What's new

Help With Impedance Matching (1 Viewer)

IBourgal

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
I have installed a Russound ALT-126R volume control and need help determining the impedance match setting.

The setup is this:

Yamaha R-s700(set to 8ohms)>Niles Audio SS-6 speaker selector.

From the speaker selector are 3 pairs of Infinity P162 (rated 8ohms)

1 pair of B&W 686 (rated 4ohms)

The Volume control is between the speaker selector and the B&Ws.

How do I determine the impedance setting on the volume controls?

The instruction manual includes a chart, but I cannot tell if the speaker selector changes things. Do I treat it as if the B&Ws are the only pair? Or do I include all of the 8ohm pairs?

Any help is appreciated. I can post the chart if it helps. thanks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It sounds like the speaker selector is in series with a single set of speakers; if so the impedance is simply cumulative. What bothers me is they included a chart, so they seem to think it's more complicated than that. Checking their site, it appears they allow for multiple pairs of speakers to be attached to the device, so that is probably what complicates matters, which you aren't doing. But yeah, it would be interesting to see the chart.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The chart is straight forward.

Treat the B&W as two pairs of speakers...so...you "have five pairs of speakers".

That is a typical speaker switch ran in parallel.

3 pairs of 8 ohm speakers ends up at 2. Throw in a 4 ohm pair, you are at 1.

1 ohm times 8...

8ohm.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What threw me off in the original post is this, "The Volume control is between the speaker selector and the B&Ws." But as Sam figured out, you really have the switch between (or connected to) ALL the speaker pairs.

So yeah, I agree with Sam, set the volume control to 8x. (Although I can't follow Sam's calculation; I was just using the chart.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IBourgal said:
Thanks. Is it ok that I end up at 8ohms and not 4 (as the speakers are rated)?
Yep.

Won't make any difference...to the speakers.

The only thing that matters is not making the amplifier crash and burn.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
While I'm not positive, it appears that the control knob is just trying to make up for the fact that you're running speakers in parallel. If you did that without some sort of compensation you put a very low impedance on the amp, which would likely fry it (these days it would just go into protect mode, but it's fun to say "fry"). So to answer your question, yes it's okay (and doesn't have anything to do with the speaker, it's for the amp).

IBourgal

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
One more question.... Does anything change if the speaker selector says it is also "impedance matching?"

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok. Is the volume control, before or after the SS6?

If after, don't set anything. That Yamaha, with the SS6, will be fine if only 1 pair is 4ohm.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Set it to 2X.

Read the chart like this:

- 1st chart (for 8 ohm receiver).

- 1st col (y-axix) 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers

- 1st row (x-axis) 0 pairs of 8 ohm speakers

- the cell where they intersect says "2X"

IBourgal

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
Well, everything was working fine and sounding great for months. Until last night. The computer that was connected to the line input crashed. Since this is a bar, an Iphone was used to keep the music going. The manager connected the phone to the phono input instead of the line input. After a couple of hours, the SS-6 (speaker selector) caught fire! I didn't think fire was possibility. Everything was working fine for 10 hours a day since February. Could this change have caused this? What do I need to change to keep these 4 sets of speakers working all day everyday?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IBourgal said:
Well, everything was working fine and sounding great for months. Until last night. The computer that was connected to the line input crashed. Since this is a bar, an Iphone was used to keep the music going. The manager connected the phone to the phono input instead of the line input. After a couple of hours, the SS-6 (speaker selector) caught fire! I didn't think fire was possibility. Everything was working fine for 10 hours a day since February. Could this change have caused this? What do I need to change to keep these 4 sets of speakers working all day everyday?
Yep. Overdrove the system...till something fried.

Make sure the amp isn't fried as well.

IBourgal

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the reply.

It turns out it was the Volume Control that burned up, not the speaker selector. What exactly "overdrove the system?" The overall set up or the iphone in the Phono input? Or both?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks