50 shades... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Who is planning to?

I might, but will more than likely wait for the inevitable $10 BD. Everyone I know, that knows how this works, pans the book as if written by a person that has only read about it themselves.

The writers of Secretary, The Image, Pet, Black Snake Moan and Preaching to the Perverted didn't have that problem...

Side note...

AMC theatres apparently don't want this turning into The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
schan1269 said:
Side note...

AMC theatres apparently don't want this turning into The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Given how RHPS started in the first place, I think there's little danger of that here. ;)

But if you were trying to go for the general metaphor of audience lampooning/giggling outbreaks, I don't think it's going to be taken as seriously as other trendy bestsellers.

The "housewife" demographic for Shades, old enough to know better, is more likely to bury their guilty pleasure in public and admit they read and/or watch it for the trash, not like the diehard teenage demographic who attach their identity to support Twilight and Fault in Our Stars.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ejanss said:
Given how RHPS started in the first place, I think there's little danger of that here. ;)
But if you were trying to go for the general metaphor of audience lampooning/giggling outbreaks, I don't think it's going to be taken as seriously as other trendy bestsellers.
The "housewife" demographic for Shades, old enough to know better, is more likely to bury their guilty pleasure in public and admit they read and/or watch it for the trash, not like the diehard teenage demographic who attach their identity to support Twilight and Fault in Our Stars.
I was actually refering to press release from AMC...

Leave the costumes and props* at home. Anybody attempting to see this movie "dressed up" will be asked to leave. (shortened/paraphrased)

*Props? Really? They are called implements.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I have no intention of seeing this but it is worth noting that the lead - Jamie Dornan - was mesmerizing in the TV series The Fall with Gillian Anderson.

He was chilling as a serial killer who charmed and manipulated women. If Fifty Shades of Grey offers him the same type of material to work with, he will kill that role.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
schan1269 said:
I was actually refering to press release from AMC...
Leave the costumes and props* at home. Anybody attempting to see this movie "dressed up" will be asked to leave. (shortened/paraphrased)
*Props? Really? They are called implements.

Well, even so--Mommie Dearest, also a "controversial cult trash/smash bestseller adaptation" at the time that Paramount wanted to take with grave seriousness, also turned into a prop-dressup RHPS-giggle camp-fest (in both senses of the word), when the, ahem, same particular audience as RHPS and Sound of Music Sing-Alongs got a hold of it for easy pop-kitsch gag-button value.

50SoG is sort of 99% to that kitsch-giggle point yet in the pop culture (in its mainstream-image depictions of "kinks" that the author clearly never kinked), so it's within the realm of conceivable, and I agree with AMC, better safe than sorry. Still, I think we can guarantee some Razzie nominations, for a lot of reasons.

At least "Indecent Proposal" got off easy, with just a few gags on late-nite shows and Farrelly Bros. movies.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm going to watch it with the girlfriend. I'm so glad American females are catching up with what was in Europe forty-five years ago. I might even show my girlfriend a Jess Franco film afterwards.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I should say, though: Secretary is a very well written, strongly acted film with great performances. The characters are understandable and while you can disagree with their kink it is framed in a way that makes sense.

Meanwhile, 50 Shades features fantastical characters (billionaire playboys) and their pets in a relationship that changes on a dime in ridiculous ways.. you can't really understand where or why the parties get into or out of it, and the dialogue is terrible.

So, the two aren't comparable. I'd recommend "The Secretary" as a well done film; I haven't seen 50 Shades, but I seriously doubt it matches that bar

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
mattCR said:
I should say, though: Secretary is a very well written, strongly acted film with great performances. The characters are understandable and while you can disagree with their kink it is framed in a way that makes sense.

Meanwhile, 50 Shades features fantastical characters (billionaire playboys) and their pets in a relationship that changes on a dime in ridiculous ways.. you can't really understand where or why the parties get into or out of it, and the dialogue is terrible.
So, the two aren't comparable. I'd recommend "The Secretary" as a well done film; I haven't seen 50 Shades, but I seriously doubt it matches that bar
Most women I know...the line...

"Enlighten me"

Would have been...

"Bring it"

As for American women being behind European in this regard...

You aren't asking the right questions...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, if you want to read some funny shit...search

50 Shades Susie Bright

I've been trying to find a Susie review, not having any luck...but the stuff I am finding is hilarious...

Apparently e-readers are a boon for those into smut and "real books" on BDSM. (Different Loving, Wild Side Sex*...etc)

*Met the author and have, well...been mutually entertained...

The author and I first met 20 years ago. A woman I was dating was studying for a Masters. She knew of Midori and we met at a festival, of sorts. Zoom 10 more years, I had an advanced copy of that gf's book with a Midori foreward. We were both at a Chicago, uhm...festival. I asked her to sign my copy of the book(wasn't due to be published for another 6 months). We(her husband and my date...we hadn't been dating long) spent a lot of that weekend hanging out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
joshEH said:
If this turns out not to suck and Mortdecai did, life is unfair.
I just looked up Mortdecai. Had seen it written about many places. Not looked till now.

Noticed Lazar had a producing credit(name looked familiar as I refreshed my memory of Bound, from references of Jupiter Ascending). His only other turkey is Death to Smoochy.

Another movie nobody got...till a decade later.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So, I haven't read this or any of the Twilight books, but I know that this story began life as Twilight fan fiction. What's the connection?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Yeah, but next year, it's totally going to be snubbed at the Oscars--

And why, you ask?:

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks