What's new

NFL off season 2015 (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Lots changes have already happened and more are coming this week, we need an off-season thread.

Free agent signings start this week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Raiders overpaid for that center, but I liked the move. Now, we need to get some more line help, both offensively and defensively that way we draft a wide receiver with the 4th pick in the draft.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for starting the thread, Patrick.

The Lions really botched Suh's situation. By converting salary to bonuses a couple of times during his contract, Suh would have cost the team $26M to put the franchise tag on him. Had they not messed with the contract, they could have tagged him for about $15M. When he signs elsewhere tomorrow, the team will still be carrying over $9M of dead money from his contract on this year's salary cap. Overall, the team has over $17 in dead money on this year's cap -- the most in the league (only a couple of other teams have more than $10M).

Even with all the signs that Suh would be leaving via free agency, the team did nothing to address the defensive tackle position last offseason -- every one of their DT's had an expiring contract, as they failed to pick up the option on Nick Fairley's contract. They also passed on a very good DT in the 1st round of the draft to take a tight end (Ebron) who was worth nothing more than a 3rd round pick.

Nothing has changed in Detroit. It's still the same front office from the Matt Millen era -- just without Millen. Everyone else was just promoted a level when he left. Every year, usually at least 40% of the teams that made the post season the previous year fail to make it the next. My bold prediction is that the Lions will be one of those teams that fails to make a repeat appearance.

BTW, if Detroit fails to resign Nick Fairley, they will have no players left on their roster from either to 2010 or 2011 draft classes. Those are the classes where most teams would be expecting their "core" talent to be from at this point.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
$60 million guaranteed for Suh. . .wow!

I am very pleased with the McCourty re-signing. On to Revis Island (hopefully)!!!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The hits just keep coming for the Niners, Bruce Miller one of their Fullbacks was arrested on spousal battery charges.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It looks like Jacksonville is going to sign tight end Julius Thomas. He goes from a contender in Denver with Peyton Manning throwing him the ball to Blake Bortles and the Jags. Talk about a step down!

Speaking of Denver, with Thomas leaving and both Manning and Welker slowing down, has their window for winning a Super Bowl closed? I think so.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
C.J. Spiller is rumored to be heading to Detroit. He should be a perfect replacement for Reggie Bush and Jahvid Best -- all three are multi-purpose backs who spend more time on the injury list than on the field. :lol:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I will say this: If the Patriots re-sign Revis and don't win the Super Bowl, people will be a little disappointed. But if they DON'T sign Revis and don't win the Super Bowl, there will be heck to pay. HECK, I tells ya!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Lions have traded 4th and 5th round picks for nose tackle Haloti Ngata. So, they are replacing Suh with a 31-year old player who has never played their 4-3 scheme, and will be paying him over $8M to do so. Brilliant! The only thing that would be more stupid would be to now change to a 3-4 scheme, since the rest of their personnel doesn't fit that scheme.

So, expect that to happen next. :lol:

The Rams and Eagles swap their unwanted QB's for each other. Supposedly, the Rams also will get a draft pick or picks out of the deal. That's a win for the Rams.

Seattle made a shocker of a deal, getting Jimmy Graham from New Orleans for several draft picks (including a 1st rounder) and center Max Unger. The Seahawks get a good player, but is it such a good idea to pay so much for a pass catching tight end on a running team?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dheiner said:
Scott,

You forgot "injury-prone" and "underpaid" when describing Jimmy.

Well, I believe he's the highest paid tight end in the league (unless Julius Thomas surpassed him), so I'm not sure "underpaid" is accurate. I'll give you "injury-prone", though.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Scott Merryfield said:
Well, I believe he's the highest paid tight end in the league (unless Julius Thomas surpassed him), so I'm not sure "underpaid" is accurate. I'll give you "injury-prone", though.
I meant that he thinks that he is underpaid, and will be a disruptive force in their locker room.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dheiner said:
I meant that he thinks that he is underpaid, and will be a disruptive force in their locker room.

Gotcha.

Revis back to the Jets. So Revis, Suh and Thomas all go for the money instead of winning situations. Meanwhile, Randall Cobb does the opposite and takes less money to stay in a great situation in Green Bay.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Scott Merryfield said:
Gotcha.

Revis back to the Jets. So Revis, Suh and Thomas all go for the money instead of winning situations. Meanwhile, Randall Cobb does the opposite and takes less money to stay in a great situation in Green Bay.
Bulaga left money on the table, elsewhere, too.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I can understand Revis -- he's got his ring (even if I don't like it!), now it's time to get paid.

Someone (on Mike & Mike, maybe?) made the comment that great QBs are judged on the number of rings they've won, but other positions are not. So once you've got one, getting more isn't such a big deal. Or that's the theory, anyway.

Another interesting theory: the Patriots knew ahead of time that Revis was getting an offer they wouldn't come close to, and let Browner go because without Revis, they'll be changing their defensive scheme in ways that Browner wouldn't fit.

On a related note, I wouldn't mind seeing the Patriots get a pick or two from the Jets for the Revis situation. The tampering wasn't a huge deal IMO (although it resulted in one!), but it was pretty blatant.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Revis has always been about the money and does not give teams discounts on his services...ever. It was obvious the Jets were willing to spend the most money on him and so the best option for the Patriots would have been to have kept him for one more season using their option. Looking at the grand scheme of things using the $20 million option to keep him for one more year and another Super Bowl run while Brady is still the QB would have made sense. The Jets did get caught tampering and should get whacked for that as they did land the player they were tampering with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks