What's new

Another hint at big changes for Apple Devs & merging iOS and OSX functionality (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Maybe I am just out of it right now...

But can you put this in layman terms as to what is happening?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So in iPhone development a series of special application frameworks were added to the traditional OSX for handling, among the many specific things for phones, a ton of routines that handle touch based interaction. These APIs have no equivalent in OSX, they are iOS specific. This makes 'porting' between the two impossible. What has been discovered is that a new set of APIs for OSX converting these uses to mouse and keyboard have been introduced and they work almost exactly the same way their iOS equivalents do.

But, these remain hidden behind a wall, we can't actually see how they work, only that they are being used. So we can speculate how they are implemented (for example that this new interface doesnt care HOW you are interacting, touch, pen, mouse, keyboard, whatever) but not really being sure.

We can only guess. And that's fun and exciting =)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

That article doesn't say that a single binary will run on all platforms. Reading between the lines, if this does come to pass, it sounds more like a scheme to reduce the amount of work to support two different UIs (touch screen vs. keyboard/mouse) in source code. iOS app binaries might still be ARM-specific and iOS-specific, while macOS app binaries might still be Intel-specific and macOS-specific.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sounds to me like API unification rather than the Apps themselves

And that's what I was getting at in my reply to Ron. Again it is all speculation now, and you could do worse than to read Gruber's long take on it:
https://daringfireball.net/2017/12/marzipan

Obviously the details matter here. I don't think that it will result in universal binaries to start, but I do expect them eventually.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have work access to a windows touchscreen laptop and I don’t really find myself using the touch part of it. I’ve never used my Mac laptop and wished I could touch the screen.

But I have often wished I could run iOS apps and games (ok I admit it, mostly games) on my Mac. So a unified ability to run apps on both platforms would be welcome for me. But a touchscreen Mac is less exciting for me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So out of all those announcements yesterday, the one I'm most excited for is...dark mode.

I have accepted my beta invite, but since I only have a production machine I likely won't install the new beta MacOS until the 3rd or 4th version. The first couple of betas on a major upgrade are always super-buggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks