What's new

Upgrading AVR to AVR+Amp - Input Sensitivity Question (1 Viewer)

Philm63

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil M.
Looking to upgrade my Denon X2000 to the X4000 in hopes of adding an external amp, specifically the Emotiva XPA-5. My question is; does anyone have this particular combination and if so, can you tell me how it works for you?

What I'm looking for is whether or not the Denon AVRs can adequately push the inputs on the XPA-5 to achieve the rated 200 WPC.

Calling Denon directly, I get from them that I can expect 1.2 V out of the pre-amp outputs (multi-channel outs). Looking around on Emotiva's forum I see posts indicating an input sensitivity for the XPA-5 of 1.8 V hence my concern.

I also see some folks using Denon AVRs with Emo amps and not saying anything to the effect they can't drive to full power. And to add more confusion to the mix; I also see folks on the Emo forum indicating measurements of 4 V coming from the pre-outs on their Denon 3313CI (X4000 predecessor).

Should one expect any issues running an Emotiva XPA-5 off of a Denon X4000?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I've not heard of an issue where preamp outs with most things can't drive external amps to decent enough levels. A big benefit of external amps is relieving the AVR of the sharing of power supplies. In reality with many analog outputs are 2V for unbalanced RCAs.

I have a Denon X1000 in a guest room and my neighbor has the same model. Denon does not have great customer service and their personnel answering the calls are terrible and not knowledgeable. I've heard off the wall things from them personally I couldn't believe. My neighbor's USB input on the front stopped working and he was told a few times the USB thumb drive was not formatted properly with FAT after he told them we tested it in mine and it worked (and I tested it in other components and the PC too). I was really totally unimpressed with their support. I'll likely be be buying a couple of AVRs with the new formats between a year and a year and a half ago and it won't be Denon.

Philm63

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil M.
Even at 2 V, that should be enough to drive the XPA-5 with no problems. Thanks for confirming my suspicions - I thought the guy at Denon sounded as though he had no idea what I was asking.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
In one spare system I have an old Marantz 6003 with an Emotiva XPA 200 (and a Sherborn preamp with HT Bypass). They have no clue about anything. For one issue I had I had to tell them thing 5 times between emails and voice mails before they got it. It was something that anyone working in any electronics store for a couple of months should easily understand.

I wish Oppo would make AVRs. Their customer service is exceptional even better than many real high end companies. It doesn't leave one with confidence when their chosen reps to deal with the public have such limited knowledge. It is obvious they read from scripts and that's all they know. They wasted too much of my time between my issue and my neighbor's for me to make a purchase of their equipment again. I've called Onkyo/Integra, Sony, Pioneer, etc. (I have about 6 systems) and Denon is just not with it (not that any of the rest are exceptional in my book).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That, seriously, is why you by Integra.

During warranty period, your first call is the dealer that sold it to you.

Back to question at hand.

No, the Denon is not going to have an issue.

Just like an iPod wouldn't have any issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks