What's new

Warners/Criterion/The Emmigrants (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
1) Has Criterion licensed any Warners titles and/or has Warners allowed Licensing?

2) Would Criterion release The Emigrants if they could?

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
We do know that Badlands was a Warners title that Criterion licensed from them. If I remember correctly, Criterion does have an agreement with them, but they have been tight-lipped about what titles will come as part of the deal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does Warner still own the rights to Stagecoach? If so then that's another title Criterion released from them on BD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
Does Warner still own the rights to Stagecoach? If so then that's another title Criterion released from them on BD.

No, they lost the rights about a year before Criterion released it along with a couple other John Ford titles.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
No, WB let those rights expire and Criterion licensed it from Westchester Films.

Badlands is the only WB that Criterion has released, but they have hinted at Malick's The New World (at last year's Wexner talk and this year's New Year's Day drawing) and some unknown others.

I think Criterion has expressed interest in The Emigrants (and The New Land), but who knows if they were able to license it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Stagecoach, To Be or Not to Be, and Foreign Correspondent were originally released on DVD by Warner via licensing from Westchester (then Castle Hill Productions), but the current editions are direct from Westchester. Badlands is currently the only Warner license that's out, but it seems like more are on the way.

Louis Letizia said:
Mishima was also a Warner film released by Criterion

The packaging indicates it was licensed from American Zoetrope.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
battlebeast said:
1) Has Criterion licensed any Warners titles and/or has Warners allowed Licensing?

2) Would Criterion release The Emigrants if they could?
THE EMIGRANTS was a 2 part film made for Swedish television. It was release in cinemas internationally as a 2 part film .(EMIGRANTS and A NEW LAND) - both masterpieces, A bluray release would be most welcome. They are often shown locally on TV. They were also a huge hit at the local box office.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I understand that one or both films were slightly trimmed (why?) by WB for domestic release. We need to see these films uncut. They are, indeed, masterpieces.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
TCM is showing THE EMIGRANTS this coming Friday at 5:15 P.M.EST. Not sure what kind of transfer they will be showing, but this is a hard film to see. Is there any word of a restoration of this and THE NEW LAND or a possible release on blu ray? It certainly deserves to be seen... definitely should be more available.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
"The Emigrants" and "The New Land" were available via one of the streaming services a couple of years ago (I think it was Amazon Prime). Picture quality was underwhelming; neither was in HD. The films are leisurely paced but very absorbing---well worth seeing.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Erik_H said:
"The Emigrants" and "The New Land" were available via one of the streaming services a couple of years ago (I think it was Amazon Prime). Picture quality was underwhelming; neither was in HD. The films are leisurely paced but very absorbing---well worth seeing.
Were they in the original Swedish Language with English subtitles? I refuse to watch any films that have been dubbed.

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Robert Harris, I'd love to have your insight on these. Any chance Criterion could release them?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I would LOVE to see Criterion release "The Emmigrants." I watched it a fee years ago on VHS, and the quality was... VHS. I don't know why they would cut the film, it needs to be uncut. CRITERION would see to that.

I am going to watch the TCM broadcAst to see the quality.

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Not sure if this means a blu ray is in the works, but TCM is showing THE EMIGRANTS in HD on June 30 - I'm recording, and will post my opinion of what the film looks like. Personally I'm very excited - this film has been on my bucket list for some time.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Better luck this time around. Last time it was shown (also in HD) it was the dubbed version, to be avoided at all costs, and the print showed a desperate need for some work. I saw this film when it premiered. This version is a shame. Even the one streaming in the Warner Archives looks ragged, but at least it is subtitled.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The version of THE EMIGRANTS shown on TCM a few months ago was pan and scan, dubbed, and looked to be a transfer created for vhs. Very sad. They did show Troell's HERE IS YOUR LIFE recently in a fine restored version, I assume the same transfer as for the upcoming blu ray from Criterion. And it is as remarkable as his other films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks