What's new

Receiver recommendation for new UHD TV owner (1 Viewer)

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Hi all,

New to UHD and just purchased one of these TVs and I'm amazed! I'm assuming I would now need a new receiver to replace old with either 4k pass through and/or upscale. Not sure if both are required?

Now, Please note that I'm on a budget and while I want the best sound possible, I'm only able to spend around $350 on one at the moment. While I will consider a decent one without wireless capabilities, it would be nice to have. At least ability to stream music. I already have some decent Energy speakers so at least I can spend all on just a receiver.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

--mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo. The only one HDCP compliant. But, you lose 18g HDMI.

Or, like most people. Wait till April when fully-baked HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 is out there.

But, it depends...

Is your display capable of 18g or HDCP 2.2?

(Cause there are 3 flavors, till March, of UHD. 18g, HDCP 2.2 or 18g with HDCP 2.2...which, both, is not on any bargain basement set)

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Hi,
Thanks for reply.
You lost me a bit here but TV I have is Samsung UHD 6950. I believe it is 2.0.

Sorry, have no clue what 18g is or if my TV supports it.

I'm just looking for a decent receiver that will support this UHD TV without degration in picture quality.

And yes, I'm now leaning towards two brands... Onkyo and Yamaha. :) Just want to ensure I buy something that supports this TV at a reasonable price.

Thanks again,

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Read up on HDMI 2.0 then.

Your TV either supports 4.4.4 color, or it has HDCP 2.2.

Or it supports both.

You bought it, you should know. Or you should find out before you can't return it.

4.4.4 is the 18g.

1. If your TV supports 4.4.4 and doesn't have HDCP 2.2. Buy the Yamaha.

2. If your TV is 4.2.0 and has HDCP 2.2. Buy the Onkyo.

3. If your TV is 4.4.4 and HDCP 2.2. Don't buy any AVR till the new models arrive in March.

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Schan1269,
Thanks for the info. It was quite helpful. However, I'm not sure where many others who have replied to me in other forums as well are getting their information.

OK, so I called Samsung today and spoke with a tier 2 tech and they confirmed all their uhd TVs are hdcp 2.2.

Furthermore, I did a bit more research and found this TV actually supports both. . Found that HDMI port 3 mlc port is the HDCP 2.2 port. The other 3 ports can support 4.4.4 if you enable them individually on the uhd color menu. The HDMI 3 port in this menu is grayed out so that makes sense.

Now, my question to you is you suggestion on both brands. Did you happen to reverse the brand based on support? I ask because according to the specs on some of the Yamaha receivers, they support 4.2.0 60fps meaning it should be HDCP 2.2. Just wondering if you meant it the other way around?

--mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nope.

Onkyo supports HDCP 2.2 and 4.2.0.

Everyone else supports 4.4.4, but not HDCP.

The 4.4.4 is 30hz.

Your TV supports both variations.

When UHD is fully baked(all year we've been calling HDMI 2.0 half-baked) it will be 4.4.4 at 60hz with HDCP 2.2.

I still recommend waiting till March/April to have both.

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Thanks

What if I don't want to wait? I'm not looking for anything super high end. I just obviously need something immediately, as I'm using the TV for sound! Lol.

In short, I'm looking for best possible option right now. Leaning towards Yamaha more now after more research in terms of features, looks and budget.

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Thanks dude. I appreciate it.

BTW,
Any recommendations on Blu-ray player? Prefer to stick with Samsung. Thanks

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Schan1269,
Thanks again for everything.

I'm done researching. Exhausted. Lol

Here's my decision and considering I took your advice over all others, would really like your input on this.

I simply cannot wait because I have nothing now. Even though a bit out of budget we discussed, I'm thinking of getting the Onkyo TX - NR636. That should support it for now and have something decent. Considering I found TV supports both now, I'll use this for a few months then sell it and get one that offers full support.

What do you think?
Thanks!

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help with all this. I'll do that for now to get something good and will deal with the new ones once they are released :)

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
Schan1269,
Finally just ordered the NR636 online after finding a great deal just under 400. :)

I just thought of something though since I'm new to UHD. Do I now need HDMI 2.0 cables or at least those that are HDCP compliant to connect TV to receiver and all other sources?

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
pookieguy said:
Schan1269,
Finally just ordered the NR636 online after finding a great deal just under 400. :)

I just thought of something though since I'm new to UHD. Do I now need HDMI 2.0 cables or at least those that are HDCP compliant to connect TV to receiver and all other sources?

Thanks
Cables are cables. There is standard speed and high speed(with and without Ethernet).

Buy high speed. Try the ones you have. 3ft and shorter, speed(not Ethernet) is irrelevant.

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
Cables are cables. There is standard speed and high speed(with and without Ethernet).

Buy high speed. Try the ones you have. 3ft and shorter, speed(not Ethernet) is irrelevant.
One of my current ones broke and is why I thought of this.

Yes, my setup allows shortest cables so planning on 3ft cables.

Thinking of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Ultra-Ethernet-Supports-Channel/dp/B009DMFOVG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423357955&sr=1-2&keywords=HDMI+2.0+hdcp+cable

Would these suffice?

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is a CableMatters 3ft 3-pack for $8.99.

And there is a Twisted Veins 3-pack of 1 foot, which includes 3 velcro straps, a 90 degree, cleaning cloth and "mini-mini" flashlight for under $10.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Even though late to this post. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 receiver which I bought after buying my 65in Samsung Curved UHD TV 9000 series. A firmware upgrade provided several weeks ago now allows it to be Dolby Atmos compliant also. It also allows for 4k signal pass thru. I just love this baby!

Regarding cables..... only one word: Monoprice. Excellent quality and pricing. I bought the thin high speed HDMI cables and they are great!

Also bought the Cat 7 Ethernet cables which are great for hooking up your UHD TV and receiver to your router. Faster than WiFi.

pookieguy

Grip
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
There is a CableMatters 3ft 3-pack for $8.99.

And there is a Twisted Veins 3-pack of 1 foot, which includes 3 velcro straps, a 90 degree, cleaning cloth and "mini-mini" flashlight for under $10.
Can you provide direct links. See 3pk but I'm sure it is not the one you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks