What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pork Chop Hill -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Lewis Milestone's Pork Chop Hill (1959) is a war story directed by a gentleman who knew how to direct war stories.

This particular war story concerns the Korean War, and the efforts to take control of Pork Chop Hill.

The film is peppered with a superb cast -- Gregory Peck, Harry Guardino, Rip Torn, George Peppard, Bob Steele (of B western fame), and the great Woody Strode.

It's one of the films that, once viewed, will always be remembered, by many for a single shot.

Olive's new Blu-ray is a good-looking release.  Dupes are what the are, and there's a bit of minor dirt, but shadow detail, and black levels, which are important to this film, both seem in place.

Grain structure is fine for a dupe.

A nice Blu-ray from Olive of a quality film.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my personal favorites. I'm getting ready to watch it now. I have to compare it to my Region B Blu-ray. Anyhow, I'll be sending it back to Amazon for another copy as I just realized the BD case has a crack across the top, several inches long.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Crawford said:
One of my personal favorites. I'm getting ready to watch it now. I have to compare it to my Region B Blu-ray. Anyhow, I'll be sending it back to Amazon for another copy as I just realized the BD case has a crack across the top, several inches long.

Why not keep it, and request that they send you a few cases. Probably cheaper for everyone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
Why not keep it, and request that they send you a few cases. Probably cheaper for everyone.
Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't give you that option. They give you the option of the case not being damaged, but the disc is. Or, both the case and disc are damaged.

As to the disc, I thought it looks very good to excellent as I'm about half way though the film. I think it's superior to the Region B Blu-ray. Tomorrow, after I finish watching this disc in its entirety, I'm going to try to do some comparisons between the two discs on my Samsung F8500 plasma. In short, I am very impressed with this disc so far.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I keep a supply of both DVD and blu keepcases on hand precisely for that reason, Mr. Crawford. Scratches, tears, rips, smashed nubs, cracks, wrinkled plastic etc. It's just easier to toss the defective case and replace it with a new one rather than go to the hassle of an exchange.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I finish watching the Olive BD in its entirety. I'm thankful I bought this BD since Pork Chop Hill is one of my favorite "War" films. This weekend I'm going to compared the Region B disc to this one. I will have to change my region setting on my Oppo 93 player.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just got my copy --- thanks to the recommendation of the above poster --- and

am looking forward to watching this film for the first time this weekend. Will get

back to you with my thoughts, but rarely (if ever) does a Robert Crawford recommendation

disappoint.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Just got my copy --- thanks to the recommendation of the above poster --- and

am looking forward to watching this film for the first time this weekend. Will get

back to you with my thoughts, but rarely (if ever) does a Robert Crawford recommendation

disappoint.
Ron, I hope you enjoy it and you're going to recognize a lot of familiar acting faces from TV and Movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
Well, I finish watching the Olive BD in its entirety. I'm thankful I bought this BD since Pork Chop Hill is one of my favorite "War" films. This weekend I'm going to compared the Region B disc to this one. I will have to change my region setting on my Oppo 93 player.
I did so last night and found little difference between the two 1080p discs. Perhaps, the Olive disc looks slightly better, but not by much.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
As to cases, I can't speak for all regions, zones, counties, etc., but in Vancouver there is an outfit that will hawk you a BR case for about 25 cents. I'm sure other suppliers can be dug up in other towns and cities, so why waste the postage?

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Robert Harris said:
Lewis Milestone's Pork Chop Hill (1959) is a war story directed by a gentleman who knew how to direct war stories.

This particular war story concerns the Korean War, and the efforts to take control of Pork Chop Hill.

The film is peppered with a superb cast -- Gregory Peck, Harry Guardino, Rip Torn, George Peppard, Bob Steele (of B western fame), and the great Woody Strode.

It's one of the films that, once viewed, will always be remembered, by many for a single shot.

Olive's new Blu-ray is a good-looking release. Dupes are what the are, and there's a bit of minor dirt, but shadow detail, and black levels, which are important to this film, both seem in place.

Grain structure is fine for a dupe.

A nice Blu-ray from Olive of a quality film.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Recommended

RAH

Robert, I was pleased to see this one released. I bought it and was quite amazed the line up of talent on this film. There are many actors who would go on to excel as leading men and character actors in the coming decade and later. Interesting, I didn't recognize "Bobby" Blake as the runner for some time. :)

One question, what "Single shot" are you referring to in the film that will be remembered by many?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks