What's new

The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

6146_tn.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I might consider $150. However, I would rather wait till Black Friday and get it for $100 or less

This is one of the most essential shows that everyone needs to own.

If it's worth paying full price now, I can't blame you for doing it. However, you can bet that if you

wait it out you can have it for a song.

I waited on the entire series of THE SOPRANOS and got it for $100. Same will happen here.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
there was talk awhile back about this series on blu-ray.

has it been determined whether there has been any loss of picture, due to aspect ratio changes ?

KayDot

Auditioning
Real Name
Leo
WOW, this is pretty expensive.

Ive heard so much good things about this show, people putting it on a pedestal (calling it quite possibly the best show ever).

I dont actually own any physical copies of any movie/show tbh and i saw that iTunes recently had the collection for $50 in HD, im kinda regretting not buying it and now the price has gone back up now $74.99 :(

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, I haven't seen The Wire (I've missed all the HBO, Showtime, etc. shows). Being on Blu, I'm up for finally watching it. But I've got a tremendous backlog on what I can watch at home, that I think I'll wait until late this year for sale prices.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WOW! DOWN TO $109.99!

You may need to click on widget to see actual discount

At the perfect price point. I ordered it!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know about this as I wonder if this series will have re-visit viewing value for me. Is it so depressing about today's inner city society that it prevents you from wanting to view this again and again?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
I don't know about this as I wonder if this series will have re-visit viewing value for me. Is it so depressing about today's inner city society that it prevents you from wanting to view this again and again?

I plan to rematch it someday.

I just think it's one of (if not THE) best television series ever made -- and many people on this forum will back me up on it.

If you have never seen it, Robert, the investment of $109 for the 5 seasons will make it seem like a worthy purchase by the end of it all.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
We will never agree on the best TV series of all time, but I know many people who agree that THE WIRE belongs in the conversation about the best. I know more than one person who believes it is the best show of all time. And I'm not going to argue with them. It's definitely up there. Repeated viewings of it only deepen my appreciation of the show. And a writer can learn a lot about good writing from the show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
It's not a fun show but the points that the show raises and the high quality on a production level makes it worth the 'depression'. Plus, the show is fairly complex (not like Game Of Thrones where it's so complex that it becomes annoying) so multiple viewings clarify plot points & motivations that you might not have caught the first time around. And you can gain an appreciation for how the show built a city and all of its characters.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Wire dropped down to $99.99 today, the day after it shipped from Amazon.

Of course, I was charged the higher price. I expect to be credited, but just in case, I wrote Amazon an email with my order number to let them know about the price drop.

Amazon is always good about these things.

I just wanted all of you who ordered this set to be aware of this final drop in price, which I think, is phenomenal.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Curious to hear your thoughts on this when it arrives. If it had the original framing included (kind of like how the Star Trek sets had the original and remastered effects versions) I would of snapped it up in a heartbeat. I understand that David Simon went through it all to make sure the new widescreen framing respected the original intent, I'm just being fussy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Russell,

You might have to wait for the reviews.

I don't think I will be rewatching THE WIRE for some time to come. I wanted it in my collection, to have, when I was ready to rewatch.

Of course, if the Internet reviews are not helpful to you, I would be more than happy to look at the set and let you know what I think. Just let me know.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Curious to hear your thoughts on this when it arrives. If it had the original framing included (kind of like how the Star Trek sets had the original and remastered effects versions) I would of snapped it up in a heartbeat. I understand that David Simon went through it all to make sure the new widescreen framing respected the original intent, I'm just being fussy.
I've seen the first two episodes on Blu-ray (and many bits and pieces of multiple episodes during a marathon on HBO a few months ago) and it's exactly what I expected- there's basically just empty space on the sides of the frame but it isn't particularly distracting. In a perfect world, they would have left the show at the intended 4x3 AR but no one's head is being cut off by the new framing or anything like that.

I'm very familiar with the series and the upgrade to HD really makes the show look great.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For those watching too closely, HBO did drop a few features from the DVDs. Like most HBO Blu-ray releases, they drop all the Previously Ons and Next Ons. From the S3 DVD, they dropped the hour-long Q&A with the cast & crew and the 30 minute David Simon college talk. From the series set, they drop the gag reel.

In terms of differences between the SD and HD sets, they change the S1 credits from a credit roll to title cards (so the S1 credits now conform with the rest of the seasons). Also, episode 404 has a shot (around 41:00 minutes with Colvin looking at kids as he walks down a hallway) that looks time compressed on DVD and the 'sped up' look of that shot is fortunately corrected & gone on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks