What's new

50% Off Criterion Flash Sale RIGHT NOW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
march_2015_sale.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here is the problem with this sale...

Most of the titles I priced....

Once you take off 50% and add shipping costs, you can still get it at the same price or slightly cheaper on Amazon.

I am a PRIME member on Amazon so I would pay nothing additional in shipping.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:

Once you take off 50% and add shipping costs, you can still get it at the same price or slightly cheaper on Amazon.

If you order less than $50, maybe depending on your sales tax situation.

Only KY/NY pay tax at Criterion. 75% (and rising) of the country pays sales tax up front on Amazon now

Of course factor in cost of Prime, various Rewards points on Amazon Visa and Criterion (I just earned my first $50GC at Criterion) and the prices

get all muddled

Honestly I could get any of these substantially cheaper at BN during their sales if cost were the only criteria, but I don't want to wait until July.

The nice thing about Criterion and BN is the entire library is on sale at the same time rather than the few decent deals on selected items and

at Amazon and Costco.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Doh. I placed my order and completely forgot to get a night of the hunter plastic case so I can throw away the cardboard giantpak it came in.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:

Just to indulge in a little high-school peer-pressure (oh, and if all your friends jumped off the roof into a pile of thirty-five blind-bought titles, you would too?), I tried taking advantage of the sale and bought one of the three Criterion titles that had been lingering on my Amazon wishlist.

After seeing a $39.95 MSRP, discounted to $31.95 on the website, reduced 50% to $19.95, and paying $5.95 for shipping, I ended up spending $.35 more for A Hard Day's Night than I would have buying it on Amazon today with free Prime shipping.

No wonder I never did anything my friends were doing. :angry:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
Criterion sale is only worth it if you get 3 and thus free shipping.

Not sure if I'd go that far, but it certainly increases the unit cost.

Anyway today

Watership Down
The Sword of Doom
The Palm Beach Story
Don't Look Now
The Soft Skin
Fellini Satyricon
A Day in the Country

This got me to $500 total and the $50 GC so I made a second order -- only took 4 years

Eclipse #41 Kinoshita

I am Curious

$145 for the pile so I'm happy until July though my BN wih pile just shrunk considerably

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
As long as Criterion continues to ship for free at $50, and can continue not charging sales tax to Connecticut, I'll never leave this lovely winter state.

I was very pleasantly surprised to earn my second gift certificate today. I don't track it, and had no idea I'd given them that much direct business over the last few sales.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Does stuff they list as Backorder, not in stock, come back in stock anytime during the sale? The sale doesn't include backorder titles.

The sale is only available for currently instock items so OOS/Backorder/Preorder don't qualify.

With such a short sale once it' s Backorder it's rare to see it available again before the 24 hr sale ends -- though I guess

it's possible.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
While I was searching for addition blurays to take me over $50, Don't Look Now sold out, going into backorder. :(

I guess I'll wait for BN's summer sale.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh, better to wait for BN's sale. $20 movies for about $14 is better.

Did I see Moe up there.

Seems like I haven't seen him around here much lately.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sigh. No sale here. They were out of Don't Look Now, and I'm not going to pay $28 including shipping and tax for Palm Beach Story. To name check another Sturges film, it will have to be Christmas in July at Barnes and Noble.

Moe's right, it's only a good sale if you buy 3 or more titles.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Moe Dickstein said:
As someone who has all but 20 of the complete collection it baffles me that people have trouble finding 3 to get

Maybe I like Preston Sturges but don't like Wes Anderson or Ingmar Bergman?

(Although my shelf is still waiting for The Magic Flute to get an upgrade, and despair that it's probably a TV source.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
gruagach said:
While I was searching for addition blurays to take me over $50, Don't Look Now sold out, going into backorder. :(

I guess I'll wait for BN's summer sale.

I just saw this thread, and the sale is over. At least I know that the one title I really wanted -- Don't Look Now -- probably would have been sold out anyway. I'll just have to wait for the next sale at B&N or Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks