What's new

How to buy and install Fiberglass? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here I am, mister "lucky to know how to hang a picture on the wall" guy.

I can confidently say I am not a DIY guy.

So, the new project is installing Fiberglass. Or, at least, I think that is what I should do. Let me explain...

I am building a home theater in a basement that is approximately 12x16 feet.

Between the drop ceiling grid and the actual ceiling is a lot of space and some pipes/ducts.

There is some cold air coming into the basement from somewhere.

Additionally, sound is definitely leaking into the upper floors.

Am I correct that fiberglass insulation will take care of drafts -and- isolate sound from leaking upstairs?

If so, what kind of fiberglass should I buy from Home Depot or Lowes?

Next step, how do you handle fiberglass? I thought it can get real itchy if you get it on you.

Finally, how do you measure and cut fiberglass to fit exactly in the drop ceiling area you need?

Feel free to link to specific product on Home Depot or Lowes site.

Thank you in advance

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm no expert but I've done fiberglass before. Is this primarily sound insulation or for heat insulation, it sounds like you'd like a little of both. If it's just heat insulation, you can get pipe wrap that is easier to install, cheaper, and probably more effective for keeping the pipes warm. If it's for warmth and it sounds like you're really just insulating an interior basement area to another insulated first floor.

Yes, you should wear full gloves when handling fiberglass, and a basic respiratory mask so you're not breathing in. You'll want to keep any pets and children away from handling the stuff too.

Is the space between the drop and actual ceiling framed out, 16" widths? Because from what I was told you want to face the paper backing towards the moisture, so you probably want to have the paper backing facing down, towards the basement. And if it's framed 16" on center, you can staple the fiberglass bats to the framing material to form a better seal, otherwise, not sure what the standard method to insulated the floor without any way of holding it up... that is beyond my basic knowledge!

Another option is to rent one of those spray foam machines and buy the foam chunks from HD/Lowes. it's probably better at both sound and heat but perhaps a little more pricey...

Jay

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jay,

Thank you for this response.

It's purely for sound absorption. Want to prevent sound from leaking a floor up.

Maybe I can have someone come in and spray foam in the space above the drop ceiling grids -- but I need to make certain it is sound barrier foam.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
Jay,

Thank you for this response.

It's purely for sound absorption. Want to prevent sound from leaking a floor up.

Maybe I can have someone come in and spray foam in the space above the drop ceiling grids -- but I need to make certain it is sound barrier foam.
DynaMat

Same stuff used in cars...or similar.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
if it's just for sound absorbing reasons, they do make sound barrier specific baffles and material, but not sure if it's cheaper than fiberglass insulation. you can google it. It would certainly be easier to install or perhaps better if you're worried about insulation in an open area. Usually the fiberglass stuff would be used behind sheetrock or perhaps in roof crawlspaces and attics, not necessarily in living spaces, even if it is behind a drop ceiling. The idea is you prob dont want to be breathing in the fiberglass dust...

I would think you're better off using some kind of sound barrier rather than fiberglass insulation if the only reason is for soundproofing..

My 2 cents anyway...

If you have a cold floor above, then perhaps the spray foam would be a good idea...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.