What's new

Dedicated Home theatre advise (1 Viewer)

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
Hello,

I am planning my first dedicated home theatre in our house that will be constructed.

I have visited quite a few architect for the home designing but require advise from experts regarding the theatre.

The architecture firm, in its preliminary layout, has constituted a room with the following dimension:

31.5 ft by 39 ft with height varying from 10 ft at the entrance to around 15 ft near the screen.

There will be 3 row of seating (recliners) with 4 seats per row.

There will also be an equipment area at the back near the entrance.

The above is what the architect has formulated and now what I want is below:

I need some experts to give their advise about the layout of the theatre and also suggest a screen size (in 16:9) along with a projector.

Do you think that the dimensions of the rooms will produce any acoustic problems?

P.s. I would like a screen to be around 150 inch (or whatever is possible). The reason I am selecting the 16:9 ratio is because I will also hooking up my Xbox, PS3/4 along with my HDTV broadcast.

I would be meeting with architect again soon so will need to discuss whatever the experts here advise me.

If I continue with this firm they will provide detailed layout of the theatre (according to my budget)

Attachments

• Theatre1.jpg
    Theatre1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 54

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That seating is too close to the screen, unless you are planning a "for the kids" front row...

As for projector...

40' throw and 150"...

Nowhere near a cheap one.

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:
That seating is too close to the screen, unless you are planning a "for the kids" front row...

As for projector...

40' throw and 150"...

Nowhere near a cheap one.

Thank you for your reply.

This is just a preliminary mock up, I think the real seating would be around 16 ft from the screen.

The projector can be install closer around the 2nd row.

Can you make other suggestions?

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AT screen. Spend money here. Other than your speakers, the longest tenured thing in the room. Your screen and speakers, if done right, won't need touched for 30 years.

Until you have budget, or a "this is what I want, blank check"...

Planning for Atmos/X/Auro?

What sources?

Want 1 button push convenience for everything? Or happy with a macro remote?(meaning are the lights going to be controlled, or just doing a dimmer on the wall?)

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:
AT screen. Spend money here. Other than your speakers, the longest tenured thing in the room. Your screen and speakers, if done right, won't need touched for 30 years.

Until you have budget, or a "this is what I want, blank check"...

Thank you again for a quick reply.

Yes I am planning an AT screen. What PJ would light up the 150 inch 16:9 AR screen? (Throw isn't a issue)

Excluding the contruction cost, I have about $ 35,000 in mind for the screen, audio, video and seats. Do you think this will be adequate for a moderate setup?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As for projector...care about 3D?

If no...Runco and Sim2 have projectors that will amaze.

I'm assuming the projector budget is $3000-$6000.

Sony 55 sits at $4000...and to me is the "avg you should shoot for".

Are there better images? Yep.

Is there better 3D? Probably not. (in this price range. The 1700 lumen is at the bottom of 3D need, but if this is "bat cave"...)

You can play slightly more...or slightly less...but to me that is a comfortable starting point.

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:
As for projector...care about 3D?

If no...Runco and Sim2 have projectors that will amaze.

Yes, I want 3D.

Wouldn't getting a Runco or Sim 2 exceed my budget?

Also the problem is that neither are available directly in my area so would have to import them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, where are you?

The US? (there is no info provided...so we assume)

Runco and Sim2 start under $5000....without 3D. Their 3D are 5 digits.

3D is best served up by LCoS(Sony) and DLP. However LCD tend to be the better "light cannons".

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
I'm in Asia.

I was considering Epson 5030UB (~$4200 with No warranty) , Sony HW55ES (~$3600 but with 1 year warranty), JVC DLA-X55 (~$5500 in my region but No warranty).

Yes, the room has NO windows, the environment and décor settings will be controlled to maximize the the screen brightness.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Rather than going to an architect for this have you considered using a Custom Home Theater installation firm if there are any near you? They might be a better choice and maximize your budget to get what you want.

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
David_Jr said:
Rather than going to an architect for this have you considered using a Custom Home Theater installation firm if there are any near you? They might be a better choice and maximize your budget to get what you want.

Although I won't mind using a Custom Home Theater firm but there aren't any in my region.

The architecture firm, I'm currently consulting, has designed a Shopping Complex that features a 4 Screen Multiplex and a prestigious performance art institute auditorium amongst other projects. I will design my complete house from them for which they would charge around $ 50,000+.

I was thinking about importing a Maestro(AT) screen from screen innovations (150 inch 16:9) or AcousticPro1080P3 from Elitescreens.

As for projector I was thinking Epson 5030UB or Sony HW55ES (1 year local warranty) or importing the JVC X700R through ebay.

The only companies whose projector I can get in warranty locally would be Optoma and Sony.

The only Optoma that will work using my parameters are EH501, EH503, HD25-LV & HD50 (all available with 1 year local warranty and replacement lamps).

ProjectorCentral calculations tell that JVC X700R would be able to light up the 150 Inch screen for 1.0 gain at 15 L/ft (ScreenInnovations) and 17 L/ft for 1.1 gain (Elitescreens).

Any suggestions?

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
Your designers threw away the best seats in the house: there's no center seats!!! To me that's a big failure.

Although this is just a mock up design but I will have to agree with you on this as I am much of a center seat person.

I was thinking about making the walk down path to both the sides.

Can you suggest / advise on the matter below? :

I was thinking about importing a Maestro(AT) screen from screen innovations (150 inch 16:9) or AcousticPro1080P3 from Elitescreens.
As for projector I was thinking Epson 5030UB or Sony HW55ES (1 year local warranty) or importing the JVC X700R through ebay.

The only companies whose projector I can get in warranty locally would be Optoma and Sony.
The only Optoma that will work using my parameters are EH501, EH503, HD25-LV & HD50 (all available with 1 year local warranty and replacement lamps).

ProjectorCentral calculations tell that JVC X700R would be able to light up the 150 Inch screen for 1.0 gain at 15 L/ft (ScreenInnovations) and 17 L/ft for 1.1 gain (Elitescreens).

Any suggestions?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For seating, some possibilities:

Center seating with 4 across; 2 on one side and one on the other. It will be assymetric, but will allow side access. If you removed the tables(?) between the chairs, it might let you have five across with center seating and side access.

I'm not knowledgeable about the projectors and gear currently. It's also hard to recommend without know your budget or your options for upgrading in the next 2-5 years.

The Epson 5030UB is a popular, recommended 1080p projector. But as Sam suggested earlier, you need to check that it will give the size image at the distance you want.

Now, I know money can be a touchy subject, but bear with me:

You might consider one of the interim 4k projectors. They aren't cheap, and they're going to be obsolete in a year or two. But if you're doing a big theater with up-close seats, it could make sense for you.

Taking it further, you can build a very widescreen, with motorized curtains, and a motorized anamorphic lens, to switch between TV/Xbox and Movies for optimal experience in all cases.

Again, recommendations are driven by budget and key desires. If your budget is

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
not a chance you are going to get 15 fL on a AT screen at 150".

If you are considering an elite screen, you might as well put up a bed sheet.

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
For seating, some possibilities:

Center seating with 4 across; 2 on one side and one on the other. It will be assymetric, but will allow side access. If you removed the tables(?) between the chairs, it might let you have five across with center seating and side access.

I'm not knowledgeable about the projectors and gear currently. It's also hard to recommend without know your budget or your options for upgrading in the next 2-5 years.

The Epson 5030UB is a popular, recommended 1080p projector. But as Sam suggested earlier, you need to check that it will give the size image at the distance you want.

Now, I know money can be a touchy subject, but bear with me:

You might consider one of the interim 4k projectors. They aren't cheap, and they're going to be obsolete in a year or two. But if you're doing a big theater with up-close seats, it could make sense for you.

Taking it further, you can build a very widescreen, with motorized curtains, and a motorized anamorphic lens, to switch between TV/Xbox and Movies for optimal experience in all cases.

Again, recommendations are driven by budget and key desires. If your budget is

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gregg Loewen said:
not a chance you are going to get 15 fL on a AT screen at 150".

If you are considering an elite screen, you might as well put up a bed sheet.
Is the Elite AcoustcPro really that bad?

I've not dealt with much less expensive than Carada.

Granted we are spoiled (some would say snobby) having a ClearPix.

To the OP. I would up your screen budget.

If you must import, Screen Research, Carada and Seymour.

Gregg. Have you seen the Stewart Tela yet?

And you don't think the Seymour Enlightor Bright would make 15fl at 150"?

Spec'd a 140 twin projector set up with it. I forget which 3D was chosen, but it was large venue. For 2d a Sim was used.

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:
Is the Elite AcoustcPro really that bad?

I've not dealt with much less expensive than Carada.

Granted we are spoiled (some would say snobby) having a ClearPix.

To the OP. I would up your screen budget.

If you must import, Screen Research, Carada and Seymour.

Gregg. Have you seen the Stewart Tela yet?

And you don't think the Seymour Enlightor Bright would make 15fl at 150"?

Spec'd a 140 twin projector set up with it. I forget which 3D was chosen, but it was large venue. For 2d a Sim was used.

Does Carada has AT screens, because on its website there are only 3 materials for screen: Classic Cinema White, Brilliant White & High Contrast Grey.

How much will an (16:9) 150" Enlighter Bright from seymour cost (I just need a rough estimate)?

How about Screen Innovation's Maestro? ... Its AT with 1.0 gain.

Will it light up the 150" at 15 fL?

TheRainMaker

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:
I don't know why I said Carada. Ron just got one...Carada on the brain.

Meant Falcon.

Ah... No worries and thanks for your help. :)

According to falcon's website, they have Falcon vision HD (1.1 gain but priced at $1550.00 for 149.2") and Falcon Vision Horizon (1.0 Gain priced at $1750.00 for 149.2")

Which one be good?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks