What's new

New home theater speaker choices (1 Viewer)

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question about setting up a new home theater. This will go into my family room and be used primarily for home movies and occasional music. Mostly movies and TV. The room is 16' x 16' and enclosed on 3 sides, with the other opening into the dining room.

My current setup is a 55" LCD with a Sony STR-DG520 AVR and a set of old Pioneer speakers. I don't know much about them. I bought them from a friend years ago and they sound okay. It's a 5.1 system using a very low end sub with speaker line in and line out which I hate. Fronts are towerish speakers. Center is small, and the rears for surround are bookshelves. They were okay, but I want something that sounds good.

I have been looking around at budget setups and have seen some recommendations for: Energy Take 5.1, Definitive Technology 5.1, and the A. J. Pioneer system. All seem like they have fans, but not sure what is the best for the price. I don't have the money to play with the big dogs here. Sub and speakers need to be under about $700.

The other thing is, I know that AVR isn't the best. That is why I am trying not to go broke on the speakers, so I can replace the AVR maybe next year or the year after. I am really looking for something that will sound nice for the money, and can be upgraded as I go. I have looked at the internet based subs but they seem way out of my price range for now. Maybe I get a lower end sub and use it as part of a 5.2 system down the line along with a better sub?

I know you guys probably see this exact same post every day; Please help! Need awesome stereo that cost nothing and works with what I have now! But I do need some help here. If it was your $700, how would you spend it to get the most bang for your buck, and the most sound for your money?

Thanks. And sorry if I left out any key info. Just ask if there is something else I should have included.

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
Thanks Arm. I do have wires already but no sub cable which will be easy to pick up.

I have read some good things about that sub. Seems like a good option. Thanks for the input.

Kurt79

Auditioning
Real Name
Kurt
ArmSC said:
Get a sub cable $5 and two sets of stands ($60) for front and rear speakers and I think you're in business. I'm assuming that you already have wire run to your locations.
Just wondering, what is a sub cable (vs a normal cable)?

That pag says: "Generates better high frequencies and a more realistic stereo image"

High frequencies for a sub?

Stereo for a sub?

I don't get it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Kurt79 said:
Just wondering, what is a sub cable (vs a normal cable)?

That pag says: "Generates better high frequencies and a more realistic stereo image"
High frequencies for a sub?
Stereo for a sub?
I don't get it.
subwoofer, digital coax and composite video are all the same cable.

Covering their bases...

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
Would anyone recommend the A.J. Pioneer system with that BIC F12 instead of the 8" sub it comes with? Would that be better than the full BIC setup listed above? I know it will cost a little more, but is it worth it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Which Pio AJ?

The all satellite/bookshelf

Or

The tower front channel?

The Pio AJ aren't anywhere near as efficient. But if you must have tiny...

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
That 5.0 is the one I was looking at. I have seen pretty decent reviews of it. I think paired with the F12 it should be good to go. Only negatives I saw were for the reviews of the sub that comes in the 5.1.

Just looking for something with good sound, at a budget, and has the ability down the line to upgrade. I would think I could use that F12 in a 5.2 down the road with a better sub if I got one.

What do you think?

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered all the wall plates/gang plates/cables from mono price last night and the F12 from Amazon. I'm going to wire everything up and see if those speakers go on sale while I am waiting. Can't wait to hear it all.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'd also look at Dayton speakers and subs, for AVR's, it best to stick with Yamaha, Denon or Marantz. Best of luck!

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
The sub is already ordered. I will take a look at those speakers though. Thanks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We always like hearing from a "happy customer!" :biggrin:

And, by the way, welcome to the forum, James! :welcome:

Once you get things the way you (and your wife) like 'em, be sure to poke around and see all the interesting stuff we talk about here--the latest releases, the latest gear and technologies...

We'll have you upgrading before you know it! :laugh:

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
I have some speakers on the way. Next up is that avr. Then a new tv....you see where this is going.

The Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
James Sherwood
Got the whole set in. I'm blown away. Honestly, they sound terrific and it wasn't much money at all. Wish I had done this a long time ago. I can't wait to watch more movies in there. Plus the stereo sound is great. Once these break in they are going to be awesome. Thanks again for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks