What's new

Silicon Valley: Season 2 (HBO) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just wish Christopher Evan Welch survived to continue as Peter Gregory. Cancer at his age is always tragic, but especially when it comes just as he found the role he was born to play.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New trailer:

"I never felt like I was anyone's 'bro' before -- the only people who have used that term with me were assailants."

Killer line from Albie at the very end, there. Totally sums up all the real-world Silicon Valley BS about actually improving the world versus the reality of wanting to crush the competition.

Quite possibly my favorite thing about Silicon Valley that the show hasn't addressed yet is how everyone there thinks they are super-smart engineers, and yet they participate in the worst traffic in entire the country twice a day.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The short scene with Monica in Peter Gregory's office seems to hint that we'll get some resolution where his character is concerned.

It looks like Chris Diamantopoulos is stepping into the role of the activist angel investor.

I loved the first season, hope this second season holds up.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Alan Sepinwall is reporting on what exactly happens to Christopher Evan Welch's character on the show:

He died at some point offscreen between seasons.

The one element the new season sadly lacks is Peter Gregory, the eccentric tech billionaire played by Christopher Evan Welch, who died after appearing in the series' first five episodes. Welch's performance was specific, strange, empathetic and absolutely wonderful (here's Peter Gregory discussing sesame seeds), and his death deprived the show of its most vivid character.

Welch left a void big enough that Mike Judge, Alec Berg and company wisely don't try to fill with just one actor. Instead, the new season (I've seen the first three episodes) essentially splits the role in two, with Suzanne Cryer as a socially awkward woman who takes over management of Peter's company after his unfortunate demise(**), and Chris Diamantopoulos as a dude-bro who made his fortune several Silicon Valley generations ago ("I put radio on the internet!" he boasts, frequently) and sees Pied Piper as a new opportunity for relevance.

(**) And it's impressive how the show manages to explain Peter's absence in a way that's simultaneously respectful of Welch's passing and completely ridiculous.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/silicon-valley-fills-peter-gregorys-big-shoes-in-season-2

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good premiere. Peter Gregory's demise was suitably bizarre. I like that his replacement is also strange, but maybe has blind spots that Peter Gregory didn't. It's the same pile of money, but she doesn't offer the sort of mentorship and guidance that they signed up for.

I'm happy they backed away from the romantic angle between Richard and Monica. I like their friendship and mutual respect, but hated the idea of forcing the token female into a romantic relationship with the main character.

Sam Posten said:
Aside from reinforcing the stereotype of "all [insert ethnic/minority classification here] people look the same", it speaks to a basic failure in reporting that would get a freshman journalism major chewed out. It would have taken the reporter less than thirty seconds to hop on IMDB and check on her assertion. That fact that she didn't bother speaks to sloppiness and laziness, two major sins in her chosen profession.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"We're walking in there with three-foot cocks covered in Elvis-dust."

Great episode. Richard spiraling out of control with "You fucking slut" had me in stitches. Liked that Peter Gregory's obituary listed him as a fencing-enthusiast, given Christopher Evan Welch's real-life interest. Cool detail.

"That's the type of guy he was. Generous, intelligent, and not disappointed in Snapchat."

Comedy in editing: the gag about quantifying Gregory's contribution would've been funny if they just cut to the algorithm projected behind the speaker, but it was 120% funnier because it took three clicks to get all the way there.

Monica, Peter Gregory is dead. Long live Peter Gregory.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Adam Lenhardt said:
Aside from reinforcing the stereotype of "all [insert ethnic/minority classification here] people look the same", it speaks to a basic failure in reporting that would get a freshman journalism major chewed out. It would have taken the reporter less than thirty seconds to hop on IMDB and check on her assertion. That fact that she didn't bother speaks to sloppiness and laziness, two major sins in her chosen profession.

Shit...and here all this time, I thought it was Aziz. :D

But seriously, yeah, this was a pretty colossal screwup on that writer's part. I can only imagine the pounding she's probably taking from the Twitter PC Social Justice Warrior Outrage Police(TM) right about now.

"Your logo looks like a sideways vagina. I find that to be racist."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So was I the only one who was actually looking forward to this more than Game of Thrones last night? I wouldn't mind at all if every single episode consists solely of Guilfoyle and Dinesh arguing about the dumbest shit possible.

"You hear the word 'chief,' and you think 'Indian chief,' but you're the other kind of Indian."

Also:

"One of you is the least-attractive person I've ever seen. I won't say who."

*glances pointedly at man on the right*

And:

MY FIST TO YOUR FACE IS FUCKING FOLGERS

- Best song with which to end any show.

Adam Lenhardt said:

Just made my whole day.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Their new investor had me laughing more than any other plotline. His antics could get annoying quickly tho if overdone. Is he supposed to be a riff on Marc Cuban?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"You're not worried about the lawsuit?"
"Shit no! I've got three nannies suing me right now--One of them for no reason!"

Just about every moment of Chris Diamantopoulos's staggering douchebaggery was glorious to behold, but I agree that a little is going to go a long way with this character.

At the same time, I really like the position he puts Monica in, trapped between two lunatics, with him running as fiery hot as Laurie Bream runs robotically cold.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Adam Lenhardt said:
with him running as fiery hot as Laurie Bream runs robotically cold.
I got some kind of weird Bryan Cranston as the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle thing from him and an autistic Salley Field vibe from her.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"My baby's got some ideas about Jews. Some good, some...bad."

Turns out that http://hooli.xyz, noted on a slide during the Hooli XYZ keynote, is another actual parody website.

Good news! The dude with the scary dreams from Mulholland Drive is back! Bad news! He now looks as old as the dumpster monster!

Also, I absolutely loved Erlich bitching in the background about people misplacing his VHS Star Blazers tapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks