What's new

Dodge City (1939) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One of your favorites, Robert Crawford? Blind Purchase?

And, would you recommend just buying a few single titles or the complete Golden Years set?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Wow! I didn't know about the Golden Years set until I saw your post and did a search. For me, it's a no-brainer. Even with the quadruple-dip of GWTW, that set is a must. Every title is a great one. Ninotchka is my favorite Garbo film. Dark Victory is one Davis' best. Hunchback needs no sales pitch from me. Dodge City is Flynn and deHavilland in color. Not their best, but still a very good film with lots of action in 1939 Technicolor. Go for it!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Preordered using link.

This is the first time I've seen an Amazon item with NO discount on 1st day.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Some Warner DVD's had great color but DODGE CITY wasn't one of them. I'm anxious to see what this one is going to look like!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Dodge City is a great western, with Flynn at his most charming. I can just about remember first seeing it as BBC's Saturday night movie in the mid-late fifties (in b/w of course). It has that huge saloon fight, probably the biggest ever, well maybe up to the one in The Great Race. There's something about the gunshot sounds in Warner movies, they sound like no other studios.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
This is a very pleasant surprise. Does anyone know if they fixed the color issues people complained about on the DVD? My recollection is that those required a lot of work.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
One of your favorites, Robert Crawford? Blind Purchase?

And, would you recommend just buying a few single titles or the complete Golden Years set?
I'm buying the box set, but I'm not sure if you'll enjoy Ninotchka or Dark Victory. I'm sure you'll love Dodge City and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Will Krupp said:
Some Warner DVD's had great color but DODGE CITY wasn't one of them. I'm anxious to see what this one is going to look like!

JoeDoakes said:
This is a very pleasant surprise. Does anyone know if they fixed the color issues people complained about on the DVD? My recollection is that those required a lot of work.
The DVD had some pretty substantial registration (misallignment) issues. Given how George Feltenstein always says on the Warner podcasts that nothing gets approved for Blu-ray that doesn't meet the highest standards, I don't think we will have anything to worry about regarding this title. Although I would be curious to know how they are handling their 3-strip Technicolor titles these days. They don't seem to use the brand "ultra-resolution process" much any more.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
All the issues with the DVD is why I'm surprised (& delighted) that Dodge City is getting a Blu-ray release. I would have put money on the easier b/w titles like The Sea Hawk & They Died With Their Boots On being released first. Not that I'm complaining...& a great Max Steiner score too.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Very cool news. Have somehow always managed to not catch any of Dodge City's TV showings.

But knowing that Errol Flynn starred in the film, and that he was a Warner Brothers contract player, upon seeing the announcement

of the Blu-ray on HTF, I immediately said "far out" to myself, because of the superlative job that Warner Bros. so often does with its

catalog titles.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Douglas R said:
I was fortunate to see this once in 35mm at the National Film Theatre and the colour was fabulous.
I was fortunate, as you. I saw Dodge City (last) in 1973, during MoMA's WB retrospective. WB sent a Technicolor nitrate 35mm archive print that was superlative.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Andrew M said:
Was hoping for a full-Flynn Blu-ray Box set...
My dream:

The Ultimate Errol Flynn Collection (Blu-Ray)- 20 film Collection

Featuring:

Captain Blood
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
The Sea Hawk
They Died with Their Boots On
Dodge City
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Gentleman Jim
The Adventures of Don Juan
The Dawn Patrol
Dive Bomber
Desperate Journey
Edge of Darkness
Northern Pursuit
Uncertain Glory
Objective Burma
Santa Fe Trail
They Died With Their Boots On
Virginia City
The Master of Ballantrae

Bonus Features:

The Adventures of Errol Flynn
Trailers for each film

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
atfree said:
Already have my preorder in as I'm a Flynn fanatic....I hope this portends releases of The Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, and others will follow soon.

I'm not a Flynn fanatic, but definitely a fan. Tomorrow at 1:00 PM EST (Thursday 3/12) "They Died With Their Boots On" the 1941 film that stars Errol Flynn as George Armstrong Custer, will be shown on TCM. In addition to Dodge City, it's another Errol Flynn movie that I've never seen. That will be remedied after I watch it off our DVR.

BTW, atfree, as a self professed Flynn fanatic, I'm assuming that you've seen Desperate Journey, a World War II story, wherein, a B17 flying fortress commanded by Flynn's character, is shot down over Germany, and the rest of the film focuses on the efforts of Flynn, and his surviving crew members, trying to make their way to freedom.

atfree, I'd appreciate reading your opinion about Desperate Journey. Haven't seen the film in many years, but around the time I was in junior high school, I liked that movie a lot. What a diverse cast of actors it had. According to Wikipedia, the 2nd lead to Flynn's starring role, was played by Ronald Reagan, with Raymond Massey, Alan Hale Sr, (the father of Alan Hale Jr who co-starred on Gilligan's Island) and Arthur Kennedy, also part of the cast. I certainly found the film to be engrossing, as well as exciting.

So, how high would you think that Desperate Journey ranks in the Flynn canon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks