What's new

Silent Running (1972) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Not sure if I'll double dip for this. Had it on LD and now SD, not sure if it warrants a BD in my collection...still love the film! Huey, Dewey and Louie...what a cast!!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Great news. Not my absolute favorite sci-fi film ever, but its up there.

I remember reading in Starlog there was an idea for a sequel that got scrapped. It sounded pretty cool, too bad it never got past the drawing board.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I've been enjoying the nicely supplemented Masters of Cinema Blu for three years now... :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
42303_front.jpg

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Bryan^H said:
Great news. Not my absolute favorite sci-fi film ever, but its up there.

I remember reading in Starlog there was an idea for a sequel that got scrapped. It sounded pretty cool, too bad it never got past the drawing board.
It was a definite influence on a certain 90's cult tv show. ;)

pcvwtkhe0ppa6anmxew7.jpg

One plot point that has long confused me...

If the bio domes could be self sufficient with a drone to tend them, why blow them up at all?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wow. Perhaps Universal is trying to match Warner by ramping up catalog Bluray production as well? I'm in for Silent Running, Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, and Imitation of Life.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I enjoyed this film when I saw it years ago. too bad that I will never see my employer use that American Airlines Space Freighter logo.. :(

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm interested in a comparison with the British and the German BD.

I've got the German already and I'm quiet happy with it, but nevertheless. ;)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
SilverWook said:
One plot point that has long confused me...

If the bio domes could be self sufficient with a drone to tend them, why blow them up at all?
Too far to think for "them". And it was a need for dramatization.
;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Mark-P said:
Wow. Perhaps Universal is trying to match Warner by ramping up catalog Bluray production as well? I'm in for Silent Running, Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, and Imitation of Life.

They've been consistently releasing 3-4 titles a month for a little while now. Granted, many of these are more recent catalog titles from the 90s/00s, but 3-4 titles a month is still 3-4 titles a month. Throw in the occasional title they've licensed to Criterion (like Sullivan's Travels), and they're releasing a solid amount of product.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nice that Universal is giving region 1 SILENT RUNNING, although I have the European steelbook and am utterly happy with it. JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN seems an odd release to me, seeing as how it doesn't appear to be nearly as in-demand as, say THIS ISLAND EARTH and COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, both of which (along with the t.v. movie THE QUESTOR TAPES) were thrown onto a single German Blu-ray, although the movies are standard definition! Hope Uni eventually sees its way to releasing those films here in true 1080p, along with ICEMAN, which was given a horrible pan-and-scan release here (a gorgeous HD master exists for this, but it's not looking like we'll get a disc release).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
One of my favorite movies period.

Looking forward to the blu.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It's shaping up to be a great year for pre-Star Wars 70s SF, with Silent Running, The Andromeda Strain and Zardoz all coming just weeks apart.

For those who have one of the European releases of SR - how's the transfer??

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Craig S said:
It's shaping up to be a great year for pre-Star Wars 70s SF, with Silent Running, The Andromeda Strain and Zardoz all coming just weeks apart.

For those who have one of the European releases of SR - how's the transfer??
Marvelous. Great detail, proper grain, deep blacks, excellent color. Sound is mono and just fine. The disc is loaded - Trumbell commentary, documentaries, trailer, etc. The steelbook edition has a beautiful design and comes with a booklet. Great price, too. Can't go wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When is Andromeda Strain coming? I must've missed that one.

I'm in for Silent Running and Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks