What's new

New Spider-Man joining Marvel Cinematic Universe (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sony Pictures Entertainment Brings Marvel Studios Into The Amazing World Of Spider-Man

New Spider-Man Will Appear First in an Upcoming Marvel Film Within Marvel’s Cinematic Universe

The deal essentially integrates the characters Sony controls into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Movies predominantly featuring Marvel-held characters will be owned and distributed by Marvel. Movies predominantly featuring Sony-held characters will be owned by Sony and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The Sony-owned films will be a co-production between Sony and Marvel.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Pretty cool. Everyone wins except Garfield. Too bad as I thought he did an excellent job as Parker/Spidey.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Although, as everyone was quick to point out about the first Garfield film....we need one more solo film about as much as we need one more Superman origin.

The solo film is treated as a "trophy" to establish the importance of the deal, but we know it's symbolic as much as they do, get on with it--If there was some way Marvel could "fix" both versions (Raimi's canon-faithfulness with Garfield's Spider-snark), they should just take it for granted that we know everything up to this point and go from there.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpg

I think this is GREAT news! Spidey belongs in the MCU, and he's finally coming home.

I'm so glad to hear that Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures have finally announced what has been rumored for the last few months!

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

The basics are:

- The new Spider-Man will first appear in one of Marvel's Phase 3 films

- A new Spider-Man solo film will hit in July 2017 (this is an MCU re-boot, not The Amazing Spider-Man 3)

- Marvel and Sony are considering options to include some MCU characters in future Spider-Man films.

image.jpg

The word was that Marvel wanted to use Spidey in Captain America: Civil War, but they weren't able to reach a deal soon enough and Marvel moved forward with the script without Spider-Man, instead focusing on Black Panther.

Then the rumor was that Marvel was hoping to reach a deal and include Spidey in Infinity War.

Based on the announcement that Spidey will appear in an MCU film followed by a solo film in July 2017, maybe Marvel's plans are fluid enough to work Spidey back into Civil War? That seems to make the most sense considering the likely plot and subject matter of the film.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I'm still waiting for Spider-Man 4 with Raimi/McGuire/Dunst. :(

Seriously though, the trailer is gonna have to rock my world to get me in the theater. The fact that this will officially be in the Marvel universe means squat to me. I liked the first Iron Man and the first Thor, but really don't see the hoopla about the rest. Especially Guardians of the Galaxy, which put me to sleep.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Pardon me for a dumb question, but is Marvel studios part of Paramount pictures?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were great in The Amazing Spider-Man films. It's too bad that Sony's Producers meddled so much that the films lost their focus.

Andrew had this to say last year:

“It’s interesting. I read a lot of the reactions from people and I had to stop because I could feel I was getting away from how I actually felt about it. For me, I read the script that Alex [Kurtzman] and Bob [Orci] wrote, and I genuinely loved it. There was this thread running through it. I think what happened was, through the pre-production, production, and post-production, when you have something that works as a whole, and then you start removing portions of it—because there was even more of it than was in the final cut, and everything was related. Once you start removing things and saying, “No, that doesn’t work,” then the thread is broken, and it’s hard to go with the flow of the story. Certain people at the studio had problems with certain parts of it, and ultimately the studio is the final say in those movies because they’re the tentpoles, so you have to answer to those people.”
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had some good stuff, primarily when the focus was on Peter and Gwen (and Spidey). But they really tripped up with the villains. They crammed too much in, and tried too hard to set up their own Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, and the movie suffered for it. They tried so hard to set up future films that they killed those future films (at least in "The Amazing" franchise).

Hopefully Sony's collaboration with Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios will bring the focus back to what to should be in a Spider-Man movie. Let's see the main focus be on Peter trying to juggle being a hero with his personal responsibilities. Let's have some romance, but not let it be the main focus of the film.

I think the influence of Avi Arad dragged down The Amazing Spider-Man films (just as his pushing of Venom in Rami's Spider-Man 3 hurt that film). Hopefully he won't be involved with the new Spider-Man. I believe Fiege isn't too fond of Arad, so hopefully he is out.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Bryan^H said:
Pardon me for a dumb question, but is Marvel studios part of Paramount pictures?
No. Marvel Studios is Marvel Studios. It is it's own movie studio started up by Marvel and now owned by Disney.

In its early days, Marvel had a distribution deal with Paramount (expect for The Incredible Hulk for which Universal had the distribution rights).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
joshEH said:
So Sinister Six is officially dead, now, right? I feel bad for the guy who left Daredevil to do it.

Great news, though! The Aunt May movie is STILL on! YES!!!!!
Ha! No joke. Crazy that there was a rumor about an Aunt May movie that Sony, of course, denied. But the e-mail leaks from the hack revealed that this WAS something that Sony had actually considered, along with many other terrible ideas. They really lost their way with Spidey and were desperate to create a whole spin-off movie universe from one comic book property.

Yeah, things didn't work out so well for Drew Goddard. But who knows, maybe he'll be in consideration for helming the new Spider-Man solo movie which would ultimately be a win for him?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ejanss said:
The solo film is treated as a "trophy" to establish the importance of the deal, but we know it's symbolic as much as they do, get on with it--If there was some way Marvel could "fix" both versions (Raimi's canon-faithfulness with Garfield's Spider-snark), they should just take it for granted that we know everything up to this point and go from there.
Not sure I follow. Why wouldn't a solo film be important? It's cool that Spidey will be part of the Universe he belongs in and will pop up in the big MCU films, but Spidey still demands his own solo films. While he can be involved with teams like The Avengers he is ultimately a solo hero.

If you're saying they shouldn't do another origin story, I think it is a good possibility that it won't be. The new version will already have his first appearance in the MCU before the solo film. So I think they will either just do some flash backs to his "new" origin in the first solo, or do an opening credits montage type thing like what they did with The Incredible Hulk.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Of course, this news changes the release date plans for Marvel's Phase 3 films.

The new Spider-Man film is taking the "Thor: Ragnorak" spot.

Marvel’s “Thor: Ragnarok” will hit theaters November 3, 2017. The following year, Marvel’s “Black Panther” will make its way to theaters on July 6, 2018, and Marvel’s “Captain Marvel” on November 2, 2018. Finally, Marvel’s “Inhumans” will now debut in theaters July 12, 2019.

The previously announced dates for Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War Part 1” and “Avengers: Infinity War Part 2” on May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019, respectively, remain unchanged.

So Thor moves from July to November (Black Panther's spot). Black Panther moves to the following July, and so on. Infinity War stays put, but Inhumans will now play after Infinity War Part II.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Word is that it will indeed be "Captain America: Civil War" in which the new Spidey makes his debut.

Also, word is that Sinister Six isnt officially dead but that the project has to be re-worked. Perhaps they'll role something of that into the Spidey solo film?

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This is good news! I liked Garfield's Spidey but hated his Parker, he did have great chemistry with Emma Stone. The Amazing movies were hurt by redoing Spidey's origin so soon after the Raimi movies and all 3 villains in the sequel were awful, Schumacher bad. I liked McGuire's Parker but his Spidey was missing the wisecracks. Hopefully we'll get the nerdy Parker and the cool, wisecracking Spidey.

I like the suggestion of Logan Lerman as Pete, Pete is, was and always will be my Spider-man, don't know anything about Miles, but if he is used. I'll give him a chance.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Lou Sytsma said:
Pretty cool. Everyone wins except Garfield. Too bad as I thought he did an excellent job as Parker/Spidey.

I seriously thought you meant the lasagna-loving cat at first.

This is pretty huge. Marvel's under the most pressure they've been under yet to get this right.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sean Bryan said:
If you're saying they shouldn't do another origin story, I think it is a good possibility that it won't be. The new version will already have his first appearance in the MCU before the solo film. So I think they will either just do some flash backs to his "new" origin in the first solo, or do an opening credits montage type thing like what they did with The Incredible Hulk.

Incredible Hulk was an attempt to "fix" the Ang Lee movie, and took it for granted that we knew the story, at least from the 70's TV show. A sequel to the Ang Lee, albeit proceeding on the fan agreement that the Ang Lee didn't exist, and only getting permission from Universal's label to let Universal pretend they got a sequel after all.

This is an attempt to bring Spidey into the future group movies, so, yes, hopefully Marvel can do more taking for granted, although they should fix the Black Panther/Ms. Marvel mentality that EVERY SINGLE NEW PLOT POINT deserves a solo movie so that we'll know what they're talking about. (Not that Guardians was bad, or that Ant-Man looks bad either.) Yes, not every moviegoer is a studied comic-reader fan, but at this point it's so oversaturated that to do a solo for the sake of anal-retentivism is just movie clutter.

The problem is that it's not 100% Marvel's decision, it's part of the "peace treaty" that Sony wants a co-produced solo movie too, so, like Universal, they can believe it'll be half theirs, and they haven't really "lost the war" after all. Yes, you have, Amy, now get over it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
You cannot do most individual characters the same justice in an ensemble film that you can in a solo film. Ensemble films typically get a couple of characters that get good arcs and development, but the majority of characters tend to get much more streamlined parts. And that's ok, as long as is serves the experience of an entertaining big ensemble event picture.

But I think solo movies for most characters are just as important. Maybe not for characters like Hawkeye, but characters like Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Spider-Man damn well should have their own stories separate from (or loosely connected to) the larger team-up movies.

Anyway, I thought this Variery article gave a good summary of the history of this whole Spidey in the MCU development.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/why-sony-called-in-marvels-big-gun-to-reboot-spider-man-1201429540/

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
A third “Spider-Man” was moved to 2018, in order for Sony to launch films around the superhero’s villains in “Sinister Six” in 2016, and a spinoff film around another Spidey foe, Venom. Ideas were also kicked around to introduce a female set of heroes in their own films; one project even was conceived around Peter Parker’s Aunt May.

The "Aunt May movie" was leaked by a Latino Review rumor, otherwise known as the Tommy Flanagan of movie rumors. ("Yeahhh, and they're....thinking of doing a trilogy, too, that's it!")

They're just never going to kill this urban legend, because everything we see about Sony right now makes us want to believe it. :rolleyes:

(Or, y'know, maybe whoever reported on it just misheard the Ant-Man movie.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks