Lost-City POSTER.jpg

COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Any info, who is in it, what's it about, links to IMDB?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks interesting. Didn't realize it was a true story until I listened to the clip. The look and title of the book's cover makes it look like a throwback to the pulp novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It is actually a very entertaining book if you have an interest. The film does look like it will be wonderful, from my biased point of view, as it combines so many elements that I think will make for great cinema. I love big outdoor adventure films and this one should be spectacular.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll see if I can find the book at my local bookshop or the library. Still prefer to read hard copies over e-reader versions. I find setting a down an e-reader version of a story much easier than a print copy for some reason.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I know what you mean, I still like the feel of a book in my hands.The texture and smell of a book seems to add something to the experience that holding a tablet just does not have. I can't adapt to the e-reading thing it seems.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think Charlie Hunnam with this film, playing King Arthur in Guy Ritchie's film, and then the McQueen part in the Papillon remake is being positioned as the next big leading man sort of guy. All he needs now is some rumors he is the next Bond.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Sounds exciting...

From the outset, this humid, deeply human movie, directed by James Gray, comes on like a classic adventure tale, one where a governmentally decorated go-getter seeks discovery, excitement, and a sterling reputation in an unknown land where his life is worth little more than a possible dinner for a hungry local tribe. And to his credit, Gray delivers that movie with all the ribbons and bows on it.

Still, Gray had intentions towards something bigger, something like a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster, which he hinted toward in the jump toward period detail in The Immigrant. The Lost City of Z is a glorious, ambitious feat of filmmaking...

One would hope on the evidence of this movie, this masterpiece, that Gray would have studios lining up to back whatever his next movie might be...

Rating: A

The Lost City of Z will be released on April 21, 2017.

Last edited:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Not a bad film but it felt like there were some major character shifts in the latter half that didnt make sense. I wonder if some things were cut out.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched this on Blu last night. I thought it was decent enough; although, the pacing felt a little slow. To me, the film, in its pacing and cinematography, had similarities to "Apocalypse Now", but it really didn't quite reach the bar of that film. I think the long period of time that the story took place over was a bit detrimental in developing the characters. For example, the expedition sequence with Murray just felt too short to really get a sense of the deterioration, both mentally and physically, of Murray and his detrimental effect on the party at large. "Wages of Fear" did a much better job in depicting the mental breakdown of an individual under enormous stress.

Likewise, the obsession that Fawcett had regarding his belief in the lost city of Zed felt more like a person, as the viewer, was engaging in a clinical examination, like watching the dissecting of a frog in a laboratory, than something you became emotionally invested in. I couldn't really get invested in any of the characters from any emotional standpoint. Watching the film felt like you were always separated, staring through the glass of a fishbowl at the goings on within its confines.

I think the movie was well done, but I'm thinking that I shouldn't have bought this film on Blu, as I am not sure that I will have any desire to revisit it any time soon.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watched this on Blu last night. I thought it was decent enough; although, the pacing felt a little slow. To me, the film, in its pacing and cinematography, had similarities to "Apocalypse Now", but it really didn't quite reach the bar of that film. I think the long period of time that the story took place over was a bit detrimental in developing the characters. For example, the expedition sequence with Murray just felt too short to really get a sense of the deterioration, both mentally and physically, of Murray and his detrimental effect on the party at large. "Wages of Fear" did a much better job in depicting the mental breakdown of an individual under enormous stress.

Likewise, the obsession that Fawcett had regarding his belief in the lost city of Zed felt more like a person, as the viewer, was engaging in a clinical examination, like watching the dissecting of a frog in a laboratory, than something you became emotionally invested in. I couldn't really get invested in any of the characters from any emotional standpoint. Watching the film felt like you were always separated, staring through the glass of a fishbowl at the goings on within its confines.

I think the movie was well done, but I'm thinking that I shouldn't have bought this film on Blu, as I am not sure that I will have any desire to revisit it any time soon.

If you haven't done so already, listen to the commentary - it's excellent!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you haven't done so already, listen to the commentary - it's excellent!

Is the commentary on the DVD, because all I saw for extras on the BD was the fluff piece about locating the city? Ir was basically about 15 minutes of them talking about the difficulties of shooting on location.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is the commentary on the DVD, because all I saw for extras on the BD was the fluff piece about locating the city? Ir was basically about 15 minutes of them talking about the difficulties of shooting on location.

Oh - I don't know if it's on the DVD. I got the BD and it's on there...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If it was a Netflix rental copy they usually don't have any extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks