What's new

Rio Bravo (1959) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

91VlISctCWL._SL1500_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I imagine this is just a reissue of the first transfer simply because it went out of print in the US a while back?

By the way Ron, the Amazon link you've provided is for Cahill: US Marshall.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Link is fixed. Thanks.

Not certain I am going to order the entire John Wayne set...

...but I take it Rio Bravo is the one I should order as a single?

I already have THE SEARCHERS

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Link is fixed. Thanks.

Not certain I am going to order the entire John Wayne set...

...but I take it Rio Bravo is the one I should order as a single?

I already have THE SEARCHERS
Ron,

Rio Bravo and Fort Apache are must owns.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
Ron,

Rio Bravo and Fort Apache are must owns.

So, you recommend foregoing the Western set in favor of just these two?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Not exactly, as you might enjoy Train Robbers and Cahill US Marshal. Personally, I'm not a fan of the latter, but I do like the former. More so because of the female lead in it. :P

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Ron

Ronald Epstein said:
Ron, let me add my 2 cents (for what it's worth). Rio Bravo is quintessential Hawks/Wayne, the precursor to both El Dorado and Rio Lobo, both of which were directed by Hawks and both of which offer derivations of Rio Bravo's plot. Fort Apache is quintessentional Ford/Wayne, part of Ford and Wayne's "cavalry" trilogy with She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande. All must-owns if you don't already (sadly, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is not on BD yet, come on Warners, but Rio Grande is out on BD from Olive).

Both The Train Robbers and Cahill US Marshal are lesser Wayne's but Wayne's nonetheless.

TTR is great fun, with a great cast including Rod Taylor, Ben Johnson, Ricardo Montalban, and the aforementioned Ms. Margret (who "sticks out in all the right places" if I remember the line correctly).

CUSM is probably my least favorite film of JW's 60's and 70's output. The plot focuses (at least for the first half or so) more on his sons that it does on Wayne's character and it just has never involved me the way his other films did. It just seemed slapped together to me.

I saw both of these in the theater when they were released. As a Wayne completist, I have to have them both.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Train Robbers and Cahill are lesser movies but very fun especially if you are a Wayne fan. You could certainly watch a lot worse westerns.

The Searchers, Fort Apache and Rio Bravo are classic Westerns.

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
I'm curious to see if WB made any upgrade in the audio department seeing how the original release was lossy DD Mono.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
atfree said:
I saw both of these in the theater when they were released. As a Wayne completist, I have to have them both.
I viewed both films for the first time in a movie theater too and I'm a John Wayne completest. However, Ron isn't one, though, he loves some of Wayne's films, but not all of them like McClintock!. IMO, I don't think he'll like Cahill, U.S. Marshal. It's a mediocre film at best.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
From WAC Facebook: We can clarify this issue now for you. The latest restoration was indeed what was created for the first Blu-ray, and that restoration was sourced for the DCP that has been seen at various film festivals and screenings, etc. The blu-ray reissue later this year will come from that same source restoration, but we have confirmed that it will have DTS audio. We hope this information is helpful to you. Thanks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With all this discussion about the Hawks' variations, I took Rio Bravo out and watched it tonight. I watched it when I first bought it which was three HDTVs ago, so my set-up now is the best one I've had to watch it on.

Sadly, while the movie is sharp, I really wish they had redone the transfer and thought about adding some blue back in the color timing. It seems too brown especially in the first half. There are a few sequences where it seems to have the blue it's lacking earlier on, but I wish the whole thing would have been done over.

The film itself, of course, is great - very funny, very exciting, and easy to get swept up in the tension of the story.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Matt Hough said:
With all this discussion about the Hawks' variations, I took Rio Bravo out and watched it tonight. I watched it when I first bought it which was three HDTVs ago, so my set-up now is the best one I've had to watch it on.

Sadly, while the movie is sharp, I really wish they had redone the transfer and thought about adding some blue back in the color timing. It seems too brown especially in the first half. There are a few sequences where it seems to have the blue it's lacking earlier on, but I wish the whole thing would have been done over.

The film itself, of course, is great - very funny, very exciting, and easy to get swept up in the tension of the story.

I'd swear there were a series of contentious threads, started by the same member (or former member), covering this title plus The Searchers, in which the (main) accusation was that everything was too yellow.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I think the posts eventually escalated to include the accusation that (paraphrasing) " ... Ned Price put too much yellow in everything ..." (as if Ned Price would have done it personally ;)).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It's been awhile since I have watched the Rio Bravo Blu-ray (also had the HDDVD). My complaint was that the color seemed too intense, like someone set a dial and turned it up too much. I usually have to turn my color back a bit to watch this.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Matt Hough said:

The awful, dark color timing and heavy thick grain structure on Rio Bravo makes it unwatchable to me. This looks nothing whatsoever like original IB Tech prints from first release in which reds glowed (Wayne's trademark red denim shirt), now all brown and the image generally is far too heavy with excessive black level and poor contrast.

It and The Searchers both desperately need remastering from original elements with or without the input of Ned Price.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
david hare said:
The awful, dark color timing and heavy thick grain structure on Rio Bravo makes it unwatchable to me. This looks nothing whatsoever like original IB Tech prints from first release in which reds glowed (Wayne's trademark red denim shirt), now all brown and the image generally is far too heavy with excessive black level and poor contrast.

It and The Searchers both desperately need remastering from original elements with or without the input of Ned Price.
Completely agree with this. Rio Bravo was one of the worst HD transfers I have ever seen. Hard to believe Warner is just going to re-release the same awful BD once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks