What's new

Three Stooges features coming to Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Mill Creek Entertainment will release two volumes of Three Stooges feature films on Blu-Ray on April 21.

Volume one will have TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941), ROCKIN IN THE ROCKIES (1945) and HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL (1959).

Volume two will have THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES (1962), THE THREE STOOGES GO AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAZE (1963) and THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965).

Each volume has a $14.98 SRP. There doesn't appear to be any special features on either volume.

All six films will be making their Blu-Ray debut.

Now only if Sony would release the 190 shorts and the solo shorts on Blu-Ray.....

image.jpg

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
This is fantastic news. I have "Three Stooges Meet Hercules" on DVD.
Now if they would commission West Wing Studios to do a colorization of these feature-length films...(yes I know, Brad the Classic Film Heretic).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
124956_front.jpg
124955_front.jpg

Now Available for Preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that they included 2 mediocre films were the Stooges don't have much to do: Rockin' in the Rockies and Time out for Rhythm and left out The Three Stooges in Orbit. The print quality on DVD was on par with the other 1960's films so I doubt it film elements. At any rate I will just get Volume 2.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Preordered! It seems like there's a Curly set and a Curly Joe set. There are still a couple titles with Fox (SOUP TO NUTS and SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES) and one outstanding Curly Joe title (THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT) along with the STOP! LOOK! AND LAUGH! compilation. Two of the Curly titles from the first set were only released on DVD as part of the "Three Stooges Ultimate Collection" box set.

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Please help me to understand the hoopla over this. I think I must have just about every 3 Stooges DVD and DVD set ever made. Since it is all in Black and White and standard definition at best how is putting this in blu ray format a big deal? How will it ever be any better than upconverted DVD? I am just not getting it. Even if the 3 Stooges could somehow be reshot doesn't that take away from how it was shot originally? I want a true restoration of the originals not a reproduction.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
macfan601 said:
Please help me to understand the hoopla over this. I think I must have just about every 3 Stooges DVD and DVD set ever made. Since it is all in Black and White and standard definition at best how is putting this in blu ray format a big deal? How will it ever be any better than unconverted DVD? I am just not getting it. Even if the 3 Stooges could somehow be reshot doesn't that take away from how it was shot originally? I want a true restoration of the originals not a reproduction.

The Stooges were shot on 35mm film with FAR more resolution than a DVD can hold. Have you never watched a black & white film on Blu-ray?

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
macfan601 said:
Please help me to understand the hoopla over this. I think I must have just about every 3 Stooges DVD and DVD set ever made. Since it is all in Black and White and standard definition at best how is putting this in blu ray format a big deal? How will it ever be any better than unconverted DVD? I am just not getting it. Even if the 3 Stooges could somehow be reshot doesn't that take away from how it was shot originally? I want a true restoration of the originals not a reproduction.
I don't really think there is that much hoopla over this and I'm guessing most Stooge fans are going to pass on buying it. I might be interested in having a look at the classic Curly shorts on Blu-ray to see if there is much improvement.

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Peter Apruzzese said:
The Stooges were shot on 35mm film with FAR more resolution than a DVD can hold. Have you never watched a black & white film on Blu-ray?

Yes, and maybe just my eyesight but I couldn't tell any difference. Then again I can only detect a minor difference between standard and high definition and can not see 3D at all.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
the-three-stooges-three-stooges-29236747-1024-768.jpg

"Curly" Howard seen just before his debilitating stroke in HALF WITS HOLIDAY (1947).

I like the first set the best because of the rarities TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941) and ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES (1945) the latter which is a bona fide Three Stooges feature film both previously available on DVD-R and a latter abortive "standard" DVD release.

Will this be any better with three films featured on a single bluray disc?

I am assuming that Mill Creek is simply "recycling" the identical video transfers utilized with its earlier "standard" DVD release for this upcoming bluray edition.

Weren't there "issues" with THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965) presented in an "abbreviated" form to fit (as part of three films crammed onto a single disc) in the previous "standard" DVD release? Will this be a problem here? Are these things being presented in their entirety?

I have all of the previous "standard" DVD editions. Are these "budget" blurays worth getting?

Thank you.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Bob Furmanek said:
Restored? No, those are horrible bootleg copies of the four public domain Stooge shorts crudely converted to "color" and in something closer to 2.1-D.

Stay FAR away!
The colorized shorts done by West Wing Studios (with Columbia's blessing) back in 2004 looked real nice (like they were filmed yesterday)......on my old 36" Sony WEGA CRT.

But when I put them up on my new bigger HDTVs' you can see the "artifacts" of the colorization. That and they are still DVDs.

Stooges_Goofs_on_the_Loose.jpg

ThreeStooges_StoogesOnTheRunColor.jpg

Stooges_Hapless_Half_Wits.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Those official colorized shorts are different than the public domain "3-D" release.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Bob Furmanek said:
Those official colorized shorts are different than the public domain "3-D" release.
True.

That and West Wing/Columbia only colorized what, 16 shorts.

I was so hoping that they'd colorize The Ghost Talks (1949) but so far, no dice.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
JeffT. said:
Will this be any better with three films featured on a single bluray disc?

I am assuming that Mill Creek is simply "recycling" the identical video transfers utilized with its earlier "standard" DVD release for this upcoming bluray edition.

Weren't there "issues" with THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965) presented in an "abbreviated" form to fit (as part of three films crammed onto a single disc) in the previous "standard" DVD release? Will this be a problem here? Are these things being presented in their entirety?

Assuming they use BD50s compression shouldn't be an issue, as ~270 mins of content should fit fine. In general, BD50s can fit up to five hours of HD content before compression issues should become an issue, as compared to DVD9s and four hours of content.

The question of source condition will not be answered until release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks