Poltergeist (2015)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Title: Poltergeist

Tagline: They're Here. And They Know What Scares You.

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Gil Kenan

Cast: Sam Rockwell, Rosemarie DeWitt, Saxon Sharbino, Kyle Catlett, Kennedi Clements, Jared Harris, Nicholas Braun, Jane Adams, Susan Heyward, Karen Ivany, Patrick Garrow, Soma Bhatia, L.A. Lopes, Doug MacLeod, Eve Crawford, John Stoneham Jr., Kathryn Greenwood, Molly Kidder

Release: 2015-05-20

Runtime: 93

Plot: Legendary filmmaker Sam Raimi and director Gil Kenan reimagine and contemporize the classic tale about a family whose suburban home is invaded by angry spirits. When the terrifying apparitions escalate their attacks and take the youngest daughter, the family must come together to rescue her.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for sharing this. I would love it if this movie turns out to be good, but I have my doubts. Comparisons with the original are inevitable of course, and as someone who remembers seeing Poltergeist during its 1982 theatrical run, the comparison-bar will be set very high, because the original is an excellent film, and its memory is shrouded in the nostalgia of youth.

Will probably see this only if reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Let's keep fingers crossed ...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Here's the 1st full trailer:

Looks like pretty much the same plot as the original, with a few twists and special effects thrown in. The tone seems a bit darker and the spirits seem a fair bit more evil. Some of the acting seems fairly weak. I've got a gut feeling this one isn't going to do well with critics.

Mark

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Nice little E.T. reference, but this doesn't seem to cover any new ground. And don't real estate people have to disclose unpleasant little details like that they sell a house nowadays? ;)

And no sane person would give such a freaking horrifying clown doll to a child, even in 1982.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
SilverWook said:
Nice little E.T. reference, but this doesn't seem to cover any new ground. And don't real estate people have to disclose unpleasant little details like that they sell a house nowadays? ;)

Yes, they do. (Not to mention the whole greedy "We just moved the cemetery a little" gag worked better in the 80's, assuming any bit of Spielbergian black humor was even kept from the original.)

But like the Omen, Elm Street and Total Recall remakes, it not only seems to be a remake made solely for the chutzpah of saying they remade a Glorious 80's title, it just seems to beat the same fan-iconic scenes into the ground at the expense of even pretending anything new...What, did JJ Abrams direct it? :P

(I mean, watching TV? Trust me, kids, you probably wouldn't know it today, but that used to mean a lot more in 1982.)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
SilverWook said:

And no sane person would give such a freaking horrifying clown doll to a child, even in 1982.

I don't know. That OG clown was pretty freaking scary, LOL.

poltergeist-clown.jpg

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
steve jaros said:
I don't know. That OG clown was pretty freaking scary, LOL.

poltergeist-clown.jpg

The clown dolls in the original film were made by sculptor/doll artist Annette Little. She made 5 of them for the production (I believe 1 or 2 of them had different expressions). She had a shop here in San Diego (in Seaport Village) called 'Here Come the Clowns' and someone from the studio contracted her to make the clowns.

For years after the film came out, visitors to her shop in Seaport Village were treated to one of the clown dolls on display (yes, one that was actually used in filming). I enjoyed a few visits to her shop over the years and that clown doll always put the hair on the back of my neck up on end. Spooky looking thing! I could not have one in the house without being freaked out by it. And, if you think I'm a wuss, keep in mind my wife felt 100 times more strongly about it! She didn't even want to look at the thing on display at the shop! :)

I believe a couple of the other clown dolls she made are on display in a couple of the Planet Hollywood locations.

Mark

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Mark Booth said:
Here's the 1st full trailer:

Looks like pretty much the same plot as the original, with a few twists and special effects thrown in. The tone seems a bit darker and the spirits seem a fair bit more evil. Some of the acting seems fairly weak. I've got a gut feeling this one isn't going to do well with critics.

Mark

The cast has Sam Rockwell and Jared Harris, so that bodes decently for the acting.

I also liked the director's "Monster House" - that animated movie was a good mix of action, horror and comedy, so he might be able to pull off an appropriate reworking of "Poltergeist"...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Colin Jacobson said:
I also liked the director's "Monster House" - that animated movie was a good mix of action, horror and comedy, so he might be able to pull off an appropriate reworking of "Poltergeist"...

Wait, (checks IMDB), Robert Zemeckis didn't do Monster House?

Huh. Sure looked like it had some of the same loopy RZ licks as Polar Express and Christmas Carol. Still, what there actually was good about it looked like it had a better film in it.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Mark Booth said:
The clown dolls in the original film were made by sculptor/doll artist Annette Little. She made 5 of them for the production (I believe 1 or 2 of them had different expressions). She had a shop here in San Diego (in Seaport Village) called 'Here Come the Clowns' and someone from the studio contracted her to make the clowns.

For years after the film came out, visitors to her shop in Seaport Village were treated to one of the clown dolls on display (yes, one that was actually used in filming). I enjoyed a few visits to her shop over the years and that clown doll always put the hair on the back of my neck up on end. Spooky looking thing! I could not have one in the house without being freaked out by it. And, if you think I'm a wuss, keep in mind my wife felt 100 times more strongly about it! She didn't even want to look at the thing on display at the shop! :)

I believe a couple of the other clown dolls she made are on display in a couple of the Planet Hollywood locations.

Mark
Great story Mark, thanks for sharing!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I read the book version of the first movie before seeing the movie and while liking the movie I was disappointed that they didn't actually go into the "wall" to get the kid during the movie.

That part was proabaly my favorite stuff in the book.

Maybe this time they go in the "wall".

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well there was a reason if I didn't write anything. :) Meh, I give it 6/10.

But one question. Don't you think that if you watch a horror movie at home, it's scarier? Don't you think that the experience of a horror movie in a theater with full of people diminishes it? I don't know if this movie was bad or if it was because I knew there was 60-70 other people in the theater that made it less scary.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
SamT said:
Well there was a reason if I didn't write anything. :) Meh, I give it 6/10.

But one question. Don't you think that if you watch a horror movie at home, it's scarier? Don't you think that the experience of a horror movie in a theater with full of people diminishes it? I don't know if this movie was bad or if it was because I knew there was 60-70 other people in the theater that made it less scary.
Not really, I think it's more fun at the movies. Even when the group isnt very good.

Also a 6/10 is the same as 3/5 so that sounds like a good score to me.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw this movie for the second time, 5 years after seen it in the theater. Saw it late at night and alone. Enjoyed it more this time. (7/10) Horror movies definitely work better for me when I see them late at night and alone.

I saw both the original and this over 2 nights. While the original is not just a horror movie, this is straightforward horror. It's not that bad. I jumped more seeing this than the original.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Amazon Looking to Revive Poltergeist Franchise​

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks