What's new

Need help renovating old config (1 Viewer)

aka_gk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirill
Hi,

I need help putting together old config:

front — Dali Blue 5005,

center — Dail C1000,

rear — Dali R1000,

subwoofer will be later.

Receiver — NAD T742 (Rear ports for reference http://audiozavar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/p1110005.jpg )

TV is new — Sony 49X8505 (rear - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7460606/Screen_shot%202015-02-02%20at%2020.28.36.png )

Questions:

1. Since avr is old, there no HDMI's. Will it work if I connect all sources (htpc, ip-tv etc.) via HDMI to TV, then send sound as follows Digital Audio out -> NAD T742 Digital in -> Speakers ?

2. Rears are wall-mounted, but in current apartment I don't have walls to hang them onto (atleast not on both sides). Will I have any luck finding stands for them? I didn't so far, bottom twitter placement makes it even harder.

Thanks in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your TV likely does not pass 5.1. It "might" pass DD. But it will not, at all, pass DTS.

Sony is one of those brands that some TV can pass 5.1 HDMI to digital output.

There are stands that rear mount to speakers.

aka_gk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirill
So basically I have 2 options, connect all audio sources to avr directly, and all video sources to TV or to update avr, right?

Any advice on avr adequate for my speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since your 5005 are 4ohm...

Anything, pretty much, over $800(original MSRP).

Onkyo, outside bottom entry, won't have issues.

Denon tend to upchuck their guts unless certified. Denon will be $1000+ MSRP for 4ohm.

Yamaha, anything.

Pioneer as long as 4ohm certified, which...depending on year(they went class D, so for a few years they weren't 4ohm stable at any price) don't exist or $900+.

aka_gk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirill
Thanks.

So you're saying any Yamaha will work, even bottom line RX-V377? Will I see any sound quality impact against my NAD?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In my opionion, yes...the 377 would work. But...

No AVR is really its rated output by 5/7/9/11(yes, Onkyo has an 11 channel AVR).

The 377 likely offers up 200 watts total. Is 40wpc enough?

Once you hit the 6xx and RX-A line, you start seeing 400+ watt power reserves. The top end Yamaha, Onkyo, Elite etc all start nearing 800+ watt power reserve.

By the way...

The "6ohm and lower" setting in an AVR is nothing but a gain reduction. Instability and overheating happens when you ask for more power than the power supply can offer up. 4ohm simply requires 1/2 the gain as 8ohm...for the same amount of power. That is why low end AVR typically aren't recommended, even though if you are judicious in the amount of power you are asking for, they will be fine.

Just don't expect the 377 to push your speakers to a concert volume level of NIN Closer.

Pioneer Elite just added a "total amount of power" spec to their SC line. The top model has a pool of 900 watts available for audio...

If that isn't enough...

aka_gk

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirill
So on this price level it's mostly about volume and feature set, is it?

Btw I've been using this setup at volume setting of about -30 and would describe it as immersively loud, I don't think I need more than that now. I might add subwoofer later on though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I, personally, will never buy an AVR without preouts. The 677 might have them. If it doesn't, the RX A840 does.

Then, if you decide you need more reserve power, you connect a 2/3/5 channel to have the AVR reserve for center/surround duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks