What's new

The Order: 1886 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, this is a "buy it eventually" game for me. When it's $15-20 used from GameFly or Amazon, I'll consider it. The graphics look nice, but I suspect there's a reason why all of the hype has been surrounding the graphics.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It looks gorgeous, with a superb story-telling experience. But I don't like murder simulators. I think The Order is too realistic for my tastes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Gorgeous? Absolutely. But let's wait for some positive reviews and buzz before we commend the storytelling abilities. In fact, some previews I've seen have lamented how generic the gameplay is compared to how pretty it is.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sure. I've only watched the trailer, which portrays a strong story experience. But I've no idea if it succeeds at it. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't mind "generic" gameplay if it's paired with an awesome story. Heck, I'd rather play The Saboteur than Grand Theft Auto. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I generally agree, except...we know nothing about the story here. I've seen too many games get buried in hype in the last year or two to really give anything credence before seeing reviews.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oucccccch:

nk1y9Uh.jpg

Real Name
Dan
Wow, I missed out on the pre order because I waited too long and I was really disappointed. Now I'm feeling like a lucky duck. Sounds like it will be $19.99 in 3 mos.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sounds like it's a terrible $60+ game, but should be a pretty nice pick out of the bargain bin one of these days.

No matter what anyone says, length does matter. A 60 minute game could be the best I ever played, but without unlimited funds, I'd in general rather get a good game that will provide me with entertainment for an amount of time that seems appropriate for the monetary investment.

For what the asking price is, I'd want to see a single player component that lasts at least twice as long as this for an absolute bare minimum (Which is why I always wait until Call of Duty is several installments old, since I play them for the ~5 hour or so long campaign instead of multiplayer).

There's no hard and fast rule to this, but this definitely doesn't reach that intangible threshold in my mind that justifies the cost. Especially when so much of what's there, isn't even really a videogame.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I usually try to get through a game in about 8-10 hours as it is, so the length of The Order doesn't bother me. But I also wait until it's under $20 to buy it. All of the other negatives I've seen in reviews (story sucks, way too many QTEs, awful stealth sections, graphics only really pop in a few parts, completely uninspired gameplay that other games have done much better, etc.) tell me that the game is actually straight up bad.

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
So, now that I've had a chance to play The Order for a good bit, I thought I'd share my impressions of it to help those who may or may not be on the fence.

First, the graphics as expected are great, the music is also very good & I find it fits the game quite well. The setting & atmosphere are also well done as is the VA.

The gameplay is fairly typical TPS cover shooter type, nothing new here with the exception of a special ability that sort of slows down time. The guns are split into two types, normal ones like pistols & machine guns & such & then there are science weapons, the two I've encountered so far shoot lightning & the other can set enemies on fire.

I won't give any story spoilers but I'll say that so far I like it & it's doing a good job of keeping me interested. The game also has chapters which can be replayed once you complete them & uses an autosave feature. You can carry 2 weapons at a time like 1 pistol & 1 machine gun, rifle, shotgun, science weapons etc. Also so far have 2 types of grenades, smoke & explosive.

Controls so far have been responsive & I've had no issues with them. If it's worth $60 or not will obviously vary from person to person but so far I feel like the game for my taste was well worth the $60 as I'm enjoying it a lot. I'd give it a 8/10. My only complaint is that sprinting is a bit slow & some of the forced slow walking segments. Other then that I feel the game was more then worth my $60. I also find the more I play & get farther in the story, the more I like it.

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
Morgan Jolley said:
I usually try to get through a game in about 8-10 hours as it is, so the length of The Order doesn't bother me. But I also wait until it's under $20 to buy it. All of the other negatives I've seen in reviews (story sucks, way too many QTEs, awful stealth sections, graphics only really pop in a few parts, completely uninspired gameplay that other games have done much better, etc.) tell me that the game is actually straight up bad.

The game is most certainly not straight up bad. It does things well enough that im looking forward to the sequel if it gets one. In fact, everyone I know outside the internet that has played it, really likes it. Story is also very interesting.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It is short. There is not a lot of replay value.

But it is gorgeous. And I really enjoyed the story and the acting. The weapons are cool and the movement system is fun. I think most people just feel as though $60 is too high. Frankly, I don't know about that. I took my son to a movie the other day and paying for two of us and food ran me $50. Thta was two hours and I can't get hat back. I may replay this just to try a few things differently and see if I've improved at the gameplay.

I loved the slightly slower pace fighting system that seemed far more realistic than many shooters that often seem too rapid paced.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a bit crazy that you can get a 5 hour single-player game, a 100+ hour open world RPG, or an endless puzzle game, and all of them are $60. It's very difficult to make an argument for the "value" of money vs. length of a game or experience.

That said, honestly, even if price wasn't an issue (which you could argue is the case for all of the professional reviews) the game still looks like crap. Well, I take that back, it LOOKS amazing but seems to play like everything else but in a bad way. It just seems like a neat couple of ideas that turn into the stuff that was great in the middle of the last generation. I mean, gameplay- and story-wise, is there anything in The Order that wasn't successfully done on the PS3 and 360? Take that and combine it with a short campaign, no replay value, and a $60 pricetag, and THAT is why people are upset. Also, this was one of the big PS4 exclusives that Sony had been touting for a very long time, so to see it come out as a big disappointment really sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks