What's new

Kingsman: The Secret Service (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Wow, how could there not already be a topic on this movie??

Opens tonight/tomorrow. Reviews are pretty darn decent (currently 74% at RT). Jeremy Jahns loved it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVEOk9Nw9rg&spfreload=10

Previous engagements will prevent me from seeing it until early next week.

Mark

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm seeing it tomorrow night. I think it looks really cool and I'm looking forward to it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My son has been waiting for this movie to come out. We are going Sunday morning.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got back from my showing. A fun film as I laughed my butt off throughout the gratuitous violence and punch lines during my showing. My only problem with it, I wish I could activate sub titles as there were too many spoken lines I couldn't quite understand with those Brit accents. :)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
My wife and I saw this today and we enjoyed it very much! The action and SFX were spot-on, the story was compelling, the spoofing of James Bond was funny, the tongue was firmly in cheek, and the actors and actresses hit their marks. SLJ and Colin Firth were very good in their rolls, as was the new kid who starred. And, while there was a little too much actiony craziness at the end, it was just a *little* too much.

This was a very appealing Marvel-based film. Hope it doesn't get washed away by the 50 Shades tidal wave.

75/100

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The film was a little long, but it's ludicrously violent at times, and has a lot of fun with carnage and mayhem in an entertaining way. They got a lot of mileage with their R rating. The film has Matthew Vaughn's style stamped all over it.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought this was lots of fun.

The scene in the church was insane.

Loved their take on the hero rescuing the princess! ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mark Booth said:
Wow, how could there not already be a topic on this movie??

Opens tonight/tomorrow. Reviews are pretty darn decent (currently 74% at RT). Jeremy Jahns loved it:

Previous engagements will prevent me from seeing it until early next week.

Mark
This came out of nowhere, for me. Saw a preview before Moulin Rouge Sing-Along (because: Alamo). It looked a mixture of February dumping-ground and potentially way fun. My wife was intrigued, too. So, it's on the list of possibles.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Saw tonight. Over the top humor and violence.

A little bit of Samuel L Jackson as a bad guy goes a long way... This had a LOT of Samuel L Jackson as the bad guy.

The only thing I didn't like was

the final test to become a Kingsman. I don't see how they can demand teamwork and loyalty and then ask you to shoot the dog you raised. I thought for sure refusing to shoot the dog would be the key to passing the test.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Greg Kettell said:
Saw tonight. Over the top humor and violence.

The only thing I didn't like was

the final test to become a Kingsman. I don't see how they can demand teamwork and loyalty and then ask you to shoot the dog you raised. I thought for sure refusing to shoot the dog would be the key to passing the test.
I agree, Greg.
The point of raising the dog was to learn teamwork.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Very entertaining movie. The action choreography was well done and most of the humor hit the mark with me. I'll probably see this again soon.

I agree with Greg's take on his spoiler tagged comment.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this. It was simultaneously a gleeful sendup of and loving tribute to "The Avengers" TV series and the pre-Dalton Bond films.

It seemed strange that Fox was putting this up against the 50 Shades of Gray juggernaut, but it appears to have been savvy counterprogramming; while it fell well short of that film's $81 million opening, it still made a much healthier than expected $35.6 million and will likely top $40 million with Monday's holiday factored in. And since Matthew Vaughn knows how to make blockbusters on a budget, this one should have no problem making back its $81 million cost. With the international box office factored in, it's less than $2 million away already.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Enjoyed it very much. Better than a lot of the Bond films including Skyfall for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Was I the only one laughing
during the exploding heads sequence near the end of the film?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Robert Crawford said:
Was I the only one laughing
during the exploding heads sequence near the end of the film?

I laughed my butt off. The church sequence alone, was worth the price of admission.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks