What's new

Lord of the Flies (1990) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
51Iwe5iuzxL.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Stick with the original. This one's tepid by comparison, probably to make it more family-friendly.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Every time I watch my DVDs of ALF I think of this film. (isn't that the only line that actually dates it?) I quite like it. good remake. But dont take my glasses away! The original is the best! A blu set of both would be an amazing thing.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I remember seeing this in theatres. I had studied the book in high school English, and our teacher had shown us the Black and White Peter Brook film. I gained greater respect for the original after seeing this version. Some of Harry Hook's choices in deviating from the book are "interesting"....

Like the choice to drop a massive boulder on Piggy's head rather than being forced off a cliff. The end result is cartoonish by comparison.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The thing about remakes in general is, if you can't bring something really new and innovative to the table and improve upon the original, don't remake it! Simple as that. Yeah, I know, all these studios and directors think they can make their version better, but only in very few cases have they actually done so. Can't they just tackle something original??? Not anymore...imagination in film (and in society in general) has pretty much devolved into texting and tweeting, making me sorta glad I probably won't be around in twenty years to see what other good human qualities have vanished.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I could go on and on about how the remake gets everything wrong, but I don't like being "that" person. The performances of the kids generally are better in the remake, but the biggest problem with the remake is that it was an attempt at modernising the narrative. Lord of the Flies, while allegorical, is something very much of its time and place. To make the changes that Hook made with the remake fundamentally alters the film to the point that the allegory no longer works. It's like the double-edged sword of modernising Shakespeare, which really only works when the filmmaker either takes it completely out of time (Romeo + Juliet, Titus) or ties it to a historical event that has connections to the events in the play (Richard III).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks