What's new

1776- New Footage to be Presented at the Turner Classic Film Festival (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
ANOTHER cut? MORE unseen footage?

This would make FOUR (at least) cuts of the movie, and still no blu-ray of any of them.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ethan Riley said:

This would make FOUR (at least) cuts of the movie, and still no blu-ray of any of them.

"previously unseen" might just mean that there will be footage from the expanded version that wasn't in the theatrical release. I still hope that multiple versions will be included on any blu release. Oh, and I always choke whenever I read "TCL" Chinese Theater.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Ethan Riley said:

The home video divisions of the studios seem to be working in tandem with the repertory divisions as they convert their libraries to 2K or 4K DCP for theatrical exhibition . ( Quite logically, given the expense that is required to clean most of them up for digitization.) A huge percentage of the past year's catalogue release from the major studios (and their licensees) were available on blu in the same time frame that the DCPs were made available for theatrical .

I predict an announcement of a 1776 blu within the next two months, once TCM's world premiere has passed.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Rob W said:
The home video divisions of the studios seem to be working in tandem with the repertory divisions as they convert their libraries to 2K or 4K DCP for theatrical exhibition . ( Quite logically, given the expense that is required to clean most of them up for digitization.) A huge percentage of the past year's catalogue release from the major studios (and their licensees) were available on blu in the same time frame that the DCPs were made available for theatrical .

I predict an announcement of a 1776 blu within the next two months, once TCM's world premiere has passed.
I'm hoping for no later than a June 30th release, as this would be the last window of opportunity for Sony to release the BD before July 4th weekend...I'm betting it will be either a direct retail release or via Criterion or Twilight Time Entertainment...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Do they mention a running time anywhere? I'm guessing they put back some, but not all, of the laserdisc-only footage.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
If Sony had merely wanted to have 1776 available on DCP for theatrical and repertory bookings they would have simply made a transfer of the official theatrical release. But, somebody saw some value in assembling a director's cut and the funds were allocated to do it in full 4K theatrical quality and not just in consumer video resolution. That budget has to be monetized somehow, and a video release is by far the easiest and most logical way to go.

All signs point to an imminent video release.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Rob W said:
If Sony had merely wanted to have 1776 available on DCP for theatrical and repertory bookings they would have simply made a transfer of the official theatrical release. But, somebody saw some value in assembling a director's cut and the funds were allocated to do it in full 4K theatrical quality and not just in consumer video resolution. That budget has to be monetized somehow, and a video release is by far the easiest and most logical way to go.

If that's all they wanted, they would probably have simply transferred the previous "director's cut" (the DVD version of the movie) since that was created photo-chemically and they made very nice 35mm prints of it for repertory bookings

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Rob W said:

I look at it the other way: The theatrical showings were to pay the bills for the video restoration. :D

Either way, one can't foot the costs alone.

(And I should add, they'd NEVER do this if they just wanted to keep the digital-download print fresh.)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
MatthewA said:
Do they mention a running time anywhere? I'm guessing they put back some, but not all, of the laserdisc-only footage.

Now listed on the TCM website at 142 min.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Rob W said:
Now listed on the TCM website at 142 min.
That is the original Theatrical run-time.

I doubt that is the version being discussed in the article or that will appear at the Festival.

(LD version is 180, DVD 'Director's Cut' is 166).

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Ok, here's the deal.

The version screening at the TCM fest is the most breathtaking this film has ever looked. Grover Crisp has out done himself and watching the color and clarity of this version was like seeing it again for the first time.

The new material invovles one piece that was on the LD that was found since the 2002 work was done. This was only left out on the DVD because they couldn't find proper quality footage of it at the time. There are a couple places where audio fixes were caught and there is one new piece that has never been seen since 1972.

I read here Twilight Time has confirmed they are not releasing a Blu. Criterion also does not have this one.

I think that's about all I can say, follow the news at the TCM screening. If you're able to go, I'll be there, look for me, and I look forward to chatting with anyone then, maybe there will be more to say then.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
David Weicker said:
That is the original Theatrical run-time.
I doubt that is the version being discussed in the article or that will appear at the Festival.

(LD version is 180, DVD 'Director's Cut' is 166).
The 180 minute figure is misleading, most of that difference is the overture etc. the Actual content difference between DVD and LD is around 3 minutes.

The TCM cut will be very slightly longer than the DVD

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for that update! Not TT, not Criterion, but there are other labels who have released Sony-owned titles on Blu. I expect one of the two I'm thinking of will have an announcement soon after the TCM festival.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks