What's new

Screen goes blank when receiver switches decoders? (1 Viewer)

marriedgeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I just bought a new Samsung UN50EH5000 to replace a 8 year old LG LCD. I also have an older Yahama 5.1 receiver. I also use a Roku, where the output of that goes into the receiver, and the output of the receiver goes into the HDMI of the TV.

The problem is, since installing the new TV, when switching between something that is in stereo so something that is DD 5.1, the screen will go blank. The TV is still on. The workaround is I have to change the input to something else, then back to the original input. It seems in the brief 1/2 second it takes to to switch, it must disconnect and reconnect the HDMI signal, but the TV is getting confused.

My old LG never had this issue and the issue only happens the first time. After that, it works fine. Still, it's very annoying for a new TV. Do I need to upgrade to a newer receiver? Help please! Thanks.

Here's a video I made demoing the issue:

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yes, time to upgrade your AVR (receiver). HDMI 1.3, 1.4a or 2.0

marriedgeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Gregg Loewen said:
yes, time to upgrade your AVR (receiver). HDMI 1.3, 1.4a or 2.0

Sorry, I didn't follow up on this from before, but that was the eventual fix.

My old receiver was a Yamaha RX-V367 and I purchased a RX-V377 which fixed the issue. I bought the new receiver on sale for 199 and sold my old one for 120. Good news is, it supports DD+, so now I get to enjoy Netflix in 5.1. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks