What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kiss, Me Stupid -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Billy Wilder's 1964 Kiss Me, Stupid, is classic '60s Wilder, and a film that you'll find has a great deal going on just beneath its black & white, Panavision surface.

Strange thing is, that this is an MGM release via Olive, but it looks terrific.

Superb textures, with a nice gray scale, great blacks, a beautiful grain structure and great resolution.

A couple of very minor marks left in to remind us that we're watching fillum, but a great Blu-ray!

Terrific film.  Nice to have more Wilder / Diamond.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Wow! I wasn't expecting this to look good.

I saw this when it first came out and I loved it. I've never understood the bad reputation this film has. The DVD looks a bit rough so I'll buy this Blu-ray disc.

One thing I've always admired about Dean Martin is that he was not afraid to portray severely flawed characters. In this film he plays a depraved version of himself. Not many actors would have agreed to do that.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Kim Novak, Dean Martin and even Felicia Farr (Mrs. Jack Lemmon) are in top form here. The weak link is Ray Walston. It's a pity that Peter Sellers' heart attack couldn't have waited until after the film was made.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never felt that Ray Walston was a weak link although it would have been interesting to see Peter Sellers' interpretation. I certainly agree that the other three main players are really good.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Got my shipping notice on this Blu this past weekend so its on its way to my house in Florida. But I'll have a wait a bit till I get home to watch it.

Lord I still have a stack of 20 or so new Blus I haven't got to yet.

Hot on the heels of Kiss Me Stupid, the Blus for Musicals Collection (from WHV) and Love At First Bite/Once Bitten.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Robert Harris said:
Billy Wilder's 1964 Kiss Me, Stupid, is classic '60s Wilder, and a film that you'll find has a great deal going on just beneath its black & white, Panavision surface.

Strange thing is, that this is an MGM release via Olive, but it looks terrific.

Superb textures, with a nice gray scale, great blacks, a beautiful grain structure and great resolution.

A couple of very minor marks left in to remind us that we're watching fillum, but a great Blu-ray!

Terrific film. Nice to have more Wilder / Diamond.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Does it have the alternate or cut scenes that were shown separately at Film Forum some years back? (I can't remember now if they were alternate takes for the European market or scenes that were cut to appease the censors.)

Would it have been possible to include any of the Sellers footage? If any useable Sellers footage, with sound, was included as an extra, that would be quite a selling point for a release like this.

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
Now if someone will give us a blu-ray release (and, hopefully, in as good shape) of "One, Two, Three" and "The Fortune Cookie" (and, I guess to complete the early to mid-sixties portion of Wilder's career, "Irma La Douce") then all will be right with the world.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
And then add the Lemmon/Matthau The Front Page, with its supporting cast of David Wayne, Carol Burnett, Susan Sarandon, Charles Durning and every character actor you ever heard of.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Vic Pardo said:
Does it have the alternate or cut scenes that were shown separately at Film Forum some years back? (I can't remember now if they were alternate takes for the European market or scenes that were cut to appease the censors.)

Would it have been possible to include any of the Sellers footage? If any useable Sellers footage, with sound, was included as an extra, that would be quite a selling point for a release like this.

Since this is an Olive release, we're lucky to get a trailer. Which we don't get.

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
It's a pity that Olive never offers english subtitles, unlike Twilight Time and Kino Lorber.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks