What's new

Speakers/Sound bar for Big screen TV with low speaker volume (1 Viewer)

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
Hello,

I have a 46 inch samsung that I have mounted for my kids to stream movies on. The volume is fine when it is quite but when there are multiple kids talking it becomes very hard to hear. What is the best and most economical way to fix this?

I wasn't sure what speakers/sound bar would be good for this situation so any suggestions would be apprecieated.

Thank you

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
We normally try to recommend an AVR with a pair of speakers as a minimum for any audio solution. That being said it sounds like you're looking for a soundbar to pair with the TV so that you can boost the audio. Do you know the model number of the TV or if has audio outputs on it? You'll need this to move forward.

How much is your budget for this project? Is this just for the kids or is this for you too? What kind of sound are you expecting to get out of this upgrade? Do you plan on wall mounting the soundbar/speakers?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If your budget allows, the most direct approach is to get a passive soundbar and a receiver to drive it. That does add to the complexity of operation though, so if your kids are too small that's not ideal. (Although some TV's wil sense a receiver and automatically turn it on. My Sony TV sees the Yamaha and turn the TV speakers off and the receiver on.)

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies. The tv is a Samsung 46' model: UN46EH5300F

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46EH5300FXZA-specs

This tv is what my kids watch most of their television on. Me and my wife some stuff on there but I don't want to add any surround sound.

I only stream movies for the kids because I want to avoid wires because my son will pull on them.

I'm looking for something to make it a bit louder so they can hear over each other talking. If mounted it would be great if not there is a small shelf under the tv I can put it on.

I know this isn't a lot but I was hoping to only spend around $100 if that is possible.

Thanks again for the help

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Sounds like your looking for a one piece soundbar around a $100. I don't know that at that price point there is a lot of options. This Vizio and Philips seem to fit the bill and might be worth a look.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
jerry8989 said:
...but when there are multiple kids talking it becomes very hard to hear. What is the best and most economical way to fix this?

Have the kids quiet down when watching TV or just turn it off if they're not paying attention. :)

Getting a system that will "play louder when they're all talking" is just going to escalate the situation.

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
Thank you ArmSC. I will look at those 2.

In your opinion what is a sutable price for what I'm looking for?

Jason, the problem is one is watching tv while the other ones are playing.

Thanks again

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
It's hard to say...I don't like spending a lot on a soundbar because they are so limited. I would look at these Yamaha units because of the built in "subwoofers" so you get some low end.

I'm not saying the others I linked are bad I just feel they will sound weak with no low end to them. The big problem is that normally when I recommend a soundbar they would have a bass module with them so you get a bit of low end. With the all in one units you don't get that and I'm not a fan of wireless subs at this price point. If you want to try it go for it but I would normally recommend a wired unit to someone. This Vizio is pretty much the same one as above with the wireless sub.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll vouch for the BA.

Crappy remote sensor though. You have to be dead in front with the remote at the same elevation.

And apparently you did discover your TV has a headphone jack. Speakers care not that you have a TV, computer or an ipod.

My suggestion...

Some cheap T-amp of around 40 watts and...a pair of BIC DV52.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I haven't heard that BA soundbar so I can't say either way. However, if Sam says it good then I would really give it a close look. The price on the BA is good too.

The computer speakers that you found would work but for the same money you could get a soundbar with a bass module that would have the correct inputs and a remote. I was looking at the one piece soundbars because I thought you wouldn't want the extra woofer with more wires to deal with. I would rather use a soundbar with a bass module (sony or philips as an example) vs the computer speakers and headphone output. That's just me.

Of course Sam has a good point in that if you're going with the computer speakers you might as well just get a small mini amp and hook up some bookshelf speakers to it. I think the DV52 would be good because they already have the keyholes built in so they don't need a mount. They also have a pretty tough grill so the little ones would have a hard time poking the drivers in too. You could always do the DV62s like Sam suggested as they would sound better it really up to you.

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I realized I had an extra pair of computer speakers so I tried them out and they worked great.

I didn't even think of it till I saw that set that looked like computer speakers.

Thanks again for all your help

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jerry8989 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I realized I had an extra pair of computer speakers so I tried them out and they worked great.

I didn't even think of it till I saw that set that looked like computer speakers.

Thanks again for all your help
Even when we help you not to buy something...we like the feedback letting us know you got it sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks