What's new

3D BIG HERO 6 (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My question, now that this film somehow won the Oscar over BOX TROLLS (can't we give the damn award to something besides CGI?), is...where can the 3-D version of this film be found? Not in the U.S., of course. But, generally these turn up in Europe, and I can't find it available there, either (although the box art is up).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Amazon UK has the 3D version available for pre-order at £19.50 but no release date yet, probably April?

I liked the Box Trolls but I enjoyed Big Hero 6 more. Glad it won the Oscar.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Steve Christou said:
Amazon UK has the 3D version available for pre-order at £19.50 but no release date yet, probably April?

I liked the Box Trolls but I enjoyed Big Hero 6 more. Glad it won the Oscar.
According to the pre-order listing on Amazon UK the release is region B/2. Does that make it official or is this just Amazon assuming it's region locked until they know? Come on, we already know don't we? It's going to be region locked, this is Disney.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dick said:
My question, now that this film somehow won the Oscar over BOX TROLLS (can't we give the damn award to something besides CGI?), is...where can the 3-D version of this film be found? Not in the U.S., of course. But, generally these turn up in Europe, and I can't find it available there, either (although the box art is up).

3D has already been released in Hong Kong (Region A),

Taiwan next week.

Australia March 25

India March 30

Italy April 8

Japan April 24

Spain April 29

Germany Jun 11

UK no release date but most people are guessing June due to the theatrical release date

Best prices so far have been around $28-32 but once all the European releases stack up the price will surely drop.

UK pulled their Pre-order earlier to day for some reason -- maybe they are getting ready to put it up with a true

release date, but it would be odd for them to know ahead of everyone else.

The early releases so far and 3rd hand advance reports from otehr countries who have seen pre-release discs are all

saying Region Free -- as usual ignore Amazon's listings especially pre-release.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
According to the pre-order listing on Amazon UK the release is region B/2. Does that make it official or is this just Amazon assuming it's region locked until they know? Come on, we already know don't we? It's going to be region locked, this is Disney.

No reason to believe this will be region locked -- no Disney movie with a theatrical release since 2009-2010 has been locked.

Even Ratatouille was kind of a one-off since that 3D Disc was only supposed to be released in Europe to begin with to promote DisneyWorld Paris. At least 2 Disney 3D releases have been region Free even though the older 2D was locked (Up and Night Before Xmas)

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Received my 3D "Big Hero 6" from Hong Kong yesterday. I sampled a bit of it and it looks fine and works great. Will watch it all this weekend. Expensive, but I like 3D and so I paid. Get your act together Disney. Maybe if you sold some 3D titles in the USA you wouldn't have to raise the ticket prices at Disneyland.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
First reports of the India 3D release from end users coming out early and they say Region Free -- this is a 3D only release

so no 2D disc included. Apparently there is a 2nd release of a 2 Disc 2d+3D set coming out later

A reliable Ebay seller seems to have early stock and is sending them out now - $35 so still not inexpensive, but

less than the HK releases so far.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
bob kaplan said:
How long did it take for the Hong Kong release to reach you?

thanks.
It was estimated to take over a month, but it took three weeks or less... not exactly sure. And I've watched it all now and it's great.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I finally had time to compose a letter to Robert Iger at Disney about the 3D situation and will be sending out a printed copy tomorrow. Anyone else can feel free to copy it, sign their name to it and also mail it if they like.

Dear Mr. Iger,

As a long-time home video consumer who has purchased literally thousands of movies in every format of the past and present, I am writing to express my complete disgust at Disney’s current attitude towards home 3D. I have loved 3D for a long time and was elated to finally see 3D movies return to theaters as well as have the ability to view high-quality 3D at home for the first time. Disney promoted 3D Blu-Ray rather well when it was first introduced (including the 3D animated promo with Timon and Pumbaa) but has now inexplicably stopped releasing 3D titles in the US market (such as Frozen, Maleficent, Planes: Fire and Rescue, and Big Hero 6.) While these titles have ended up released on Blu-Ray in other countries and have been available in the US through “digital” services such as Vudu, the only Blu-Ray editions available in the US have been in 2D.

Disney’s initial 3D releases played a large part in my deciding to upgrade my home equipment to 3D (“Tron Legacy” was one of the first 3D movies I watched at home, and it was quite an experience!) I’m sure others were also persuaded greatly by Disney’s offerings, and we are now bewildered as well as frustrated at the sudden abandonment. While Disney refuses to state a reason for not releasing its newest 3D titles on Blu-Ray, many have speculated that they have not been pleased with sales figures so far and that the adoption of home 3D has not been as big as expected. The fact is that it may take much longer for home 3D to reach the market penetration level that the industry would like it to have- the first 3D displays appeared in stores shortly after many consumers had just replaced their old standard-definition TVs with new HD models, and weren’t about to replace those again so soon. Like the introduction of color TV, 3D will need to have time to grow- and in the meantime, Disney’s withholding of popular movies like “Frozen” is certainly not going to HELP the adoption rate! Home 3D has already come farther than it ever has in the past for the industry to simply give up on it!

Meanwhile the other studios have continued to release 3D Blu-Ray discs and I have been buying as many as possible to show my support as well as feed my desire for more 3D material. I have noticed the smaller companies (such as Lionsgate, Shout Factory and Anchor Bay) have been releasing their 3D titles as only ONE SKU, with NO separate 2D-only package available- meaning that EVERY copy sold includes a 3D copy as well as 2D. This seems a good strategy to get more 3D material into consumers’ homes, and if these small companies can do it this way then why can’t Disney? (At Target recently, I purchased a CG-animated, direct-to-video movie that had just been released called “Jungle Shuffle” on 3D Blu-Ray, from Cinedigm. This was a single-disc release, with NO separate 2D-only version available. Next to it on the shelf was Disney’s “Big Hero 6”, obviously a much more well-known movie from a larger studio, yet I could not buy THAT in 3D!)

While US consumers may have the option of obtaining Disney 3D movies via Vudu, the problem with that is that most equipment available is not compatible with it- even though I have a 3D TV and a 3D Blu-Ray player which both have the Vudu app, NEITHER can access any of Vudu’s 3D content. Additionally, many of us prefer to collect movies via traditional media and the picture quality of Vudu, even at the highest internet speed, still cannot match that of a well-produced Blu-Ray disc. Our other option has been to order 3D Blu-Ray discs from the other countries they have been released in- I purchased “Frozen” and “Maleficent” from Europe and enjoy them greatly. Buying discs from outside the US includes high shipping costs however as well as a long wait for them to arrive here- plus with Disney being an American company, it does not make a lot of sense for us to have to purchase your movies from outside the country!

Since several of Disney’s future theatrical releases will be in 3D, I am hoping that the Home Entertainment division will release those on 3D Blu-Ray. Those of us who have already invested in 3D equipment will buy any compelling content that is issued, and this sort of content will drive more consumers to adopt home 3D as well. Forcing us to import from other countries or withholding these titles altogether will only hurt home 3D and stifle its future growth, as well as promote further negativity towards the Walt Disney Company among its most loyal consumers. If the other studios and electronics manufacturers ever give up on home 3D completely and make it a failed technology, I will blame Disney for that the most and likely begrudge the company for a long time to come.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Comcast has Big Hero 6 in 3D On Demand for a rental now. In the next few months it should be on Starz On Demand in 3D. If I like it, I can wait for Disney's next buy one get one free offer.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't like the Warner Home Video "snapper case" DVD debacle of the early 00's. If I recall, Warner was contracted with the snapper case supplier to make those damnable things that everyone hated. Warner, though, was mum. Does Disney have some exclusive contract with Vudu that precludes physical Blu-ray 3D media in the United States? And mum's the word?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have discovered that, if all you want to do is see this in 3-D in your home once and don't need to own it, an outfit called 3-D Rental.com has it a la carte for $7.99. Must be all-region, or they wouldn't be carrying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks