What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-3-2015 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Posted Image

The Features

– Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 – 2014)

– Foxcatcher – 2014

– Kiss Me Kate – 1953

– Jack Buchanan, Nanette Fabray, Fred Astaire & Oscar Levant (The Band Wagon – 1953)

– Calamity Jane – 1953

– Blacula – 1972

The Prices

Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
Adventure Time:  Volume 9 - Frost & Fire     $11.98    
Ask Me Anything $19.99    
Barbie in Princess Power   $14.96   $12.99
Better Angels, The   $14.96    
Blood Car   $13.99    
Bridge, The [2006]   $19.99    
Captive, The   $24.95    
CHiPs:  Season 3    $24.95    
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader $11.98    
DaVinci's Demons: Season 2 $24.96 $24.99  
Foxcatcher   $17.98 $17.99 $17.99
Hill Street Blues:  Season Four    $24.98    
Humbling, The   $11.99    
 Hunger Games, The: Mockingjay Part I  [Available Friday, March 6]  $x.xx $14.99 $15.99
Innocence [2014]   $9.98    
Jaws [3-Movie Collection]   $9.99    
Last of Robin Hood, The   $13.99    
Life Partners   $12.96    
Longmire:  Season 3   $29.93    
Messenger of the Truth   $13.98    
Outlander:  Season One   Part 1 $22.98 $22.99 $22.99
Snoopy and Friends   $6.99    
Tinkerbell and the Legend Of The Neverbeast   $17.97 $17.99 $17.99
To Write Love on Her Arms   $19.99    

Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
Band Wagon, The    $14.98    
Barbie in Princess Power    $24.28   $17.99
Believe Me    $12.99    
Blacula / Scream Blacula Scream   $17.84    
Calamity Jane    $14.99    
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [10th Anniversary Edition]    $18.49    
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader $21.99    
Curious George    $14.99    
Da Vinci's Demons:  Season 2 $34.96 $27.99  
Equilibrium    $24.99    
Exterminators Of The Year 3000    $15.89    
Foxcatcher    $19.97 $19.99 $19.99
Full Frontal    $14.99    
Grifters, The    $x.xx    
Hook $14.99    
Humbling, The    $17.99    
 Hunger Games, The: Mockingjay Part I   [Available Friday, March 6]  $x.xx $19.99 $19.99
Innocence [2014]    $14.99    
Jesus Christ Superstar    $14.99    
Kiss Me Kate [Blu-ray 3-D]   $14.96    
Last of Robin Hood, The    $19.99    
Life Partners    $20.99    
Longmire:   Season 3    $34.99    
Mobsters    $13.49    
Mrs. Doubtfire    $14.99    
Musicals [4-Movie Collection]    $26.44    
On Any Sunday $21.99    
Outlander:  Season One   Part 1 $34.99 $26.99 $29.99
Tinkerbell and the Legend Of The Neverbeast    $22.96 $22.99 $22.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Best Buy, this week (Friday), has EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING with their Blu copies of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1.  Also, BB has good prices on the earlier films in the series:  Hunger Games:  $6.99 DVD/$8.99 Blu and Hunger Games: Catching Fire:  $9.99 DVD/$12.99 Blu.   

--Best Buy also has more titles eligible for their 100 BONUS My Best Buy points:  $6.99 Double Feature DVD of Crazy Stupid Love and Horrible Bosses, $7.99 Blu of The Shawshank Redemption and $8.99 Blu of Inception.  More titles to choose from.  

--The following releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$9.99:  Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1

$14.99:  Wonder Woman: Season 1, Teen Wolf: Season 3 Part 2.

$19.99:  Arrow: Season 2 (Blu), Girls: Season 3.

$26.99:  Girls: Season 3 (Blu)

$29.99:  Boardwalk Empire: S4, Batman: Season 2 Part 1.

$31.99:  Sons of Anarchy: Final Season

$32.99:  Game of Thrones: Season 4

$36.99:  Sons of Anarchy: Season 4 (Blu)

$39.99:  Game of Thrones: S4 (Blu), Boardwalk Empire: S5 (Blu)

--Best Buy is advertising a deal to pre-order The Hobbit: The Battle if the Five Armies (release date 3-24-15) sometime after 3-3-15 (in store or online) and own it on digital HD the same day via CinemaNow.  Pre-order the EXCLUSIVE Best Buy STEELBOOK Blu-ray for $24.99.   In anticipation of this release, BB is advertising the Blu EE editions  of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ($19.99) and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug ($22.99).  Also, the Blu EE edition of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for $49.99.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE RELEASE of Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1.  Bonus content includes 45 minutes of extra content and a booklet.

--Save $10 instantly at Target when you buy BOTH Outlander: Season 1 Part 1 AND Outlander the book ($8.49 paperback).

--Target is also advertising a FREE Minion Ink Stamp Set when you buy ANY Despicable Me movie.  Free offer quantities limited.  No rainchecks. 

--The following DVD releases are on sale this week at Target:

$8.99:  Paw Patrol, Blaze of Glory

$14.99:  The Book of Life

$16.99:  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

$17.99:  Maleficent,

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $8 DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not sure what's going on @ Amazon with regard to Mockingjay. I pre-ordered the title from them back on February 10th and the Blu release was priced at $19.96 at that time.

Wal-Mart will have a Blu release of Mockingjay for $16.86...but it does NOT include a DVD copy.

And, if you want some info on the big Warners Musical Collection release this week...here is how to find out what RAH has to say about it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably pick up Blacula two pack and I'll get The Hunger Games on Friday.

Foxcatcher is worth a rental to see three excellent performances.

Mike Frezon said:
Not sure what's going on @ Amazon with regard to Mockingjay. I pre-ordered the title from them back on February 10th and the Blu release was priced at $19.96 at that time.
Considering the popularity of the title, I think it must be a situation where Amazon is trying to strong arm Lion's Gate for a bigger cut (like they did with Warners last year).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:

Wal-Mart will have a Blu release of Mockingjay for $16.86...but it does NOT include a DVD copy.

And, if you want some info on the big Warners Musical Collection release this week...here is how to find out what RAH has to say about it.
It's another Amazon/Studio feud and apparently Amazon has pulled their pre-orders for a studio that won't negotiate with them. There was an article hanging around
somewhere.

Also the link to Chronicles of Narnia is pointing to Jesus Christ Superstar. With CS Lewis's religious persuasions I
thought it was appropriate

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David Norman said:
Also the link to Chronicles of Narnia is pointing to Jesus Christ Superstar. With CS Lewis's religious persuasions I
though it was appropriate

Very true. And, very fixed. Thanks, David!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike. Any word on the Target packaging for Mockingjay? They had special packaging for Catching Fire and I liked it. I was wondering if they were doing matching packaging for this release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the Roundup, Mike. Does anyone know what's new on the new Blu-ray releases of Mrs. Doubtfire and Hook versus the older editions? Mrs. Dobutfire's box art says Digital HD is included now, but I'm not sure that would be worth $14.99 considering the older edition is on sale for $7.99. I just learned of these when looking at the Roundup, as all I was coming to check on was Mockingjay -- still not sure what I'm going to do about that one. After being majorly burned by the Best Buy steels of the first two last year, which were missing bonus features for the first film and a DVD of the second, I'm more inclined to just get the regular edition this time. I will probably also get the musicals collection at some point.

I am also curious about this new edition of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, as I have the original blu-ray edition of that...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike.

Usually Disney is one of the very best studios for sending out review materials WAY ahead of time, but I only got an e-mail about the mailing of Tinker Bell/Neverbeast on Friday, so this is one of the few times I can't have the review prior to street date. Very frustrating.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DavidJ said:
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike. Any word on the Target packaging for Mockingjay? They had special packaging for Catching Fire and I liked it. I was wondering if they were doing matching packaging for this release.

Not sure, David. The Target ad says NOTHING about unique packaging. Just the bonus disc and booklet. That would lead me to assume there's nothing exclusive about the packaging, but...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike Frezon said:
How's that different from my link in the grid, Tony?
Hold on, I have that answer right here, just give me second. Woops, uh I'll be right back.........

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I cancelled my preorder for TinkerBell; it is way too expensive when I got the other movies in the series for cheap at Costco. Gonna wait on Hunger Games, too, until that comes down in price, prolly closer to Thanksgiving, I'm guessing.

Stopped into Costco and picked up a few Criterion's for $19.99: The Last Temptation of Christ and and The Thin Red Line. They had other titles I hadn't seen before in the selection (Naked Lunch, for one, and a title I can't remember about Stephen Hawking). I was tempted to pick up a few more, but figured two on a whim was quite enough, thank you very much.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The new Tinkerbell movie was produced in 3D, but isn't being released that way even outside of the country.

Pre-ordered the musicals set that includes Kiss Me Kate over a month ago, but it still hasn't shipped!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike! I'm in for the musicals. Just used the HTF link to order. For some reason, this release was not on my radar. It looks like a great set at a great price!

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Outlander and Hunger Games for me. Hopefully Amazon will match Best Buy on Outlander.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently nobody cares...but the DVD link for Ask Me Anything goes to The Humbling.

Both, however, are quite good. Not sure I'm buying either though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as always for the RoundUp, Mike!
DavidJ said:
They'll be doing the same thing again with this release:
mockingjay-part1-target.png

(Note that the fabric poster seems to be a preorder-only extra)

I'm leaning toward their release since, with the impending death of TargetTicket, they're back to releasing a bonus disc for their retailer exclusive extras. On the other hand, I really appreciate the durability of Steelbook cases. If I knew the extras were crap, i'd go with the Best Buy steelbook, but I don't want to miss out on any extras I'd like to have.

"Outlander" is a no-brainer at some point, but I'll wait for the inevitable "Complete First Season" release instead of buying just the first eight episodes now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks