What's new

Snow Day (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's a snow day in DC and NoVA. I'm off work and enjoying an unplanned relaxing morning (fortunately ahead of hours this pay period so I won't burn vacation time for it).

How are faring this possibly snowy, winter-blasty day?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Not any snow here in Michigan -- just bitter cold temperatures. The outside thermometer on my car read -13F yesterday morning on my drive to work. This morning felt like a heat wave at +1F. :lol:

Our big snow day was on Super Bowl Sunday into Monday morning a couple of weeks ago. We ended up with 16 inches of snowfall. I worked from home that Monday.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I too am enjoying a day home instead of at the office. My employer is very flexible when it comes to bad weather - we always get the option of liberal leave or work from home, which I usually go about half and half in these situations. Not sure about today - may just enjoy the time off. By noon I'm sure it would be zero safety hazard to go in but since my commute tends to be just under an hour I just don't see an upside to trying.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
Not any snow here in Michigan -- just bitter cold temperatures. The outside thermometer on my car read -13F yesterday morning on my drive to work. This morning felt like a heat wave at +1F. :lol:

Our big snow day was on Super Bowl Sunday into Monday morning a couple of weeks ago. We ended up with 16 inches of snowfall. I worked from home that Monday.
We only got 6-7 inches up here in mid-Michigan. It's been a cold winter without much snow accumulations so far.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Earlier today, VisitIthaca,com had a popup saying "we give up!" and with links to the Florida Keys. :)

78 and sunny here. And 10 years since the last major hurricane! :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
We only got 6-7 inches up here in mid-Michigan. It's been a cold winter without much snow accumulations so far.

Yes, it seems like the past two winters have seen a turn of events and we have been getting more snow in SE Michigan while northern MI has been below average. My parents live in Roscommon, which is probably north of you, Robert. They did not get any snow when we got hit on SB Sunday. We also got another 5-6 inches early Saturday last weekend.

My snow blower sure has received a nice workout the past two winters after hardly getting used at all the previous two.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
17061769-mmmain.jpg

We are looking at two weeks of below-zero weather in my neck of the woods. Chance for 20-below Monday night...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This weather still doesn't make any sense. The historic average high temp for Boise this day is 46* F. Today it got up to 59* F on my back patio - on the north side of the house. That's warmer than the projected high tomorrow of 57* F in Orlando FL.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I drove the F250 to work the last couple days.

-3 when I left yesterday. +1 tonight.

Since it is a PowerStroke...

I left a low lying fog...

Mine starts reliably to -15, without resorting to the engine block heater.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
schan1269 said:
I drove the F250 to work the last couple days.

-3 when I left yesterday. +1 tonight.

Since it is a PowerStroke...

I left a low lying fog...

Mine starts reliably to -15, without resorting to the engine block heater.

That's a heat wave compared to here this morning. My car registered an outside temp of -18F on my morning commute. That's the lowest I've seen in the four years I've owned the vehicle. It's gone as high as 106F, too.

A co-worker who lives further away and gets in earlier had his truck register at -26F.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Weather predictions are dire. I hear ice rain hitting my window. DC is closed. But my local snow line says the office is open. Huh. Guess I better get moving...

Beedle-boop, a new text just came in:
as of 5 March 2015, at 0600 AM EST. Due to a snow line outage this message is to inform you that the ... area facilities are CLOSED.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn't even bother looking outside this morning. The local schools are closed and my son's classed at college have been cancelled. I just grabbed my laptop and headed downstairs to my office.

Since I can work from home I don't get snow days any more. :angry:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can't work at home. I could go into my actual employer's building for a telecom (I want to). But there's steady snow, with 5-7" predicted by this evening. Winter Storm Advisories, and traffic cams show the roads mostly empty. So I'm being safe and staying home.

After many years in Rochester, NY, it's offensive in a moral, Garrison Keillor type way, to be stymied by a bit of snow.

But I'm in the D.C. region, which is unequipped for snow.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DaveF said:
After many years in Rochester, NY, it's offensive in a moral, Garrison Keillor type way, to be stymied by a bit of snow.

Yes, those of us in northern New England chuckle derisively and shake our heads at reports of major cities being shut down for a couple inches of snow. Up here, that's called Tuesday. :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I live in PA and if we got half the amount of snow that New England has gotten this year, the state government would just declare the entire state closed until spring time. They apparently aren't interested in salting or plowing in any effective way so anything more than 3 inches of snow is nearly a doomsday scenario.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm trying to figure out how we've (the entire Lake Michigan area) managed to only get 1 day of road closures.

Typically we get 1/2 to 2/3 whatever Buffalo gets. We've barely gotten 10%.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hey Sam, I will be in Chicago the first week of May. I'm staying at the Sheraton just off Lake Shore Drive. Are you familiar with the area? Any recommendations on places to eat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks