What's new

The Bold Ones: The Senator The Complete Series coming 6/16/15 (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Interesting they start with the one series to be an Emmy winner! :)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I want THE ENTIRE SERIES (Protectors, New Doctors and Lawyers) not just one segment (Senator). It's ALL or NOTHING! :angry:

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I also enjoyed these relevancy shows of the late 1960s and early 1970s!!!! This is one I have been waiting a long time for. Like you, Regulus, I want it all as well--especially since this is a TCS release of this facet of the series. And, hopefully, if sales are strong enough for this segment, maybe we'll get them all over time. For now, if this release date holds up, it will either be a belated birthday buy at the right price...or under the tree for me later this year!!!! :dancing-banana-04: :banana:

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I too hope for the entire 'Bold Ones' show - hopefully 'The Senator' is just the first and the other three segments will get their own DVD sets to follow - tho' as stated it probably depends on how this first set sells....

'The New Doctors' had three seasons (including a 2 part crossover story with 'Ironside') ,

'The Lawyers' had two (plus a pilot TV Movie or two),

while 'The Protectors' ran for the one season as did 'The Senator'

I Hope 'The Name of The Game' ( including the pilot TV Movie) DVD set isn't too far away either...!

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Almost $50 for 9 episodes?? I LOVE shows from this period & even though I've never seen it, this entire series is one I'm interested in. However, that's kind of steep for so few episodes.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Wvtvguy said:
Almost $50 for 9 episodes?? I LOVE shows from this period & even though I've never seen it, this entire series is one I'm interested in. However, that's kind of steep for so few episodes.
It's certainly odd pricing. Based on previous Timeless releases, I'd expect this at $19.95 or $29.95 list. I would also expect restored prints (and better artwork) for this price. And for a company that doesn't shy away from bulk releasing, this is a pretty stingy set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
As much as I am a fan of Universal shows of this era, I am going to pass on this for reasons of price, the fact that there are no guest stars of significance for me and the synopses of the episodes don't give me a good vibe. Congrats to those who are looking forward to it though but I am more puzzled that they wouldn't have started with the more familiar New Doctors which is the segment I think most people associate with the Bold Ones title.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I asked Shout Factory about the pricing, and they confirmed that $49.97 was indeed an error, and they should have the correct price (still unknown) up on their website tomorrow.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Regulus said:
I want THE ENTIRE SERIES (Protectors, New Doctors and Lawyers) not just one segment (Senator). It's ALL or NOTHING! :angry:

The best way to release the series is by segment, not by season like with the Mystery Movies. We can expect the others to come out.

As I said earlier, starting with the one that won an emmy is the best way to start.

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Very excited to finally get the chance to see A CONTINUAL ROAR OF MUSKETRY, inspired by the Kent State shootings. Stephen Bowie of the Classic TV Historyblog and regular contributor to the Onion AV Club names it one of the Top 100 TV episodes of all time.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
My boss John Badham was a producer on this and directed several of the episodes. It's a really great series (I've seen them all) and worth getting.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Obviously we want ALL of 'The Bold Ones' but doing them in segments (IF they do !!) is probably understandable as there were THREE seasons of 'The New Doctors', TWO seasons of 'The Lawyers' and just one each of 'The Protectors' & 'The Senator'

so while putting out the entire series (which would be expensive) might be preferable, at least doing them as segments - assuming they do all - would then let us build up the overall show, (ie one Senator, two Lawyers, one Protectors, & three New Doctors sets) - it would be a bit uneven trying to put it out in full season segment sets as while season one & two would be full 'three sets of Bold Ones' ....but then season three consists of only 'The New Doctors'

I can see from the studios angle that it makes sense that before they 'clean up' say 'The Protectors' segment they are looking to see if 'The Senator' sells well & establish first if there really is enough interest to warrant them then doing all the others...

so buying 'The Senator' hopefully WILL ensure we then get the other segments too (?)

- but angrily refusing to buy it no doubt will ensure we DON'T get the remainder of the show...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The other issue is that the shows were only aired under the same title, but for all intents and purposes were totally separate shows - like how Colombo and McCloud and MacMillan and Wife were all the NBC Mystery Movie, but totally separate production wise.

I'd NEVER expect the Bold Ones series to be released any way but this, grouped by series within the umbrella, not "season one" of all three shows by season.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I can see releasing them either way, but since there was never any crossover (as far as i know), it's tidier to separate them out.

As long as they don't delete the "Bold Ones" intros! "The Senator" will have the shorter Season 2 version.

Related: Here's a nifty promo for season 1:

Mary_P

Second Unit
BTW, nice pre-order price of $19.99 over at Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Bold-Ones-Senator-Complete/dp/B00UCFVHUU

Really happy to read on Shout's website that the pilot movie "A Clear and Present Danger" is included. I haven't seen that in decades -- every time I come across that title in the TV listings, it's always (not surprisingly) the Harrison Ford movie.

I've seen most of the episodes in recent years on Cozi TV, but I'm hoping this presentation will be somewhat better. At least it should be the correct aspect ratio, instead of squeezed like Cozi shows it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
All 4 of the pilot movies will be included in the sets. There wasn't one for The Doctors but The Lawyers had 2 pilots, The Whole World is Watching and The Sound of Anger.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Hopefully BOTH parts of The Bold Ones: New Doctors / Ironside crossover story; 'Five Days in The Death of Sgt Brown' will be included in 'The New Doctors' set ?

Shout replied to me yesterday advising to keep watching their new releases page for the OTHER Bold Ones segments so that sounds promising - provided (I assume) the first release: 'The Senator' sells well (?)

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Neil Brock said:
All 4 of the pilot movies will be included in the sets. There wasn't one for The Doctors but The Lawyers had 2 pilots, The Whole World is Watching and The Sound of Anger.
Excited to finally get to see THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING - written by two of TV's greatest writers, Richard Levinson and William Link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks