What's new

Build me a home theater room for $3500 please. (1 Viewer)

jfarnsworth1020

Auditioning
Real Name
jesse
I have never had a home theater room before. I have a room above my garage that i am transforming into a home theater for the kids. The room is in a half octagon shape. 12 x 24 with a 9 foot ceiling. I have a budget of 3500 to spend on this ( projector, av, speakers, screen, etc.) would like yalls expert opinions on what i should purchase. Thank you Jesse

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I like DLP projectors and have an Optoma. For AVR, Yamaha, Denon or Marantz. For speakers, I went with Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's with the Horizon center and a pair of Rhymik subwoofers. SVS is also worth a look, and you'll probably get lots of opinions on this, because speakers are very personal. My screen is a DALITE screen on it's own stand, so I can easily keep the front speakers a reasonable distance from the back wall. I plan to add room treatments, and will probably go with GIK acoustics. You'll hear a lot more talk about Audyssey and room correction software, but treatments can make a far more significant difference. Best of luck!

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
You need to provide a LOT more info. With your budget, I'd probably go with a DIY screen. You can always replace it down the road if you want.

Which projector technology?
Will it be mounted on ceiling or on a rear shelf?
Screen size(based on seating distance)?
Screen type(Pull-down, fixed, DIY)?
5.1 or 7.1 system?
Speaker type(Towers, bookshelf)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
At your budget you need to pick a screen size, then figure out where to put the projector.

If back wall, you will likely have exactly 1 projector that works. If ceiling mounted, where?

Under $1000 projectors have exact placement parameters. So, you aren't going to have "choices".

jfarnsworth1020

Auditioning
Real Name
jesse
Ok guys i got some more info. i want a 7.1 system and i need like a 100" screen. im thinking i want some of the tower speakers that sit on the floor. im hearing good things about the epson projectors so i may want to go with one of those mounted on the ceiling. i dont care to watch movies in 3d. the screen will be covering up a window. the screen will sit on a wall that is 138" long and then the room goes back around 23 feet from there. rectangle shape. i live in the dfw area and theres companys that run ads on craigslist that offer home theater packages from 3000 to 6000. when i look up the products there gonna use in one of those packages they dont come to half the cost there asking for. hope this helps, thanks for looking

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I recently bought an Epson Powerlite 8345. The specs were better than the $3k price I spent on my old Panasonic. My wife was amazed at the quality the first time she walked into the room. It has a great zoom and lens shift which makes placement less critical. I use a generic Premier Mount.

My screen is a DIY model measuring 103" diagonal. I think the cost of the parts is right around $100. It took a weekend to build and most of that was watching paint dry and stapling the fabric on the frame I built.

I also use DIY speakers and DIY subs.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
If it's for your kids I'd suggest that a projector may not be the best solution. You can get a very good 65" 1080p LED-LCD for about $1200 or a 65" 4K LCD for around $2,000. You might even be able to fit a 70" in your budget.

For a receiver,http://www.accessories4less.com has a large selection of Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc. both refurbs and previous model years, for really fair prices. You could get a very good HT receiver with all the features you need, including networking and Bluetooth, for $500 or less.

For speakers, A4L has a Boston Acoustics 5 speaker package for $250 new, with free shipping. Toss in a a subwoofer and you could have a complete 5.1 HT system for about $3000 that would make any kids happy. You'll even have enough left to buy a new game console and some games to go with it.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I agree with Dan. I didn't see that it was for the kids. I would buy the largest flat panel that fits into the budget. Having a projector turned on and off throughout the day is very hard on the bulb, shortening it's life. Plus all the hours adding up on the bulb from video games, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks