What's new

Taking a standard light switch and turning it into remote controlled dimmer? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
info-horizontal-toggle-switch-plates.jpg

This is the exact dual light switch plate that controls my cellar and basement.

The first switch, on the left, controls the divided half that contains the water heater, furnace, etc.

It's the second switch, on the right that controls the lighting in the larger part of the basement where my home theater will reside.

It's a simple on and off switch. It controls two large drop ceiling lights.

I want to turn that switch into a dimmer that can be remote controlled by an app and is compatible with the Logitech Harmony remote controls.

Nothing hugely expensive. Must be simple to install, as I know nothing about doing this kind of work (other than turning off the power before I do it).

Any suggestions?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Maestro_ecodim_medTH.jpg

Seems like Lutron makes compatible IR remotes for use with Harmony remotes. The thing is -- not knowing anything about these things --- how do you install one of these for a dual light controlled switch as above? Can I simply install two of these dimmers side-by-side individually controlling each room? I don't really need to dim the cellar, but I can't see having a flip switch and a dimmer on the same plate -- or -- can that be done?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Are your ceiling lights standard fluorescent tubes? If so, dimming them is most likely not possible.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yikes, Peter. They are U-shaped fluorescents.

Perhaps I need to buy LED lighting to put on the inside edges of the screen to provide enough light prior to showtime

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would probably be simpler/easier to install lighting near the floor. They have to take up the baseboards anyway, add in LED light strings before the baseboards go back in.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Led rope lights don't work with Lutron IR dimmer switches. They are either on, or off. If you plan to use rope lights with a Lutron dimmer, you need to use incandescent ones.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, I am sort of looking into skipping the Lutron dimmer switches.

If I can buy IR strip lighting and then program it to my Harmony Remote, that might work.

I saw some Google links where people were able to accomplish that task.

Baseboard lighting sounds cool. I wonder if I can pull the baseboard out just slight enough to slip the lighting strips in there.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Ronald Epstein said:
Actually, I am sort of looking into skipping the Lutron dimmer switches.

If I can buy IR strip lighting and then program it to my Harmony Remote, that might work.

I saw some Google links where people were able to accomplish that task.

Baseboard lighting sounds cool. I wonder if I can pull the baseboard out just slight enough to slip the lighting strips in there.

You could also raise the baseboard slightly and put rope light below. Easier if you haven't put in the baseboard yet.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Can't recommend Lutron enough Ron. I own the GrafikEye, with that I can control certain banks of lights in my theatre, have them dim over a certain period of time etc -- creates a great cinematic ambience. I gave three presets on my Harmony 1.) Entrance (lights on full) 2.) Audience Seated (dims back lights, door lights etc and creates a nice effect on the screen) 3.) Pre-Show 4.) Post-Show (door lights on low and library room lights on full for audience exit).

I had an electrician install mine

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Dale.

For now, because my main lights are fluorescents that cannot be dimmed, I am going to go with LED ambient lighting.

However, at some point, I will get an electrician to install lighting that can be dimmed.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No clue about Harmony remote compatibility but I 10000% endorse Lutron remote dimmables. I have the little pedestal remote, installed my own in a 3 way setup, and it works great!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Sam Posten said:
No clue about Harmony remote compatibility but I 10000% endorse Lutron remote dimmables. I have the little pedestal remote, installed my own in a 3 way setup, and it works great!

I have two banks of overhead lights - one controlled via standard single-pole switch; the other via a three-way switch. Do you know if I can use a remote-controlled Lutron to replace each and use a single remote? And does Lutron have an iPhone app? I'm currently using TCP connected bulbs and app and while they work ok, they haven't updated their app in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks