What's new

Arrow Films to release Day of Anger, Blind Woman's Curse, and Mark of the Devil (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Arrow Films (UK) to release Day of Anger,
Blind Woman's Curse, and Mark of the Devil in the US
via MVD Entertainment Group
MVD7119BR.jpg
MVD Entertainment Group announces the distribution of Arrow Video in North America with a host of cult titles receiving deluxe treatment in video, audio, supplements and artwork. Arrow's global reputation as one of the finest labels in the world has come about through consistent high quality product and a focus on fan-based products always at its core. This includes a major investment on restoring original material through modern techniques as well as pioneering packaging solutions and newly commissioned artwork for each release.

Arrow launch titles include Tonino Valerii's Spaghetti Western Day of Anger [I Giorni dell'ira, aka Gunlaw] starring genre icons Lee Van Cleef and Giuliano Gemma; Michael Armstrong's bloody and brutal critique of state-funded religious corruption Mark of the Devil in a director-approved release; and the thrillingly bizarro yakuza-samurai-ghost story-horror hybrid from Teruo Ishii, Blind Woman's Curse (1971, also known as Black Cat's Revenge). Future releases include films never-before-released on DVD and/or Blu-ray from European and Japanese cult directors.

The launch l kicks-off with North American Blu-ray premieres of Mark of the Devil on March 17th, followed by Blind Woman's Curse on March 24th and Day of Anger on March 31st.

DAY OF ANGER (Blu-ray / DVD):
When Sergio Leone turned Lee Van Cleef into a major star with For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the actor sensibly stayed in Italy to make several more spaghetti westerns, including this one from Leone's former assistant Tonino Valerii that genre aficionados rank amongst the best ever made. Giuliano Gemma plays street cleaner Scott Mary, relentlessly bullied by the people of the small town of Clifton. When legendarily ruthless master gunfighter Frank Talby (Van Cleef) rides into town, Scott seizes the opportunity to lift himself out of the gutter, and possibly even surpass Talby's own skills. But what is Talby doing in Clifton in the first place? This lively, intelligent western, notable for the chemistry between its charismatic leads, some memorable action set-pieces (including a rifle duel on horseback that has to be seen to be believed), and a jazzy Riz Ortolani score, is presented here in an exclusive high-definition restoration from the original Techniscope negative.

BLIND WOMAN'S CURSE (Blu-ray / DVD):
A thrilling Yakuza film featuring eye-popping visuals, sensational fight sequences and the gorgeous Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood, Stray Cat Rock), in her first major role. Akemi (Kaji) is a dragon tattooed leader of the Tachibana Yakuza clan. In a duel with a rival gang Akemi slashes the eyes of an opponent and a black cat appears, to lap the blood from the gushing wound. The cat along with the eye-victim go on to pursue Akemi's gang in revenge, leaving a trail of dead Yakuza girls, their dragon tattoos skinned from their bodies. A bizarre blend of the female Yakuza film and traditional Japanese ghost story, with a strong dash of grotesque-erotica (the same movement was a sensibility of Edogawa Rampo whose works were adapted by Ishii in Horrors of Malformed Men), Blind Woman's Curse is a delirious mash-up of classic genre tropes, of which Ishii was no stranger, having directed everything from Super Giant films to Biker movies!

MARK OF THE DEVIL (Blu-ray / DVD):
Once proclaimed as "positively the most horrifying film ever made", Mark of the Devil arrives in a director-approved edition featuring a new restoration of the feature. A bloody and brutal critique of religious corruption, Mark of the Devil sees horror icon Udo Kier (Flesh for Frankenstein, Suspiria) play a witchfinder's apprentice whose faith in his master (Herbert Lom) becomes severely tested when they settle in an Austrian village. Presided over by the sadistic Albino (a memorably nasty turn from Reggie Nalder), the film presents its morality not so much in shades of grey as shades of black. Written and directed by Michael Armstrong, who would later pen Eskimo Nell, The Black Panther and House of the Long Shadows, this classic shocker has lost none of its power over the years.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
photo%201-2.jpeg

Well Day of Anger is one of the most thorough presentations of a Euro-cult film I have ever seen. Including both versions of the film, full English and Italian audio with English subs, a stunning HD print and over an hour of extra features.

This one is a must-have for any genre collectors.

Day of Anger review - including HD screencaps.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Good review, but it seems little interest on here for discussion on Arrow titles?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Based on the other thread, I can't help but think it's sour grapes against Arrow.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Based on the other thread, I can't help but think it's sour grapes against Arrow.
I'm sure that's true for a handful of people but at the same time, this board doesn't seem to have a lot of people who are interested in the kinds of movies that Arrow is/will be releasing. And I'm not knocking anyone because they haven't announced anything that I'm interested in either (and I'm probably much more in their demographic than 9 out of 10 HTFers).

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
tele1962 said:
Ah I see.
You see what? You see some people writing about a business model - that's hand wringing? No one was hand wringing about product, you'll note. So you boys think that the reason there's no interest in these threads is because of some posts about crowd fundraising? Am I right on this? Perhaps there's a lack of interest in this thread because not that many people are interested in these titles? Just a thought. Of these three, I've bought Day of Anger, which I'm very much looking forward to receiving on Friday.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
haineshisway said:
You see what? You see some people writing about a business model - that's hand wringing? No one was hand wringing about product, you'll note. So you boys think that the reason there's no interest in these threads is because of some posts about crowd fundraising? Am I right on this? Perhaps there's a lack of interest in this thread because not that many people are interested in these titles? Just a thought. Of these three, I've bought Day of Anger, which I'm very much looking forward to receiving on Friday.

Ah, I see.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Russell G said:

I have a number of Arrow discs, but their North American releases haven't interested me yet. I am disappointed in the pricing, though - seems like it's cheaper to just order from the UK.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:

Look at the context of my post again, I asked " what other thread " I got a link and replied " ah I see" meaning I know which thread your talking about, nothing more.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
haineshisway said:
Perhaps there's a lack of interest in this thread because not that many people are interested in these titles? Just a thought.

There's a total lack of interest on my part in these three titles, and I don't think my tastes and enthusiasms are unusual.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robin9 said:
There's a total lack of interest on my part in these three titles, and I don't think my tastes and enthusiasms are unusual.

I just find it a little strange that other forums are buzzing about Arrow, especially when they are turning out the titles they are and their commitment to quality that some are not willing to give them a go. But never mind it is what it is, I just feel many of you are loosing out by not even giving them a try and yet more than willing to make a blind purchase from Criterion or maybe another boutique label.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I find it a little strange that you find it a little strange that people are not willing to give them a go. If a label is not releasing films that people are interested in, then that's the way it is. Why would they give a try to pricey titles that they don't want in the first place? I know you love them and others seem to as well, but you can't shove down people's throats that which they do not want. I have several UK Arrow releases, most of which I'm very happy with and some of which I'm not. I've purchased Day of Anger and I certainly will purchase Blood and Black Lace but the others hold no interest for me at all. And a list price of forty bucks? Funny no one is going on about THAT. Yes, you can get them at Amazon for about twenty-seven plus shipping and tax, so thirty bucks all in, which is, you know, what another boutique label charges and which people go on ad nauseum about.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
haineshisway said:
I find it a little strange that you find it a little strange that people are not willing to give them a go. If a label is not releasing films that people are interested in, then that's the way it is. Why would they give a try to pricey titles that they don't want in the first place? I know you love them and others seem to as well, but you can't shove down people's throats that which they do not want. I have several UK Arrow releases, most of which I'm very happy with and some of which I'm not. I've purchased Day of Anger and I certainly will purchase Blood and Black Lace but the others hold no interest for me at all. And a list price of forty bucks? Funny no one is going on about THAT. Yes, you can get them at Amazon for about twenty-seven plus shipping and tax, so thirty bucks all in, which is, you know, what another boutique label charges and which people go on ad nauseum about.

People are free to import them if they wish. I am sure once they are established prices will fall and considering the extras and work that goes into many of their titles it does not seem to bad.

I am not shoving anything down anyones throats what i did say is that it seems on here anyway that people will happily pay good money on blind buys from other labels and yet there seems to be no willingness to do so with Arrow on here compared to everywhere else.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Arrow releases good quality product, but they seem to be gravitating towards cult titles which I and many others have no real interest in. The last disc of theirs I bought was Time Bandits, I'm tempted to blind buy Day of Anger, but that's it. You can't force people to be interested in a movie if they're not, just because Arrow is releasing it!

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I have bought Day of Anger (due to arrive today) but echoing Persianimmortal's comment, I do not have much interest in the other two from the initial titles, particularly at the price point of circa $30. I also have a number of Arrow titles from England all of which I am happy with.

Regards,

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I watched the new Arrow Day of Anger blu-ray last night. Pretty fantastic set for a fairly obscure Spaghetti Western title. I was very impressed. It is definitely a niche title for people into Spaghetti Westerns but if you are one of these people I would say go get this.

Since Arrow is considered by many people to be in the same league as Criterion...and really in terms of the effort that goes into presenting the films they choose to release I think that's a valid comparison...they seem to use the same retail pricing model as Criterion. $39.95 is the same price both companies use for MSRP. I don't think they are out of line with that price and it obviously is not the cost most people will pay for the discs. Also it does seem that for these "boutique" labels that a $30.00 plus MSRP is the norm.

I think the titles they are choosing to release so far in the US are "collector's" titles. In the same way much of what Criterion releases are "collector's" titles. I like the variation so far on these US releases, a Spaghetti Western, a cult horror film, a Bava film and I think and hope there are collectors out there that would create a market for these. People will probably say that the films that Arrow select are not the same "quality" as the art house world cinema films Criterion selects but I think that's a good thing that somebody is giving that level of attention to genre pictures as well.

I will pick-up the Bava release, of course, and eventually I will replace my DVD of Mark of the Devil with the Arrow blu. I look forward to seeing what else they release and what directions they go in with the titles they select.

My favorite Arrow release in my collection remains Brian De Palma's Obsession which is region free and honestly a must own and I would certainly say they match Criterion in their presentation of this film and the extras included in the package.

Obsession blu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks