What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Porco Rosso (The Crimson Pig) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

With Disney's release of Hayao Miyazaki's Porco Rosso on Blu-ray, it appears that we finally have all of the works of this Japanese master filmmaker available in the format from Ghibli.

If this film were an American adventure tale, with a human in the lead, one could try to come up with casting choices.  In the 1930s to '40s, it probably would have been James Cagney or Errol Flynn.

Disney's new Blu-ray is a gorgeous representation of the original, with colors that jump off the screen.  Everything is right here.

While Disney's Ghibli collection also offers the work of other animators, if you'd like the work of Mr. Miyazaki Sr. (his son Goro, is also represented), now would be the perfect time to pick up all eight, inclusive of his last work, The Wind Rises.

A beautiful animated feature, and a perfect Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

maac027

Auditioning
Real Name
Munir Abedrabbo
Thanks for the words RAH, I can't wait to pick this up. However, we still need Spirited Away and The Castle of Cagliostro (not Ghibli but directed by Miyazaki nonentheless) to have his complete filmography on BD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Where/When was this ever called "The Crimson Pig"?

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
In Japan, the film is called Kurenai no Buta, of which The Crimson Pig is an accurate translation. Porco Rosso is merely the title bestowed on the film by foreign distributors.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its not unusual for Ghibli films to have substantially different titles in Japan. Other examples include:

Majyuu no Tankoban ("Instant Witch Delivery" aka "Kiki's Delivery Service")

Omoide Poro Poro ("Memories Come Tumbling Down" aka "Only Yesterday")

Umi ga Kikoeru ("I Can Hear The Sea" aka "The Ocean Waves")

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi ("The Spiriting Away of Sen and Chihiro" = "Spirited Away")

Gedo Senki ("War Legend Ged" -> "Tales of Earthsea")

Gake no Ue no Ponyo ("Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea")

Kari-gurashi no Arietti ("The Borrower Arietty" -> "The Secret World of Arietty")

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
maac027 said:
we still need Spirited Away and The Castle of Cagliostro (not Ghibli but directed by Miyazaki nonentheless) to have his complete filmography on BD.
I was wondering about Spirited Away, but i think expectations are reasonably high that it will be in the
next wave of Disney Ghibli. We got 3 in November and 3 in February, so maybe by the fall
the next series will come up with some combination of Spirited Away, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Cat Returns, Only Yesterday, and possibly Ocean Waves. I'm pretty sure Disney has Home Video rights to all of these though the latter 2 are certainly questionable.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
EddieLarkin said:
In Japan, the film is called Kurenai no Buta, of which The Crimson Pig is an accurate translation. Porco Rosso is merely the title bestowed on the film by foreign distributors.
Porco Rosso is Italian for Red (Crimson) Pig. Why use an Italian title for this Japanese movie? Weird.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
The film is set in Italy. Though I can't for the life of me remember if they call him Porco Rosso in the Japanese track or not. Either way, thinking about it it was probably Ghibli who decided on Porco Rosso for international release. Certainly better than calling it "Red Pig".

maac027

Auditioning
Real Name
Munir Abedrabbo
David Norman said:
I was wondering about Spirited Away, but i think expectations are reasonably high that it will be in the
next wave of Disney Ghibli. We got 3 in November and 3 in February, so maybe by the fall
the next series will come up with some combination of Spirited Away, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Cat Returns, Only Yesterday, and possibly Ocean Waves. I'm pretty sure Disney has Home Video rights to all of these though the latter 2 are certainly questionable.
Unfortunately, Only Yesterday has never been released in the US even though Disney has the rights and I doubt they'll release it now without an English dub. Same thing with Ocean Waves, which has not even been released in Japan on BD so a US release is also very uncertain.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
maac027 said:
Unfortunately, Only Yesterday has never been released in the US even though Disney has the rights and I doubt they'll release it now without an English dub. Same thing with Ocean Waves, which has not even been released in Japan on BD so a US release is also very uncertain.
Those were the 2 (very) long shots. I know Only Yesterday did play on TCM a few years ago during a Miyazaki tribute with English subtitles. I was just looking at which Disney Ghiblis haven't been released yet and that was pretty much the short list.

I really think Spirited Away will be the next anchor release most likely with Cat Returns and Yamadas. I have no idea is this might be a summer or possible next Nov release based on past history.

Then of course, maybe they re-release them with better translations. At least according to the Japanese Anime experts some of those translations are less than stellar. First reports seem to say Porco Rosso got a good deal and Pom Poko apparently fared much worse.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Robert Harris said:
With Disney's release of Hayao Miyazaki's Porco Rosso on Blu-ray, it appears that we finally have all of the works of this Japanese master filmmaker available in the format from Ghibli.

If this film were an American adventure tale, with a human in the lead, one could try to come up with casting choices. In the 1930s to '40s, it probably would have been James Cagney or Errol Flynn.

Disney's new Blu-ray is a gorgeous representation of the original, with colors that jump off the screen. Everything is right here.

While Disney's Ghibli collection also offers the work of other animators, if you'd like the work of Mr. Miyazaki Sr. (his son Goro, is also represented), now would be the perfect time to pick up all eight, inclusive of his last work, The Wind Rises.

A beautiful animated feature, and a perfect Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

I'm assuming (hoping) the Blu-ray has the French dub (which was on the DVD) and which just might be the best way to experience this film. Jean Reno does the voice of Porco. 'Nuff said.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
EddieLarkin said:
The film is set in Italy. Though I can't for the life of me remember if they call him Porco Rosso in the Japanese track or not. Either way, thinking about it it was probably Ghibli who decided on Porco Rosso for international release. Certainly better than calling it "Red Pig".

The Crimson Pig would have been a cool title, though. I like Porco Rosso just fine.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Are the subtitles a proper translation of the Japanese track or are they dubtitles? I'd like to pick this up to replace my DVD copy, but Disney's Blu-rays of Miyazaki's films have had issues with proper translations of the Japanese tracks on some releases.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They're subs. Its just the ones Disney released on DVD before 2005 that have had this problem (only two of which had literal subs in the first place).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks