What's new

Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer & Speaker Questions, Answers & Owners Thread (2 Viewers)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
For all those who own PSA products, or are thinking about purchasing one, this will be the centralized thread for all information.

Upcoming Reviews: PSA T-18

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

Please feel free to ask ANY questions or add any comments regarding Power Sound Audio products, upcoming plans, etc. Also, just basic stuff like sub placement, calibration questions, bass management regardless of product brand.

I'll try to stop by daily with updates.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
I went to the magnolia store and was able to get the floor model of the bowers and Wilkins ASW610 model for $500 as this was a discontinued.

I listed to it and it sounded better and louder than some other subs that supposedly had more watts.

Any thought on this sub or if there is a better sub at the $500 price.

I would need a sub that is 10" maximum or would need a in wall. I would be wiling to spend a little more for in wall if I could get the same quality.

I will be using mostly for movies and have a polk audio 5.1 system (not sure if this makes a difference).

Thanks,
Carlos

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Fiutorres said:
I went to the magnolia store and was able to get the floor model of the bowers and Wilkins ASW610 model for $500 as this was a discontinued.

I listed to it and it sounded better and louder than some other subs that supposedly had more watts.

Any thought on this sub or if there is a better sub at the $500 price.

I would need a sub that is 10" maximum or would need a in wall. I would be wiling to spend a little more for in wall if I could get the same quality.

I will be using mostly for movies and have a polk audio 5.1 system (not sure if this makes a difference).

Thanks,
Carlos

Hello, The 600/610 series from BW are mainly suited for smaller rooms and/or moderate output levels with a music oriented system. Being small and sealed they really can't dig deep with much headroom. You can see more here

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=54

Which polk sub are you using now?

Remember, the "watts" won't tell you very much about the performance capabilities of the subwoofer. Some subs are much more efficient than others. For example, it may take subwoofer *A* 10 watts to produce the same bass output as subwoofer *B* with 1 watt. That means subwoofer B with 100 watts is equal to subwoofer A with 1000 watts..:)

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
I currently don't have a sub. I just had some polk audio RC85i speakers that came with the house which I'm using as the rears and just bought the front speakers 265rt left and right and 255c-RT so I wanted to add a sub to make it a complete. Currently using a Yamaha RX-v375 that I had from before.
This is a family from with an open kitchen behind and a open dining room on the right. Therefore it is a large area but only really concerned with the people who will be sitting on the couch watching movies. Not sure if that changes anything.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Fiutorres said:
I currently don't have a sub. I just had some polk audio RC85i speakers that came with the house which I'm using as the rears and just bought the front speakers 265rt left and right and 255c-RT so I wanted to add a sub to make it a complete. Currently using a Yamaha RX-v375 that I had from before.
This is a family from with an open kitchen behind and a open dining room on the right. Therefore it is a large area but only really concerned with the people who will be sitting on the couch watching movies. Not sure if that changes anything.

Could you work with something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-BAS-500-500-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008FSTU4G

That's one of the best

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
It definitely looks a good sub. My only problem is my wife does not like the look of speakers or subs. So my plan is either an in-wall speaker or a 10" sub that I can fit in the drawer that can be taken out when we are going to use it. I might also be able to get away with a white subwoofer without putting it away as this will match the wall unit. Therefore I would be open to any 10" sub, any in wall sub, and any white sub.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most ID sub manufacturers, for extra cost, will finish any subwoofer however you wish.

I had Salk make a sub(re-cabinetted Rythmik) look like a stucco end table.

Sent them dimensions of the actual end tables, they made one that size...and finish.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Fiutorres said:
It definitely looks a good sub. My only problem is my wife does not like the look of speakers or subs. So my plan is either an in-wall speaker or a 10" sub that I can fit in the drawer that can be taken out when we are going to use it. I might also be able to get away with a white subwoofer without putting it away as this will match the wall unit. Therefore I would be open to any 10" sub, any in wall sub, and any white sub.

For $500 total? I can't think of any quality in wall/on wall options at that price. Let me think about it today and see if I can find something.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fiutorres said:
Get the biggest Power Sound sub you can, cover it with a decorative cloth and put a lamp on it. That's called an end table. If you are handy with power tools then Google end table subwoofer and look at the images.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Fiutorres said:
For an in wall I would be willing to spend a little more.

I haven't had time to search much today(new product initial build run is today) but I do know Triad manufacturers a few different "in wall" and "on wall" options. No idea on pricing though. Also, please be aware that predetermining the subwoofer placement will likely result in performance compromises(versus being able to experiment with a avriety of spots).

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Production update 3-17-2015.

1) Today will be mostly V1500s and any current speaker orders. We should have all of the first run V1500s out the door by end of day tomorrow. This will catch us up to approximately March 5th-6th on these orders. Please chat/email me if you ordered around the 6th to see if you made it on the first run. Second run is scheduled for the week of 3-30.

2)Thursday will be another round of S1500s. By end of day we should be right around 3-10-2015 on this model. The second run is scheduled for the week of 4-6-2015.

3)Both the S3000 and S3000i are scheduled to begin shipping on 3-24-2015. This production run is just about 100% spoken for. If anyone is on the fence please don't wait. The second production run will likely be week of 4-13.

3)We currently have *okay* inventory on the XV15se and XS30se. A new order of XS15se subwoofer is on the books and we're looking at about 3 weeks for the cabinets to get here.

4)All speakers are still shipping within 1-2 business days.

5)T-18s are out of stock again and we're looking at 3-4 weeks to get the next batch of cabinets here. Please don't hesitate to check with us on possible discounts for the T-18s to compensate for this delay. Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
I found the following in wall subs and whites subs. Which would you recommend from these or is there any other you recommend that is white or in wall for a similar price

Definitive technology 800 - $400
Definitive technology in wall 10/10 - $750
Klipsch architectural rw-5802 - $550

Thanks
Carlos

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Fiutorres said:
I found the following in wall subs and whites subs. Which would you recommend from these or is there any other you recommend that is white or in wall for a similar price

Definitive technology 800 - $400
Definitive technology in wall 10/10 - $750
Klipsch architectural rw-5802 - $550

Thanks
Carlos
I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with those models. I wouldn't bank on the "specs" being even remotely accurate though---particularly some of the stated extension. Also, you realized you'll need a separate power amp with each of those too, correct?

I'll see if I can track down some objective test data on these over the weekend.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
Sorry I don't have much experience with sound systems. What do you mean by a separate power amp? Would this not just be connected to the receiver?

Thanks,
Carlos

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Fiutorres said:
Sorry I don't have much experience with sound systems. What do you mean by a separate power amp? Would this not just be connected to the receiver?

Thanks,
Carlos
Nope.

The majority of home subwoofers(HTD being one exception that comes to mind) have the amplifier built in.

In-walls, by their very nature, are more akin to car subwoofers.

Amplifiers, meant for subwoofer use, can be had inexpensively.

HTD(mentioned above) has three.

Behringer has the iNuke line(probably your best choice).

If you buy an external processor*, or an AVR with subwoofer processing on its own**, you can use any amplifier that has been made the last 100 years.

*Antimode 8033(there are other models)
**AVR with YPAO(top tier only) or Audyssey(XT or higher)

If you cheap out and "just hook an amp up to an AVR and run your sub", it will sound like crap. Placement of the subwoofer is CRITICAL.

In-wall is the polar opposite of critical.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Fiutorres said:

Thanks,
Carlos

Not with inwalls. You want to keep the electronics out of the wall for safety reasons. Here is one example of the amp for the DT subs you listed

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-In-Wall-SubAmp-Amplifier/dp/B00170MJYM/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XP5QA4R7RXE2354KTM5

You are basically doubling the price for each product you listed.

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Fiutorres

Grip
Real Name
carlos
Ok I guess due to the price doubling for in will want to go with either the definitive 800 or the klipsh architectural rw-5802. Unless you can think of any other white sub for about $500 that would be better. Hopefully they can fill in the family room where I have my system setup. If they don't I will have to stick with the bowers and Wilkins ASW610 which I currently have hidden in a drawer and move once I am going to use it.

Thanks,
Carlos

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Fiutorres said:
Ok I guess due to the price doubling for in will want to go with either the definitive 800 or the klipsh architectural rw-5802. Unless you can think of any other white sub for about $500 that would be better. Hopefully they can fill in the family room where I have my system setup. If they don't I will have to stick with the bowers and Wilkins ASW610 which I currently have hidden in a drawer and move once I am going to use it.

Thanks,
Carlos

I'd stick to what you have. I don't see anything in your price range being an improvement over the 610. And you may very well find the in walls to be a downgrade. Of course your convenience factor needs to be factored in as well. I'm sure its no fun to move the subwoofer every time you want to watch a film.

Which speakers are you using for the main L/R?

Tom V.

Power Sound Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks