What's new

New Home Theater..looking for input (1 Viewer)

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
We recently got our basement framed and sheetrocked, all rooms are almost complete. Looking for some ideas for my Home Theater room. I have all wiring run for projector and speakers. I am looking for ideas on projector (don't think we would have any use for 3D at this time), screen (framed type), speakers (in wall, in-ceiling, and sub, 7.1). Don't have a huge budget at all as just finishing up basement, but would like to see if we could afford it. The room has not been painted yet and no flooring so any ideas on that would help also. I have a spot built in, in the back of the room in the soffit for the projector. Here is an what the room will look like, it has a soffit on the back wall, and both sides, not on the front where the screen is. The window faces to the North. Any other questions, let me know. I will look at my receiver and let you know what that is when I get a chance. I suppose I would like to stay around $2500 for now and upgrade when I can. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• Home Theater.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 127

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
How large is the space? Are you looking for a 5.1, 7.1? What are you sources that you're going to use? Are you looking for advice on just the projector or the whole project? Are you opposed to refurb gear?

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
See .pdf for size of area in first post

looking for probably 7.1, that is what I have it wired for anyway. The two speakers in the back would be under the soffit...the other two surrounds would be in the ceiling space.

not sure what you mean by sources?

Looking for advice on the whole project

I guess open to refurb gear if that would be a good way to go...just not sure on everything to use, espically on a budget...

Thanks

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Ok..thanks Schan1269

Probably Dish network for cable...Blueray Player, possible game system (have Wii now), which I also have wired to the room, back to the AV central area. Not sure if a computer hook-in is still done or not? But mainly movies and music for the room. Also interested in wireless remote, I installed wire in the wall back to the AV centeral area for this but not sure how this works. Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All remotes are wireless. Did you mean RF or network?

Yep, the HTPC is alive and well.

This "remote wire"...
Coax? Ethernet? What?

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
True..LOL...sorry bout that, I mean a universal remote controlling more than just one AV unit...I can't remember off the top of my head what I ran up there for a wire...I will have to check on that...AV guru helped me to let me know what wires to run...but he has since moved.

By HTPC...do you mean Home Theater Personal Computer?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Regarding your pdf....

What is the room orientation?

You dont show where you put wires for anything. Where did you put the center wire? How tall is the ceiling?

We need to know that to know screen size and projector recommendations.

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Center wire is called out on .pdf below screen on front, the front of the room where the screen is, is East, window is on the North side of the house. The projector will throw the 15'-3-1/4" dimension to the screen.

The round red circles on the .pdf indicate the ceiling speakers, which the back two will be in the soffit. The front speakers will be in the built in angled walls at the left and right of the screen. Pictures on flickr show this on my 3rd post.

The sub wiring is in the lower left of the room as indicated on the .pdf.

The projector wiring is run into the soffit where I have a built in shelf for the projector to sit.

Ceiling height is 8'-0", not in the soffit areas.

Anything else let me know...thanks for your help

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buzter said:
Center wire is called out on .pdf below screen on front, the front of the room where the screen is, is East, window is on the North side of the house. The projector will throw the 15'-3-1/4" dimension to the screen.

The round red circles on the .pdf indicate the ceiling speakers, which the back two will be in the soffit. The front speakers will be in the built in angled walls at the left and right of the screen. Pictures on flickr show this on my 3rd post.

The sub wiring is in the lower left of the room as indicated on the .pdf.

The projector wiring is run into the soffit where I have a built in shelf for the projector to sit.

Ceiling height is 8'-0", not in the soffit areas.

Anything else let me know...thanks for your help
You might glance at your own link. Nothing is there, for anything...except room dimensions.

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Hmmm...when I bring it up it has all my markups...I will redo and upload...sorry guys

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hard to tell from the pictures if those angled wall sections on the front are 45 degrees or shallower. If they are 45 degrees, I worry that the "toe in" they produce is too severe (one of the limitations of in-wall speakers - you can't move them easily).

The placement of the surrounds seems decent, though I might consider wall-mounting the 4/5 speakers (traditionally the side speakers in a 5.1 setup) rather than going with in-ceiling. In-ceiling for the 6/7 would be acceptable.

Hopefully that corner location for the sub will work out, though a nearly square room is not ideal for acoustics. At least you'll have some placement flexibility - a lengthy sub cable should allow you to try different locations in that "quadrant" of the theater for maximizing performance.

Have you checked out any of the projector reviews at www.projectorcentral.com and www.projectorreviews.com ?

Projector selection may prove to be tricky - I'll let others chime in with specific recommendations. You have a pretty long throw (15 feet) and your location for the projector is right up nearly flush with the ceiling. One of our typical "budget" projector recommendations, the BenQ 1070 (though there's a newer model out now) at that distance produces a 140" + image. That may be too big...

You may find you have many more options if you ceiling mount the projector further into the room.

Good luck.

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I just updated the Home Theater.pdf so there are no .pdf mark-ups...did everything in the drawing..hopefully clears things up.

Attachments

• Home Theater.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 140

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Again...I hope what I have done will work as everything is wired already..and behind sheetrock...placement of speakers in ceiling and soffit can move a little..but I do have them already wired in the ceiling and same goes for the sub, that corner is where the hook-up is also. Not sure of the angle of the corner built ins..but I can directional the speakers anyway in those cubbys as I will be making grills to cover that opening. Ceiling mount projector would not work again as wiring is in place in the soffit and would not reach. I will have to measure tonight again..but the projector I may have designed the shelf for it to sit at the front of the soffit...so it would have maybe a foot less of throw for it. Thanks again.

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I could even possibly use bookshelf speakers in the front angled walls if that would produce a better speaker and sound, as you would not see what is behind the speaker grills I make for there.

Buzter

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Found my wiring chart last night..this is what I have run..

Speaker wires to each speaker location

Cat5 to RF Remote below screen

RG6 to subwoofer

Projector:

HDMI cable

4, RG6 cables

2, Cat5 cables

Gaming outlet

3 RG6 cables

1 Cat5 cable

HDMI Cable

I have also updated the Home Theather .pdf with some new dimensions

Attachments

• Home Theater.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 126

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How much money are you devoting to the projector?

All the "cheap" projectors capable of 120" screen at 14'(which is a guess...as you didn't provide that dimension...and haven't said what size screen either) are slow speed DLP.

The lowest cost LCD is the Epson 8350 at $900.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks