What's new

Warner CEO wants to combine UV and DMA (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Patrick Donahue
  • Start date
P

Patrick Donahue

One thing I think would be an interesting development is if that did happen, what would iTunes do?

And one nugget from it I wanted to make sure didn't get lost... "Tsujihara contends digital sales don’t have to surpass physical. Even at a 50/50 split, digital’s higher margins would more than offset physical while impacting the bottom line."

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Well I think the Warner Exec needs to focus on completing the promises that UV was supposed to bring the purchaser of the format, while this is a good step in the right direction, I ask... Where is the Common FIle Format? I am growing impatient on this. We were promised this by the DECE several years ago...where is it? Many people like myself who collect films and Tv want a digital file and CFF fulfills that promise. I decided at the beginning of this year that, as a collector and purchaser of films for the past decade and one who buys several new films or tv shows each week I am not buying another UV or other Digital Sell Thru (EST) item until that part of the UV spec is released. IF they want to succeed they better get with it...and fast.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
One thing I think would be an interesting development is if that did happen, what would iTunes do?

And one nugget from it I wanted to make sure didn't get lost... "Tsujihara contends digital sales don’t have to surpass physical. Even at a 50/50 split, digital’s higher margins would more than offset physical while impacting the bottom line."
I saw this quote as well. The electronic files have a great set of margins for sure. But again, where is the CFF?

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
I decided at the beginning of this year that, as a collector and purchaser of films for the past decade and one who buys several new films or tv shows each week I am not buying another UV or other Digital Sell Thru (EST) item until that part of the UV spec is released. IF they want to succeed they better get with it...and fast.
I will admit that at about the same time I decided I would only aquire new UV titles by buying the blu-ray, 3 week early digital releases be damned.

I know you have been a proponent of CFF for awhile now, but I still struggle to see it's importance to me. Is what you are looking for the ability to watch movies off a home server?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Warner and Disney living together?...Mass hysteria! :lol:

Think iTunes and DMA would still keep each other's catalogues, because of the deep Jobs-rooted Disney-Apple connection, they just wouldn't have UV/Vudu's catalogs, and vice versa.

Hate to say iTunes is being left out of the digital market, seeing as it was all Jobs' idea in the beginning (yes--and all the other studios didn't think it would work), but it's both a good sign for the consumer and a bad cold-water sign for the industry that the market isn't really supporting a lot of competing companies and formats to battle for dominance--

The customer just wants one big basket for all their streaming-stuff, which means they aren't really taking it with the seriousness or distinction that the companies hope they are. The mainstream aren't home-theater tech connosseuirs, they just want their format in a form they can understand, and if they like it, then it stays around.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
They're still isolated except for DMA, and while they're more popular than UV for being better quality and more iPhone/Pad friendly (which is where all the business is to begin with, not the living room AppleTV's), it's going to be one or the other; there's no third contender at this point, now that DMA wants to play along with everyone.

I could live with either, although in terms of tech quality, I'd prefer "You got your UV in my iTunes" over "Hey, you got your iTunes in my UV!"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's fascinating to hear viewpoints on what success looks like from people who have irrational hatred of specific brands, not because of what those brands actually deliver to market but because of their perceived evilness..

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
I will admit that at about the same time I decided I would only aquire new UV titles by buying the blu-ray, 3 week early digital releases be damned.
I know you have been a proponent of CFF for awhile now, but I still struggle to see it's importance to me. Is what you are looking for the ability to watch movies off a home server?
Yes this feature of download was promised as a feature before I bought in to UV it still says and includes the ease of download in the site advertising and other adverts. They keep telling us next year, then next year and so on. Its not dead and still part of the specs. When is this coming out? Now we have sscallc.com

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
The article itself says iTunes accounts for 60% of Warners digital sales, and there are 800 million iTunes accounts to 21 million UV accounts. You call that being left out!?
800 million itunes accounts are not video specific that includes music and books as well. UV is filmed media specific.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I think they found out that most people don't care about CFF, and its probably true.
"Most people" do not purchase movies, but those who do make this a multi billion dollar a year business. With a B. Thats a big industry and an important one for the studios. Those who do purchase, for many they want a physical or digital copy in their possession. Itunes does this why cant UV get it right?

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Towergrove said:
"Most people" do not purchase movies, but those who do make this a multi billion dollar a year business. With a B. Thats a big industry and an important one for the studios. Those who do purchase, for many they want a physical or digital copy in their possession. Itunes does this why cant UV get it right?

I think itunes is an old model. Today you see even itunes moving to the cloud. Netflix has taught us that we don't need to download everything. When I say "most people" I meant most people who are buying digital movies. IMO

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
800 million itunes accounts are not video specific that includes music and books as well. UV is filmed media specific.
Oh, I know, I'm just saying that iTunes has 800mil possible customers to sell that week's new movies to while UV has 21mil - just to show that iTunes had not been "left out" as had been suggested.

P

Patrick Donahue

I think itunes is an old model. Today you see even itunes moving to the cloud. Netflix has taught us that we don't need to download everything. When I say "most people" I meant most people who are buying digital movies. IMO
I have to agree. I have no doubt some want to download - and I absolutely hope you can do it the way you want. Myself, streaming is more than fine. I own an iPad and an iPhone, no computer. If downloading a CFF file was an option I wouldn't have anywhere to put the files. There's also the problem how I could conceivably download 850 HDX files without my ISP wanting to burn my house down. I suspect many are like me with their home computing set-ups in 2015. Again, not to say that is how everyone is.

As for downloading today, what about a game console with a large HD? Vudu will let you download to that...

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Patrick Donahue said:
I have to agree. I have no doubt some want to download - and I absolutely hope you can do it the way you want. Myself, streaming is more than fine. I own an iPad and an iPhone, no computer. If downloading a CFF file was an option I wouldn't have anywhere to put the files. There's also the problem how I could conceivably download 850 HDX files without my ISP wanting to burn my house down. I suspect many are like me with their home computing set-ups in 2015. Again, not to say that is how everyone is.

As for downloading today, what about a game console with a large HD? Vudu will let you download to that...

That's what I do. I have a few downloaded to the PS3, and a few on my phone and tablet when travelling in case I don't have internet access but, I have no desire to download 1100 plus movies, no need to, streaming works fine 99.9% of the time.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
As for downloading today, what about a game console with a large HD? Vudu will let you download to that...[/quot

Patrick many people who purchase films want a copy in their possession. Streaming films can be easily removed from you collections on things like vudu. Amazon states in their terms queations that if you download a movie its yours even if they purge it in the future from the streaming library. In fact in the q and a's they highly recommend that you download your purchases for that reason.

The problem i have is that UV has sold us on a system where we will have a CFF that can be used. Softwares like powerdvd are ready with cff support built in. I ask where is this feature? Its 4 years later, where is it? Again im a big purchaser of films, I have no problem with digital sell theu unlike many who buy physical media BUT i want the CFF as promised and sold to the consumer.
One post on here indicated that CFF is dead which I can say is not correct. It was discussed at a conference I attended last month (recode) but the folks I had a discussion wiyh couldnt give me an exact release timeframe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks