What's new

International Fox Laurel & Hardy Blus (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just bought a passel of 20th Century Fox Laurel and Hardy films on blu-ray from a third party seller at Amazon.co.uk. Dancing Masters, Jitterbugs, The Bullfighters, Big Noise, etc. Admittedly, these aren't the best films by the boys, but I am still looking forward to seeing them projected on the big screen. The best thing is the third party seller would ship to the US, and the cost with shipping for each film came out to about $15. That's my sweet spot.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Are these PAL or all region Blu-rays ? Have you had a chance to watch them - if so, how's the quality? While not up to their best work , I think the Boy's Fox films aren't bad at all.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The quality is funky. There's strange artifacts. But they're HD and the film elements are good. Better than DVD at least. Not terribly expensive if you buy them all together and ship in one package.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Fox DVDs all looked good although Fox messed up and used a 16mm master for one of the titles instead of the 35mm master. It still looks ok, just not as sharp as the others.

I would welcome stateside Blus if offered by Fox or one of their partners, but am realistic that it probably won't happen.

Thanks for the report on the imports. If there are artifacts, I'll pass. My perspective is that I'd rather have a solid DVD than a wonky Blu.

mark-edk

Second Unit
L&H Fox films are often derided ('The Big Noise' made one of those worst-films-ever books, unfairly I think) but I enjoy them, though not as much as the Roach productions which are the ones I grew up watching over and over. 'L&H: From the 40s Forward' by Scott MacGillivray is an excellent re-appraisal of these films.

Speaking of the Roach productions, I see on iTunes HD versions of many (probably most, perhaps all) of the sound titles: shorts are $2.99 to buy, features are $9.99 buy/$2.99 rent. I looked at a couple of the preview snippets they offer; a little dark to my eyes but otherwise the def seems high. I'm not that into buying downloads but if they come up with a specially priced bundle I could talk myself into it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The Fox DVDs all looked good although Fox messed up and used a 16mm master for one of the titles instead of the 35mm master. It still looks ok, just not as sharp as the others.

I would welcome stateside Blus if offered by Fox or one of their partners, but am realistic that it probably won't happen.

Thanks for the report on the imports. If there are artifacts, I'll pass. My perspective is that I'd rather have a solid DVD than a wonky Blu.
It would be great if Fox here in the USA released a box set of all 6 of their Laurel And Hardy Films , correcting that 16 mm transfer in the process.
I'd also be interested in a similar Blu-ray box set of the 4 non - Roach MGM films : Devil's Brother , Bonnie Scotland , Nothing But Trouble , and Air Raid Wardens , and naturally the classic Hal Roach films as in The Essential L&H set .
If any of this happened it would be nice !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks