What's new

Ghost of Mars, who liked it? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I know there are past posts about this movie, in fact some of the posts that I read made me take back my unopened copy to get my money back. Well I finally broke down and rented it last night. And I have to say that I liked it. That is I liked laughing at what a piece of crap movie John Carpenter put out. Was he serious with this movie? I was thinking it would be something like Pitch Black slash Starship troopers type of film. Not even close. I really hated this film. Of movies I have seen, this has got to be on the top 10 list of all time worst movies! The plot was terrible, acting=terrible, special effects=terrible. Everything about the film was terrible. The buildings and props in the movie looked like spray painted cardboard boxes. I read one post that said it totally looked like a very small movie set. It did. It looked like it was filmed in someones basement. Space was a black screen behind the props. I don't want to give away any of the movie, but if you see it you won't care anyway. There is a part where Ice Cube is on a moving train and it was so evident that the train was not moving and that the screen behind it was. I have seen better special effects on a 2am USA sci-fi tv show. This movie looks like it was filmed in 1950. Anyway, it sucks, stay away!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm somewhat of fan of John Carpenter, but from all of the bad word-of-mouth this movie has gotten (particularly here), I held off on seeing this movie.

So Jeff, it's not even worth a rental? If it isn't, that's pretty bad.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is a complete "on Mars" remake of John Carpenter's first movie "Assault on Precinct 13".

It is astounding how alike they are... Even the music is similar.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Even the music is similar
No offense Neil, but I've always found the music in John Carpenter's movies to be similar. I suppose it's because he composes his own music, but he doesn't seem to have much range when it comes to doing so.

But that's just me and as usual, YMMV.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, just rent Assault instead. It's equally cheezy but a fun, early effort by JC so you can understand. It's so similar it's ridiculous, except Assult is actually better.

Ghost of Mars has dialog that pissed me off it was so poor.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Wow, I'm almost afraid to open my mouth now... :eek:
But I have to say I liked it. Some of the effects was indeed poor, and I think there was some unrealized potential in the story and set up. I think the main problem with this movie is Carpenter's problem in general - He sets up great situations and plots, but can't always finish them. It has become something I kind of expect from him though, and the kind of apolyptic ending here was not the first time Carpenter has pulled off such endings. But the thing I liked most I guess was that although unoriginal it felt very typical Carpenter, sort of return to his roots I guess :D I guess that may also be the main reason why I liked it, it felt like he was making movies his own way again. Originality is great but like the stupid and ignorant J6P I am I actually think sticking to a formula you know works out better than trying to break your own formula if you do not have a clear vision of how.
"Here we are now, entertain us"
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
No offense Neil, but I've always found the music in John Carpenter's movies to be similar. I suppose it's because he composes his own music, but he doesn't seem to have much range when it comes to doing so.
I must say, you have a point! He has about 10 working keys on his electric keyboard, but he sure knows how to use them :D

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
Not the greatest film ever made, but I still liked it.
Natasha, for once, doesn't get naked. Guess i'll have to keep watching Species for that.
However, there is one scene with her in underware. She does fill it out better than Sigouney Weaver did in Alien.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Wow, there are more of you out there who actually liked this film than I thought. I just can't get over the absolute horrendous special effects. I think anything like that is unexceptable with todays movies. And the acting was horrible. The only 2 people I liked was Ice Cube and that guy from Snatch. I tried to say to myself before I even watched the movie that it was going to be pretty cheesy but JC really went above my expectations for that. I enjoy cheesy sci-fi films such as Mission to Mars, Lost In Space and Starship Troopers but this one was not worth the 98 min I spent on it. And to answer your question Tom, NO! It's not worth the rental IMO. To let you know how how bad my opinion is of this movie I had a coupon for rent one get one free, Ghost of Mars was the free rental and I am still pissed I waisted it on that. One other note about the movie, I really did enjoy the Natasha underwear scene! :) That was the best part of the movie.

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it rocked. For those of you who did not like the soundtrack, I don't know why. I thought Anthrax and Buckethead did a spectacular job under the helm of Carpenter. Long live Desolation.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was getting ready for the bad guys to stop in the middle of the movie and sing a couple of rock songs themself.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I am a John Carpenter fan, though I can't really quantify why. After hearing all the bad press about it, I asked for it for Christmas in the hopes that I would get it and therefore not have to actually PAY for it. My plan worked, I watched it, and yes it is a bad movie. Very bad. All the above points are right: the sets and effects are substandard and the acting is worse. These reasons, however, are no reason NOT to enjoy a John Carpenter film. :)
However, Ghosts of Mars seemed to me to be lacking that enigmatic something that I love John Carpenter movies for. I wasn't disappointed about it being a bad movie, I was more disappointed about it not seeming like a John Carpenter film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks