Real Name
Pike Bishop
Crimson Peak 3.jpg

Crimson Peak 1.jpg

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Was treated to a screening of Guillermo Del Toro’s new movie, Crimson Peak, this weekend. Gorgeous and just f–king terrifying. It electrified me in the same way Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead electrified me when I saw it back in the day. -Stephen King

Pretty solid endorsement there I'd say.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I like good horror movies and this looks good. I hope there is no CG ghosts in it because CG ghosts or monsters are never ever scary or good for a horror movie. They are good for fantasy but not horror.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Mad Max and this in the same year. Wow!

Does Guillermo translate to gorgeous? Haven't been this excited for a del Toro since Pan's Labryinth.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Apparently Crimson Peak is under a review embargo and here it is the Monday of its release week. Not a good sign.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
All media screenings of the film are tonight, after which the embargo ends. That's a pretty typical scenario.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Typical when the studio doesn't have much confidence in the film. Bridge of Spies, for example, has seen published reviews from major critics for almost 10 days now. If the studio thinks the movie has legs then they try to build as much advance buzz as possible and Universal has not done that with Crimson Peak.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
dpippel said:
Typical when the studio doesn't have much confidence in the film. Bridge of Spies, for example, has seen published reviews from major critics for almost 10 days now. If the studio thinks the movie has legs then they try to build as much advance buzz as possible and Universal has not done that with Crimson Peak.
Bridge of Spies debuted at the NY Film Festival the Sunday before last, so reviews from major critics were obligatory. The only time studios can be said to have no confidence in a movie is when it doesn't press screen, or screens past Friday issue deadlines--and even then they're at least hopeful for decent coin at the boxoffice for a weekend, minus reviews.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This looks visually very interesting and I've liked all of Del Toro's movies that I've seen. I'll definitely check his one out when it hits the discount Theatres. Just because Studios don't have confidence in the movie, doesn't automatically mean it's awful.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Entertainment Weekly gives it a grade of "B-". The first paragraph of their review, tagged in case some don't want to see it:

A loving throwback to Roger Corman’s Edgar Allan Poe movies and Hammer’s gothic chillers from the ‘60s, Crimson Peak is a cobwebs-and-candelabras chamber piece that’s so preoccupied with being visually stunning it forgets to be scary. Directed by Guillermo del Toro, the Mexican maestro of moody mayhem, the film runs on atmosphere and suggestion rather than terror. Which is a not-insignificant problem for a ghost story.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Roger Ebert's site just gave it four stars.

I thought the trailers looked horrible but I'll probably catch it in the second week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks