What's new

Amazon Instant shutting down it's Offline Viewing App for purchased content (1 Viewer)

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
I just found these 2 articles:

"
PSA: Amazon shuttering Unbox on March 29th; download your movies now

By Christopher White Feb 25, 2015

amazon_story.jpg

Once upon a time, Amazon had a product called Unbox that let its customers download rented and purchased movies to their desktop and play them, even when offline. It was a convenient way for travelers to consume content when on the go since you usually can't stream video on a plane or train.

Then last month, Amazon seemed to start shifting away from Unbox and over to it's Instant Video platform. Links to download Unbox vanished from the website, and CSRs provided conflicting information on whether it was available or not. Today the mystery is over: Amazon is shutting down the service completely on March 29th and customers will no longer be able to view purchased content offline after that date.

The news isn't all bleak though. In an email sent out to Unbox customers today, Amazon details steps that can be taken to download purchased content and play it through Windows Media Player, even offline. However, if you don't take steps to download your purchased material by Unbox's drop dead date, the content will be forever lost to you from an offline viewing perspective.

As someone who has used Amazon Unbox, we want to let you know about important upcoming changes to the application.

Amazon Unbox will no longer be available after March 29, 2015. This means you won't be able to use Unbox to view or download videos after this date. You can however continue to watch the movies and TV episodes you've purchased and previously downloaded on your PC after this date by fol
lowing the steps below.

Important: The following two-step process will give you access to your purchased and downloaded videos through Windows Media Player, a standard media player included with most PCs. If you need to download or re-install Windows Media Player please go to Microsoft Support (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/download-windows-media-player).

1. Update the Amazon Unbox application to the latest version. This version includes a one-time license conversion that will make your videos available within Windows Media Player. Open the Unbox application and there will be an "Upgrade" notification you can use to do this. You can also click the "Settings" option in the Unbox menu and select "Check for Amazon Unbox Upgrades."

2. Use Unbox to download all purchased videos you wish to view offline on your PC by March 29, 2015.

Once you've completed these two steps, your downloaded videos will be available through Windows Media Player on your PC, and you can uninstall Amazon Unbox without losing access to them. If you don't download your purchased videos onto your PC and install the latest version of Unbox by this date, you won't be able to watch your purchased videos offline on your PC.

As always, you can also stream your purchased movies and TV episodes on your PC through your web browser as well as on hundreds of compatible devices, including Smart TV's, game consoles, iOS, Android, and Fire OS devices.

For more information about ways to watch, go to:

https://www.amazon.com/watchnow

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

It's sad to see customers losing choices, and it's unclear why Amazon is shuttering the Unbox service. We suspect that the movie studios don't like the idea of customers having content stored on personal devices, but there's been no official explanation.

http://www.neowin.net/news/psa-amazon-shuttering-unbox-on-march-29th-download-your-movies-now

"

"

Amazon Goes Stream-only for Video? Deprecates Offline Viewing App

Rod Trent Mar 2, 2015

unboxdead.jpg

Did you catch this?

One of the only redeeming qualities for the Amazon video streaming service was the ability to grab your purchased or rented items for offline viewing. I regularly opted for this choice over Xbox Video so I could watch TV or movies on a long flight on my Surface Pro 3. Amazon's desktop apps for music and video are notoriously bad and quirky, but they do work. Of course, with such a heavy investment in a heavily customized version of Android on all its branded devices, I'm sure there's a sort of "who cares" mentality when it comes to improving or stabilizing apps for other platforms. I mean, Windows Phone is still just an annoying flea for the company and I seriously never expect anything coming from Amazon for that platform. The shopping app is available for Windows Phone but it rarely gets updated and is just as quirky as the company's other apps.

Unfortunately, it looks like Amazon is exiting the offline video business. The company sent an email to customers last week announcing changes. The email states:

"
Amazon Unbox will no longer be available after March 29, 2015. This means you won’t be able to use Unbox to view or download videos after this date.

"

Additionally, the email delivers some steps to perform if you want to store your purchases offline for viewing later on, and suggests that the supported method from here on out is through Windows Media Player…

Important: The following two-step process will give you access to your purchased and downloaded videos through Windows Media Player, a standard media player included with most PCs. If you need to download or re-install Windows Media Player please go to Microsoft Support (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/download-windows-media-player).

• Update the Amazon Unbox application to the latest version. This version includes a one-time license conversion that will make your videos available within Windows Media Player. Open the Unbox application and there will be an "Upgrade" notification you can use to do this. You can also click the "Settings" option in the Unbox menu and select "Check for Amazon Unbox Upgrades."

• Use Unbox to download all purchased videos you wish to view offline on your PC by March 29, 2015.

Once you’ve completed these two steps, your downloaded videos will be available through Windows Media Player on your PC, and you can uninstall Amazon Unbox without losing access to them. If you don’t download your purchased videos onto your PC and install the latest version of Unbox by this date, you won’t be able to watch your purchased videos offline on your PC.

As always, you can also stream your purchased movies and TV episodes on your PC through your web browser as well as on hundreds of compatible devices, including Smart TV’s, game consoles, iOS, Android, and Fire OS devices.

There's no mention yet of any similar moves for the Amazon Music app, but it's possible that the company is heading in that direction. It's also possible that since Prime Music is a major feature for Prime subscribers, and a stab at competing with Spotify, that the music app will remain intact. We'll see.

This change, though, makes Xbox Video a more appetizing service since you can still rent and download movies. Note, it doesn't explicitly say that offline viewing is going away for good, just that Amazon Unbox is being put to pasture. Let's hope that the company is working on a replacement, but considering the direction of the industry, Amazon's cost-to-revenue difficulties, and investments in early, untested and scrutinized technologies (Amazon Echo, Fire Phone, etc.), it's doubtful.

http://winsupersite.com/music-videos/amazon-goes-stream-only-video-deprecates-offline-viewing-app

"

I been considering buying non-UV/DMA TV shows on Amazon Instant for awhile, but I guess I won't now.

Does this mean iTunes will be the only VOD service (Until CFF is finally released) that allows you to download files of your purchased content that you can transfer to other devices?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Wow, almost forgot about that--

("Amazon has an offline?" "Unbox?" "Holy crap, I remember that! :blink: ")

Unbox was from way, way back during the first primeval early-00's days of iPod-downloadable iTunes, when other studios didn't want to play with Apple's one-price format, and all tried to come up with their own competition, most of which could only be played on the desktop or Roku.

iTunes downloadable files still have a place in the market with Apple devices, but every other companies have long since forgotten about that business model...Suprised Amazon remembered it either, unless they were cleaning up some old memos from a file somewhere.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
It has been rumored thatAmazon was in talks with becoming a Ultraviolet supporter. I wonder if this plays into that and the upcoming UV CFF? Possible I guess. Either way you are not losing access to your purchased electronic sell thru videos.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I been considering buying non-UV/DMA TV shows on Amazon Instant for awhile, but I guess I won't now.

Does this mean iTunes will be the only VOD service (Until CFF is finally released) that allows you to download files of your purchased content that you can transfer to other devices?
No itunes isnt the only service offering downloads you can do the same with VUDU, Disney Movies Anywhere and cant you still download purchased files at amazon on their tablets and devices even after unbox leaves? Doesnt Unbox only effect PC downloads? This seems like a digital Much Ado.

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
Towergrove said:
No itunes isnt the only service offering downloads you can do the same with VUDU, Disney Movies Anywhere and cant you still download purchased files at amazon on their tablets and devices even after unbox leaves?
You can download for offline viewing with Vudu & DMA, but the files are useless for transferring to other devices. You have to jump through hoops just to find the download location for Vudu downloads, while iTunes & Amazon Instant downloads are easily acessable.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Don't think it's going to hit mainstream media. This was announced 3 weeks ago, and the only mention in the media I can find was on a streaming media blog. Not a high traffic one either. Wasn't posted on any major tech blogs. Most likely its a little used app. There were a few people in that Amazon thread upset, but that was less than 10 people. In my opinion, not many people will miss it, or even knew about it in the first place.

I do hope this is being done because they are fixing to rollout UV capability.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Joshua Clinard said:

I hope so as well. It would give UV a needed vote of confidence, IMO.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
Don't think it's going to hit mainstream media. This was announced 3 weeks ago, and the only mention in the media I can find was on a streaming media blog. Not a high traffic one either. Wasn't posted on any major tech blogs. Most likely its a little used app. There were a few people in that Amazon thread upset, but that was less than 10 people. In my opinion, not many people will miss it, or even knew about it in the first place.

Im being patient because I think when it gets closer to shut off time we will see something on the news feeds about this. This would be a great engadget story. Im sure the competition would love to get their jabs in as well. ;)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bruceames said:
I hope so as well. It would give UV a needed vote of confidence, IMO.
I agree something is up I just wonder what it is. This decision made me not purchase the Amazon Fire for my TV though. Knowing how they treat customers with little info and direction (I received nothing on this closure via email and I am a customer myself). With this poor customer service and treatment I decided to wait for the Roku 4 that is coming out very soon.

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
I decided to wait for the Roku 4 that is coming out very soon.
Please tell me you know something I don't because the Roku has fallen so far behind IMO...

One thing I would love in a 4 is a recently watched section that shows what you are watching across services. Amazon has that but only with shows you are currently watching on Amazon. Right now I'm watching The Americans on Amazon, The Fall on Netflix, and Gotham on Hulu - it would be awesome to have those on the main menu so I can go right to them.

I think Amazon joining UV would be amazing because with Instant Prime it, for the first time, would put your UV collection and a subscription service together. I also like the idea of a digital copy being added to your account at the same time you order a disc...

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
Patrick Donahue said:
Please tell me you know something I don't because the Roku has fallen so far behind IMO...

One thing I would love in a 4 is a recently watched section that shows what you are watching across services. Amazon has that but only with shows you are currently watching on Amazon. Right now I'm watching The Americans on Amazon, The Fall on Netflix, and Gotham on Hulu - it would be awesome to have those on the main menu so I can go right to them.

I think Amazon joining UV would be amazing because with Instant Prime it, for the first time, would put your UV collection and a subscription service together. I also like the idea of a digital copy being added to your account at the same time you order a disc...

That doesn't make sense. How does UV fit in with a subscription service? UV is all about EST. I look at Amazon Instant & Amazon Prime Instant as 2 different services that just happen to share the same app.

P

Patrick Donahue

What I mean is - If you use UV now you use one app for EST (say Vudu) and another app for subscription (Netflix or Amazon). If Amazon joined UV you could use one app, one interface, for both of your movie needs.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
Im just hearing that with the recent price reduction on the ROKU 3 that ROKU 4 is on the Horizon. I think the Roku interface is very outdated. Its like using the Atari 2600 vs the other options out there with much better ones. A better signal antenna would be nice. Of course the Roku interface is very simple though which is a plus for newbies.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't know what else you would want in a Roku interface. It is so easy, versus all the clutter and complexity in other systems such as the Apple TV with all of the apps you can't uninstall even if you don't want them.

P

Patrick Donahue

Joshua Clinard said:
I don't know what else you would want in a Roku interface. It is so easy, versus all the clutter and complexity in other systems such as the Apple TV with all of the apps you can't uninstall even if you don't want them.
remember on Apple TV you can hide the apps you don't want...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Patrick Donahue said:
I also like the idea of a digital copy being added to your account at the same time you order a disc...
That to me would be one of the greatest innovations that could be added to the streaming/downloading world.

As an example, I preordered the "Interstellar" Blu-ray which comes out on March 31st. It's already on iTunes and other UB services as a digital purchase. Id love to watch it tonight. But I want the disc, so I'm not spending $20 to buy a digital copy now and then another $20 for the disc in two weeks. Being a Paramount release, it will likely include both iTunes and UV. Why can't there be some arrangement that since I preordered it months ago, I get access to the digital copy now, and then the disc in the mail when it's officially available?

Amazon does that now with a lot of their music items - for many (but not all) of the vinyl albums and CDs they sell, they'll email you an MP3 copy after you order the CD, so you can start enjoying it right away. And I've noticed that for some Blu-ray catalog titles, they've emailed a coupon good for a free streaming rental of the title - clearly they're already thinking about that idea.

If Amazon or any other online merchant or the studios themselves came up with a way to order tonight, get a streaming copy immediately at no extra cost, and then your disc shows up in the mail a couple days later, I think I'd be done with stores. My impulse buys would probably go up too. A $10 or $15 sale for a digital purchase doesn't tempt me at 2am when I can't figure out what to watch - but a digital rental that was backed up by a real disc, that would be really tempting.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Josh Steinberg said:
That to me would be one of the greatest innovations that could be added to the streaming/downloading world.

As an example, I preordered the "Interstellar" Blu-ray which comes out on March 31st. It's already on iTunes and other UB services as a digital purchase. Id love to watch it tonight. But I want the disc, so I'm not spending $20 to buy a digital copy now and then another $20 for the disc in two weeks. Being a Paramount release, it will likely include both iTunes and UV. Why can't there be some arrangement that since I preordered it months ago, I get access to the digital copy now, and then the disc in the mail when it's officially available?

Okay, I'm still not following the logic, if it's a disk that might have the UV included--Why not just be a little patient till it arrives, and then redeem the code?

If the rationale is "But I want it nowwww!", that's the indulgence you pay for.

P

Patrick Donahue

Ejanss said:
Okay, I'm still not following the logic, if it's a disk that might have the UV included--Why not just be a little patient till it arrives, and then redeem the code?
If the rationale is "But I want it nowwww!", that's the indulgence you pay for.
From the consumers point of view - if they can get their digital copy 2-3 weeks early...

From Amazon's point of view - if it caused customers to pre-order from you instead of buying from Target on release day...

Why NOT do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks