What's new

Woman Of Straw (1964) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
9175QnYs22L._SL1500_.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc last night. It's not perfect but it's certainly watchable and the various image defects did not prevent me from enjoying the film.

Woman Of Straw is the kind of film that should be the staple diet of the movie business: a good, fairly straight-forward story put on screen by gifted professionals working with actors who have star-quality and glamor in abundance.

Should be but isn't. Sadly, most films do not have directors as skilled as Basil Dearden, production designers as good as Ken Adam or movie stars as strong and as glamorous as Sean Connery and Gina Lollobrigida. In the early 1960s when he was making films like From Russia With Love, Marnie and Woman Of Straw, Sean Connery was probably the best "hunk" the movies have ever had: totally masculine yet able to wear smart clothes with the grace of a male model.

Gina Lollobrigida was no spring chicken when she made Woman Of Straw but she was still an unusually attractive woman even by movie stars standards and, for me at least, makes all the glamor contenders who came later look hopelessly inadequate.

I have never understood why Woman Of Straw was not available on disc before. I'm delighted it has now appeared on Blu-ray disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks