What's new

Greetings from the New Guy in MD (1 Viewer)

AC123

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan Cole
Hello All. Alan here, in a former farming community north of the DC capitol beltway. "Former", because most land owners sold to developers at premium prices because so many families like ours came here chasing work. We bought a house in such bad shape in '99 that it sat on the market for over three months at a time when most sold in three days with bidding wars. The purple trim is history except for some in the basement and our 17-year-old actress daughter has just over a year to enjoy cushy home life before heading into the wilds of academia. Younger daughter just starting high school might see 4K before she follows suit.

Refurbished 5030B and refurbished Furman F1000 UPS in transit, along with an IOGear wireless HDMI rig because Visual Apex decided to stop offering 5030UBe refurbs. Detecting a theme? Yep - I buy refurbished shiny new things from several years ago after the current shiny new things knock their prices down. Factory refurbs have done extremely well for me including a Planar IPS display and several digital camera bodies, and I hope to keep up the streak. They let me buy higher quality gear for just slightly above entry level money. No refurbbed hard drives, though. That's where I draw the line. They're bad enough new, and no way I'm going to buy someone else's return. This is our first projector, and I don't want to be wishing I'd spent another few hundred bucks after the first month.

Let's not forget about the horribly mismatched audio consisting of an Onkyo amp from the days when they just had two HDMI's in, some JBL L350 furniture for the fronts, a Cerwin Vega 3-driver 5" center and maybe some Mission 31I's for the rear. It's just what I have in service downstairs or lying around, and they'll probably sound just fine once I hook 'em up with some $10K cables!

We'll watch on the darkened basement's white wall for now while I decide on screen size and location. I'm sure I'll be on the horns of the current dilemma about curved vs. flat, whether the discount solid-curved-screen people have decent product, and whether to spend 2-3X for a curved screen for some extra "immersion" that seems to be the Buzzword Bingo term du jour. We'll be thrilled all over at the way the picture looks on a proper screen instead of white paint.

Shows for opening nights include the remastered - and reportedly much better - Final Countdown (Dad sailed on the Nimitz and gets to show his favorite to his girls), The Incredibles, and Ocean's 11 (Rat Pack version, of course) or Four for Texas (Mom's choice). And what opener would be complete without the equally classic Animal House, Caddy Shack and Holy Grail? Our actress needs to add those three to her mental repertoire because, well, "Knowledge is Good" ...Emil Faber

Thanks to God for the resources to cobble together a new entertainment experience for our family!

"So I got that goin' for me" ...Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks