake (certainly the first two) is virtually a shot for shot remake with English-speaking actors - ok maybe a slight exaggeration but it is pretty close. The do a pretty good job of capturing the atmosphere of the original though - the only thing missing is the amazing score from the original.

So all told, if you haven't seen the original, it seems this is a pretty good representation of the story, but yes I do think the original has a slightly stronger atmosphere (probably due to location and a slightly colder tone to the show) and a better score. Performances vary, though its too early to tell and I have heard rumours that the story will change as it progresses - the French series hasn't shown Season 2 yet but the resolution to Season 1 didn't please everyone.
I really enjoyed the French version, but it just kind of "ended" without any real closure. Is there a Season 2 coming up or did I miss it already?

This is virtually a shot for shot remake, but I like the actors so I'll stick with it. I see the similarities to "Resurrection", but this is very different.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
There is going to be a Season 2 so a lot will depend where they take it next. I believe it will be out nearer the end of the year. Not sure what they will do about Victor as the boy must surely have grown up a bit since Season 1 so doubt they could just carry on unless it takes place some time after or they recast.

I think this is much better than Resurrection which started well, but then lost it completely IMO.

The third episode continued in a similar vein hitting the same plot points, but couple of bits on info thrown in that I hadn't picked up before - they mentioned at the funeral a tragic event at a dam from the past which Im sure is only hinted at in the French one.

Glad to see creepy boy Victor is still giving off his creepy vibe though. Next episode is his I believe, or more importantly his backstory. Overall Im enjoying this and it will be interesting to see if and when the two stories separate.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Good fourth one and I think there were some slight differences here - I don't recall us being explicitly told the wound on Lena's back matches the one that Camille had when she died and I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I thought Peter the psychologist realised who Victor was as well as Victor realising who Peter was..

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Still an interesting ride. I'm enjoying the show and it's creepy vibe.

Who are these returned people and why did they come back?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I liked the season finale, we learned a little and got a glimpse of where the show might be going.

I just read that they started filming season 2 prior to the airing of season 1 so creepy Victor should look the same. Nope, that was for the French version. That's what I get for just reading headlines.

Looks like Camille has gone Rogue. No lovin' for her in the future - not without consequences anyway.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I kind of suspected the overall arc of the dam and village would be where the French show was going (that has still to be properly revealed yet), but the series have really split now and it is difficult to judge until the French series releases Season 2. The Returned US seems to be treading water a little for a few episodes but the last one has left a lot of interesting threads to pick up on.

Overally, I think I prefer Les Revenants, simply for the stronger atmosphere and score and it feels a little less melodramatic than The Returned. That said, I think they can both stand apart now and probably pursue different stories and threads which will be interesting to see.

Is Victor gone ? Does this suggest each character simply needs to let go of whatever "issue" they have that has caused them to return ? Very similar to Resurrection if so.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode and then just not interested. I am curious if they ever explained why the dead come back?

Thanks!

christopher*

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hi.

I enjoyed the series. I ended up watching the ten episodes and I am disappointed it is ending. I didn't watch the French version, so I'm not sure how true to the original the US version was, but I was intrigued at where the series would go.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well I have just finished Season 2 of Les Revenants which is the French original. It is fair to say that if you like Season 1, then Season 2 should be worth your while. The tone of the show continues, but more importantly the show finally gives up its secrets and provides a fairly fitting closure to the storylines, whilst leaving a couple of threads if they should pick up a Season 3. However, I would be equally satisfied if the show did not continue as there is certainly a sense of finality to the season.

As suspected Victor is the key, though to reveal more would be spoiling things. All of the cast from the first season return, with additional "returnees" adding to the plot. What is different here is the show spends much more time exploring the past as well as the present and one of the great things about the show that I loved was gradually putting all the pieces together as each episode revealed more. Victor's arc in particular is great and there is a wonderful sense of coming full circle back to the first episode that makes this feel like a natural conclusion to the show.

It's also clear the the US remake was definitely moving away from this storyline - a key character that was revealed as a returnee in the remake is well and truly alive in the French version for example.

If anyone was intrigued enough by the American remake or has the first season of the original, I would highly recommend Season 2 which is out on Bluray in the UK, though I think you would need to see Season 1 first as there are some differences.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well I have just finished Season 2 of Les Revenants which is the French original. It is fair to say that if you like Season 1, then Season 2 should be worth your while. The tone of the show continues, but more importantly the show finally gives up its secrets and provides a fairly fitting closure to the storylines, whilst leaving a couple of threads if they should pick up a Season 3. However, I would be equally satisfied if the show did not continue as there is certainly a sense of finality to the season.

As suspected Victor is the key, though to reveal more would be spoiling things. All of the cast from the first season return, with additional "returnees" adding to the plot. What is different here is the show spends much more time exploring the past as well as the present and one of the great things about the show that I loved was gradually putting all the pieces together as each episode revealed more. Victor's arc in particular is great and there is a wonderful sense of coming full circle back to the first episode that makes this feel like a natural conclusion to the show.

It's also clear the the US remake was definitely moving away from this storyline - a key character that was revealed as a returnee in the remake is well and truly alive in the French version for example.

If anyone was intrigued enough by the American remake or has the first season of the original, I would highly recommend Season 2 which is out on Bluray in the UK, though I think you would need to see Season 1 first as there are some differences.

Where did you find Season 2 of the original, far superior French version?

I'm not sure, it has been so long, but I think Season 1 was on Sundance, IFC or some other slightly "off the wall" channel.

Didn't care for the American version, just didn't quite get it right.

And Victor. Wow, what a creepy child, yet obviously essential to the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks