What's new

Pioneer VSX-824-K doesn't like my devices (1 Viewer)

siddartha

Auditioning
Real Name
Siddartha
My girlfriend recently bought me this receiver and coming off a Philips HTIB I'm quite impressed with this beast. That is, until I started connecting everything.

What I'm trying to connect to the receiver:

• Android media player
  • Blu-ray player
  • Full HD Windows 7 notebook

What the receiver is connecting to:

• A projector

Now the Blu-ray player is a Pioneer so that connects without a hitch.

I can't say the same about the other two devices. The Android player will connect for the briefest time. I can tell because the projector's onscreen display will first show "Searching for HDMI signal", then flash as if it wants to display the "Signal found message before flashing again to say "Signal not found".

The notebook, on the other hand, tries to connect, then goes into this endless screen flicker where the laptop screen goes blank, then shows the screen at full HD resolution, then blank, then 1024x768 resolution, and just continually cycles through these different screens for a second duration each.

Funny enough, I pull up my low-end Ubuntu notebook and it connects instantly and flawlessly with the receiver. Both the Windows notebook and Android media player have no problem connecting with the Philips receiver or directly to the projector.

I've tried these devices on different HDMI input ports on the Pioneer receiver to no avail. I've tried using different cable combination (including the one used for the Blu-ray player) and that doesn't work either. I've tried the "power off everything at the mains, then power them on one-by-one starting first with the TV, then the receiver, then the devices" suggestion made by several HDMI troubleshooting sites and nothing seems to work.

The Pioneer HDMI ports get along just fine with my Blu-ray player and Ubuntu notebook though, regardless of what cable I use.

I called Pioneer tech support and the only help that they provided was that I use brand-name cables such as "Monster". :lol:

So, what can I do? What options do I have? What is the problem exactly? I know if I take it in to Pioneer repair they will just say that there is nothing wrong, but I can't view my digital media or play games on my projector now.

Any advice? I'm stumped here!

siddartha

Auditioning
Real Name
Siddartha
So first the Android box and notebook, then the receiver, then the projector? I'll give that a try.

The Android box is a Xiaomi - I don't think they are available for sale in the US - at least, a search through Amazon.com yielded no results.

Edit: OK, did as you suggested - Turned on the Android box, then the receiver, then the projector - no signal.

I heard that on certain Onkyo models if you leave it on long enough eventually the signal kicks in (something to do with inadequate capacitors) so I went for dinner, then went back and checked - no signal.

Any other ideas? :mellow:

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
My Pioneer 1120 in the bedroom system is a but flakey too. I have a Harmony One Remote. Probably most of the time I use the Roku 3 box, then a bit less movies on the Oppo BDP-93, then sometimes music from the Oppo (the bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers) internet radio and sometimes TV from a set top box. For some reason, every time I use a source when I turn on the system the next time to a different source it starts up with the old source. I have an Epson 8350 projector in the bedroom. As soon as I hit 'Help' on the Harmony One the problem gets corrected, I use the same remote for the main system (Onkyo 1008, Oppo 103D, Epson 5030, Roku 3, same model of Samsung set top box, etv) and I never have that problem. I also have an old Harmony 880 in another system (Marantz SR 6003, Oppo 103D, Vizio TV, Roku 3, etc.) and never have a problem. I use use a HarmonyRemote (not sure if it is a 650 or 700) in the bonus/guest room with a Denon Receiver, Sony Blu-Ray Player, Marantz DV9600, Roku 3, Insignia TV, etc., and never have a problem.

The Pioneer does it (does not change source) every time in my bedroom set-up. I had the Pioneer in my old house for about a week in the basement system (replaced an old Marantz SR 7300 OSE) but did not like the way it sounded in a huge room (probably 700 sq feet) with my B&Ws and bought the Onkyo 1008 refurb (I had gotten a used Integra DTC 9.8 for movies for the main system just before that and was so impressed by it for home theater use that I bought the Onkyo) and then the Pioneer was delegated for use in the office system (mainly internet radio) with my Mobile Fidelity OML-1 speakers. I tried the Pioneer with the Mobile Fidelity Speakers in the bonus/guest room when I first moved into this house just over a year ago. It was a little too deep for the furniture I got (I'm hoping my old Marantz 6003 will work better when I upgrade another system and move it there) so I bought the Denon AVR-X1000 (which I am not super impressed with and probably will end up replacing my old Sony V444ES I have in the office system for the few times I use real speakers (but it will give me internet radio which I like to listen to). So I did not have the Pioneer in other systems long enough to figure out if there was a similar problem. I loved the Pioneer with my Mobile Fidelity Speakers (worlds better than the Denon with that combo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks