What's new

When your parents get sick and/or old (1 Viewer)

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
My father is only 59 years old. He isn't an old man, chronologically, but I'm starting to think he has given in to "being old".

A little background: I was born with Cerebral Palsy. I was very lucky that none of my mental functions were or are impaired (though some would say I am crazy...) but I was my father's first and only child.

My mother had a bad fall when I was eight years old, and her injuries were misdiagnosed. She became very ill, and died after a protracted illness when I was eleven.

My father remarried, but my stepmother died suddenly in her sleep a few years ago. That was a day after he went in for a second, corrective spinal surgery, that left him with nerve damage. The condition has a fancy name, something to do with the myelin sheaths of the nerves, but I can never remember properly. He can walk, but often needs a cane, and he may have flashes of severe pain, which he is trying to hide from me. He was let go from his job after several months, because his recovery exceeded the maximum sick leave allowed, but he had already resolved not to go back to work.

Since that time, I have watched my father, who was fun, jovial and relaxed, turn into a very different person. He now lives with me, but I fear I am getting to the breaking point with him. It seems now, that "the little things" in life really irk him, and that, in turn, is starting not only to annoy, but also to really depress me.

Not one day goes by where something trivial does not frustrate him, often accompanied by muttering "Jesus" or "shit" under his breath. For example, he is now always on a laptop, even when I am in the room, preferring to zone out unless we are watching something he is interested in. Dad worked in IT for years, but never learned to type properly, so he is always going "tap...tap...tap" and then going "taptaptaptaptaptap" in frustration when he mis-types something.

I have also noticed that he now panics about the weather. He constantly wants to know the forecast, and acts as if the information is as important as State Secrets. Bad weather is usually accompanied by complaining and/or ominous sounding tidbits like "Oh my God..." If conditions are too icy or snowy, he traps himself in the house, not even attempting to go out.

When he is home, he sits upright in a reclining chair (which has now become his own) and barely moves, except to get food, or go to the bathroom. He often falls asleep in the chair for periods. The only other place in the house he spends any time in is his bedroom. He can still drive, and often does so for appointments or to get drive-thru food, but he is loathe to go out anywhere or do much of anything. My dad and I are both a bit shy and introverted, but now he won't go to a movie, nor will he go out to eat anywhere, and if we ever do, it's only because I suggest it and ask him to take me out.

The worst part though, is that my father, who is very passive-aggressive, has developed a new habit of judging and criticizing my actions. For instance, what prompted me to start this thread is: Today I came home with some Blu-rays from Best Buy. I left the packaging for a couple of movies on a countertop in my house, while I took the discs into my office to look at them with my BD drive. My dad came home, and after a while, I heard him moving into the kitchen to make himself food. On the way, he saw the countertop, and after saying "Jesus" loudly under his breath, I heard the packaging crumpling up, and it was only because I raced over and confronted him that I was able to salvage it. I could tell he figured that I had made a mess (in my own house) and that he needed to clean it up.

I don't know if it just sounds like I'm complaining, and certainly I am, a bit, but I never anticipated dealing with an aging parent so early. It really seems to me like what my dad has gone through has turned him into a potterng, slightly irritating old man, years before his time. I have been through many surgeries for my CP, and my own life is a constant battle to maintain mobility, so I have tried very hard to empathize and help him (along with his doctors and counselors) as best as I can, But lately, I often find I am doing anything to stay away from him as much as possible.

I guess I just miss my dad.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My situation is almost similar, but with the roles reversed.

Your dad sounds like me, while you sound a lot like my dad. (Though I don't live with my father).

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
jcroy said:
My situation is almost similar, but with the roles reversed.

Your dad sounds like me, while you sound a lot like my dad. (Though I don't live with my father).

It's interesting that you say that, because I am definitely getting a taste of the role-reversal that happens with parents and children when the parents get old.

Several months ago, I noticed my father was sleeping a lot, as in most of the day. What was most unsettling was that when he was awake, he would ramble, sometimes incoherently, and seemed to have almost no short-term memory. However, there were stretches of clarity, and he was very adamant that he did not want to go to the hospital, and he also didn't want to tell anyone (including family) what was going on.

On perhaps the third night, I found my dad slumped over on the side of his bed, face down. After he was only semi-responsive, I called an ambulance. Unfortunately, when the paramedics came, he forced himself to become lucid, and answered all of their questions correctly, so the paramedics told me they could not force him into going to the ER.

Several hours later, he became incoherent again, and this time, the paramedics basically forced him to get on the stretcher.

In the hospital, they found out that my dad's creatnine levels were dangerously high, and that was what was causing the problems. I don't know what might have happened had I not intervened and forced him to go to the hospital when I did.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Let me preface this by saying I'm the youngest of the youngest...meaning, my father was the youngest...mother was an only child(her mother was also only).

Both parents.
All 4 grandparents(since 1983).
Two brothers
5 of 6 aunts/uncles(counting spouses)
Bunch of cousins...

Are all gone.

I watched my mother go from self-sufficient to nursing home to gone in 3 years. She suffered several strokes and had "constant TIA"(whatever the actual term is for constant brain bleed). Her only saving grace, of sorts, was tremendously good health insurance(worked in a hospital 35 years).

I've been lucky that only two of my ancestors have "withered away"(Alzheimer's for one, slow and unrelenting cancer for the other).

What bodes well me...mine, whenever it occurs, will be swift. Several just "up and died" when they were still active in their 90s.

Point being, growing old sucks. He's probably scared of the "possibly inevitible" words everyone fears...

There is nothing we can do.

The only thing you can do is offer help/assistance when they ask....for as long as they have the faculties to ask. Provided they don't take it, themselves, that they are a burden(people who think they are a burden are most often more burdensome when they don't seek assistance).

I'm going through that myself with my 85yo uncle who still prefers to live on his own. It would be simpler, for everyone, including himself, if he'd move back to my house.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For the OP, It sounds like both of you are experiencing depression, which is understandable given the life changes going on. You might seek out a counselor specializing in these issues, though I know that is not always met with much enthusiasm by the parent. For you at least, perhaps a support group so you can at least talk to others going through similar things. Posting here helps, but being in the same community can connect you to resources and people who can actually be there physically.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Cameron Yee said:
For the OP, It sounds like both of you are experiencing depression, which is understandable given the life changes going on. You might seek out a counselor specializing in these issues, though I know that is not always met with much enthusiasm by the parent. For you at least, perhaps a support group so you can at least talk to others going through similar things. Posting here helps, but being in the same community can connect you to resources and people who can actually be there physically.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, that's somewhat of the issue. I am depressed for a variety of reasons, and I have been to counselors before (my problem, which I am actively trying to solve, is trying to find one I can connect with right now) but my dad prefers to go only to a psychiatrist for medication, and won't entertain the idea of going to counseling for himself, with or without me in tow.

I just posted here because I was frustrated, and I wanted to see if there was anyone going through a similar situation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My father-in-law has been through similar issues to those of your dad (basically losing interest in life after being crippled by a botched surgery), but he lives in another country (one without big malpractice awards), so his issues are affecting my wife's sisters more than us. But we are going to visit soon, so I am interested to read about how people are dealing with this sort of thing.

Best of luck to you and your dad, at any rate.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I hope your Dad pulls through. My Dad is also 59 and was told by his cardiologist he has a "leaky heart valve." And that came after a serious back injury a few months ago that's been getting better.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I can confirm one thing, your Father shows all the signs of succumbing to old man syndrome, because being one myself I recognize all the signs. 59 is not too young to start behaving this way. It may be a little more exaggerated due to your Father's condition and the pain he has to deal with. You become more cautious as you age and I can relate to the hyper-concern with weather forecasts. Things may be becoming more difficult to do than before, and that could be triggering frustration. You would like to think that all of us could hang onto a more youthful outlook as we age, but some people slip out of that earlier due to circumstance. The famous line "I sound just like my Father!" is never lost on me and I have to shake my head and laugh. I wouldn't worry about his attitude, but maybe sit down with him and discuss his pain issues to try to help him deal with or aleviate them. You may also want to discuss your concerns with his doctor if you haven't already. I know it's tough when you first experience seeing your parent slipping into old age (with all the things that accompany it), but I don't see anything in his attitude that is alarming. It's tough to tell someone that has pain and even minor disabilty issues to try to have a better attitude. I hope things improve for him, and in turn give him a better outlook.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Dr Griffin said:
I can confirm one thing, your Father shows all the signs of succumbing to old man syndrome, because being one myself I recognize all the signs. 59 is not too young to start behaving this way. It may be a little more exaggerated due to your Father's condition and the pain he has to deal with. You become more cautious as you age and I can relate to the hyper-concern with weather forecasts. Things may be becoming more difficult to do than before, and that could be triggering frustration. You would like to think that all of us could hang onto a more youthful outlook as we age, but some people slip out of that earlier due to circumstance. The famous line "I sound just like my Father!" is never lost on me and I have to shake my head and laugh. I wouldn't worry about his attitude, but maybe sit down with him and discuss his pain issues to try to help him deal with or aleviate them. You may also want to discuss your concerns with his doctor if you haven't already. I know it's tough when you first experience seeing your parent slipping into old age (with all the things that accompany it), but I don't see anything in his attitude that is alarming. It's tough to tell someone that has pain and even minor disabilty issues to try to have a better attitude. I hope things improve for him, and in turn give him a better outlook.

Thanks for your post, Dr Griffin, I can at least take solace in the fact that most of this is a natural occurrence and that there isn't so much particularly wrong with my father. :)

And many thanks for the responses so far. This is a new thing for me, and I'm just trying to get all the input I can. I would love to visit my dad's doctors with him, but my disability makes that difficult, and I know he tries to be the strong silent type, so any relevant information is very much appreciated and cathartic.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My parents are both very healthy, but my dad is 87 years so elder care issues have been an unavoidable topic and consideration as the years go by.

One of my favorite musicians, Jonatha Brooke, wrote a play around her caring for her mother, who eventually passed away from Alzheimer's. It's a bittersweet piece of art, but hopefully it lets you know you are not alone in your struggle.

http://4noses.org/about

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks